Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-20-2014, 05:58 AM   #391
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
We discussed it on github and decided to first test it on mobileread and XDA-developers before bringing it to Google Play.

Koreader was originally for Kindle only, then it was ported to Kobo devices in mid 2013. The 7 devices with their ever changing firmwares are now well supported. However, the port to android reaches a multitude of devices and different firmwares a magnitude larger. So koreader needs feedback on how it runs and on the problems that arise.

We are getting feedback and bugs are ironed out. More feedback is much appreciated!

If you have an issue with koreader, post it here

For an impression of the speed of development, you could look at the latest nightly releases here.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:31 AM   #392
mysweety
Connoisseur
mysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the rough

Device: Hanlin V3, PB360
Mantano Reader

I have found that the Mantano Reader - I use the expensive version - is the only reader that deals well with pdf files on a 7" Kobo tablet.

You could always keep your files in the File Manager in separate subdirectoies and then import when you need to read a book. You can always delete from the reader when you want.

Hope that helps
mysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #393
Ankhi_sena_mun
Ankhi_sena_mun began at the beginning.

Device: moto E / win 7 laptop / padfone 2 / fedora
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweety View Post
I have found that the Mantano Reader - I use the expensive version - is the only reader that deals well with pdf files on a 7" Kobo tablet.

You could always keep your files in the File Manager in separate subdirectoies and then import when you need to read a book. You can always delete from the reader when you want.

Hope that helps
I know that!!!! .... I am just lazy and rather open directly from directoriy without having to remember to delete stuff ....

also I would rather not use untested stuff ....
Ankhi_sena_mun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #394
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweety View Post

Hope that helps
When "deleting" a book, does it physically delete the book or just the Mantano's database?

Haven't ask Mantano yet, but I've got the Mantano premium because it displays the illustrations within a book on the Tab Pro 8.4's 2650x1600 rez; Aldiko won't do it.

Mantano imported the files from Aldiko but it really just puts them onto its database & access to the book is really via the path to the book. So I don't want to physically delete the book but just "uninstall" from its database.

I still need to have Aldiko if just to be my "database" of ebooks that I can do backups onto my computer.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #395
brouer
Enthusiast
brouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipedia

Device: Various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
When "deleting" a book, does it physically delete the book or just the Mantano's database?
Try it.
When I press Delete, the confirmation dialogue has an "Also delete files" checkbox.
brouer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #396
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
What about updating this thread? KOreader is getting better at Android too!

The forums needs a better cleaning, some forum threads are abandoned
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #397
R3zlaDaniell
Banned
R3zlaDaniell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for this. Will have to check some of these if they're still around lol
R3zlaDaniell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:46 AM   #398
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I have an Icarus coming soon, and wanted to know the best Android reader to use on it. My wishlist is:

- Calibre integration. I buy from a number of sources and consolidate and manage my ebook library using Calibre.
- Ability to browse by author as well as by title. By this, I mean to display a list of authors which will click-through to a list of titles by that author.
- Displays series information without having to hack titles. (Remembering series order is not easy!)
- Collections support - I have Calibre set up to automatically manage collections on my Kobo Touch (when I can persuade Calibre and the Mac to talk to the Touch), and would like to continue this arrangement.
- Integration with LibraryThing - i.e. the ability to display my LT catalogue when offline (second-hand bookstores etc). This isn't too necessary as I have access to an app that does that, but it would be nice as I have to sideload the app and I don't think it's being updated anymore.
- SD card support - I'll be storing my library on a 32 Gb SD card and using a card reader to transfer book files from iCloud.

I used to read on my Nexus 7, and used FBReader linked into my library stored into my Dropbox account. However, my library has expanded enough that I now use iCloud which I hope won't be a problem.

Any suggestions?
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #399
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Main suggestion would be not to worry about the library abilities of the reading app, and use Calibre Companion to manage your library on the device. Its abilities as a library manager far outstrip anything any reading app can do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #400
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Trouble is, I want a reading app to have the ability to display metadata entered via Calibre...
Old 04-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #401
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Trouble is, I want a reading app to have the ability to display metadata entered via Calibre...
You'll be able to see all your metadata in Calibre Companion. Have you given it a go? It really is very good! When I had an Android device, I found the combination of CC as a library manager and MoonReader Pro as a reading app to be excellent.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:45 AM   #402
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You'll be able to see all your metadata in Calibre Companion. Have you given it a go? It really is very good! When I had an Android device, I found the combination of CC as a library manager and MoonReader Pro as a reading app to be excellent.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #403
maddz
Wizard

I haven't got the Icarus yet! I'm trying to sort out what I need so I can do a seamless transfer away from the Kobo.

Basically, my main computer is a Mac which is where I do my library management using Calibre. All my ebook acquisitions are downloaded there, loaded into Calibre and the metadata edited before I transfer to the device. I really don't want to manage my library via a small touchscreen and virtual keyboard (I have enough problems replying to email on the iPad mini). The ereader is for offline reading - when I am away from home, I have zero connectivity unless I am connected to a WiFi hotspot. (No, I do not have a smartphone - just an old PAYG phone with no data plan primarily used for making calls).

Hence my requirement for metadata created via Calibre to be visible in the reader. Although my Calibre library resides in iCloud, my primary source for the content will be the onboard memory with a 32 Gb SD card as back-up. The ereader is going to be used off-line.

Hope this clarifies my requirements!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #404
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't think you understand what Calibre Companion actually does. It's not a replacement for Calibre on your Mac; it's a companion for Calibre (hence the name) which you install on your Android device, and which then synchronises with your main Calibre library. You can then do library browsing, searching, etc (all offline) on your tablet, and once you've found a book which interests you, open it in your chosen reading app. It's a wonderful tool. Do take a look at it.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #405
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
I haven't got the Icarus yet! I'm trying to sort out what I need so I can do a seamless transfer away from the Kobo.

Basically, my main computer is a Mac which is where I do my library management using Calibre. All my ebook acquisitions are downloaded there, loaded into Calibre and the metadata edited before I transfer to the device. I really don't want to manage my library via a small touchscreen and virtual keyboard (I have enough problems replying to email on the iPad mini). The ereader is for offline reading - when I am away from home, I have zero connectivity unless I am connected to a WiFi hotspot. (No, I do not have a smartphone - just an old PAYG phone with no data plan primarily used for making calls).

Hence my requirement for metadata created via Calibre to be visible in the reader. Although my Calibre library resides in iCloud, my primary source for the content will be the onboard memory with a 32 Gb SD card as back-up. The ereader is going to be used off-line.

Hope this clarifies my requirements!
That sounds like what you get using the KOReader's "Calibre wireless connection", it adds KOReader on your device as a wireless device in calibre. You can then send selected books to your KOReader running device from within calibre. (This assumes KOReader is working on your Android device, it is not on them all yet.) It works fine on my Kobo AuraHD.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one