Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
doc_mart
doc_mart is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle II
Quick Formatting Q: (Smashwords and DTP)

My wife and I are working on a Niche community educational flash card tool. Wondering if people can help us move ahead. I have done some text formatting before, but I think you all could take the guess work out of this.

We want to have words by themselves in the top, middle of a first page

Then when you hit next page it moves to the definition in the middle of the word by itself on p. 2. Then it moves to the next word etc.

My question is largely about pagebreaks and the DTP/MeatGrinder:

DTP: If I format this by using page breaks and centering in O_o or other wordprocessor, will it pick up the formatting or should I do it in html? Would someone give an example of how to set up tags for it?

MeatGrinder: will the MG "read" page breaks? I have read in places that is does. Format guide says that centering is no problem.

The thing about the tool is that if page breaks won't work we probably wouldn't be able to do it as we have it in our heads.

thanks.
doc_mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Not too sure this is the correct forum for this question ... have you had a look in Here <> - Workshop ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
doc_mart
doc_mart is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle II
Shoot: I thought I WAS there! Multiple tabs open. Sorry.
doc_mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No problem, easy to get lost in this place need any further help just holler !!!
Old 07-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Robin O'Neill
Connoisseur
Robin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PC
Are there "pages" in an ebook? Wouldn't the page orientation change if the reader made the font larger or smaller? That would be completely beyond your control.

The centering is no problem. I did a book with images and recipes that were centered.
I was under the impression that the manuscript itself was just one long scroll. That's why it was impossible for me to index the recipes as to page number. I could list them but not state what "page" they were on.

I hope I've understood your question.

Robin

Last edited by Robin O'Neill; 07-11-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo
Robin O'Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin O'Neill View Post
Are there "pages" in an ebook? Wouldn't the page orientation change if the reader made the font larger or smaller? That would be completely beyond your control.

The centering is no problem. I did a book with images and recipes that were centered.
I was under the impression that the manuscript itself was just one long scroll. That's why it was impossible for me to index the recipes as to page number. I could list them but not state what "page" they were on.

I hope I've understood your question.

Robin
true to some extent there are no pages in ebooks, though they can be coded as such - especially ePub, and, of course, pdf (but that's another story).
if you create in html, you can use internal links.