Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 02:10 AM   #1
chmreader
chmreader began at the beginning.

Device: 6700
E-book with e-ink, html browser and 3G

Hello. I have been waiting for an e-book which satisfies my needs. I have not been able to find one yet. I am posting my requirements. I hope the experts here can help me.

(1) Need a reasonable html browser as I have a huge 2 GB e-book which is full of html links with table of contents etc.

(2) Need a 3G option to insert a gsm sim card to browse websites since I have to reply to questions on the move which may require internet search.

(3) Need a bigger touchscreen 7" or above.

(4) Pure e-ink with very long battery like 5000 pages or so, not the 10 or 14 hour battery life like the hybrids.

(5) Big on-screen or external keyboard for typing notes etc.

(6) Wacom or similar pen based input for writing, annotating etc.

Any help on any e-book which comes closest to the above or even has a few of the above features will be most welcome. Thanks in advance.
chmreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid that your requirements are grossly unrealistic; there is no device which even comes close to them.

The iRex DR1000S is probably closest.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 04:51 AM   #3
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Should it also be able to tapdance and sing opera? Just wondering.

Oh, to have not a completely content-less post, I do agree with Harry, the iRex is probably the closest thing right now.

Last edited by acidzebra; 10-23-2009 at 04:56 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
An eink reader and a good phone seems to be one solution.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Doesn't appear to be a reader, at least a well known one, that meets all your requirements. Well, if you leave out the touchscreen / pen requirement, then you have the Kindle DX. The DR1000S is no good since it has no 3G or Wifi connectivity. Perhaps if you wait for the DR800SG to come out, though that won't have a browser unless someone hacks one in...
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
I'm sorry, but there are no e-ink laptops. That appears to be what you're looking for.

Seriously, you should be looking at laptops or netbooks.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
kconan
kconan began at the beginning.

Device: nonw
hi guys,

seeing videos of Kindle 2 and DX with their limited browser, makes me desire a future ereader with a full internet browser. Don't you wish to read your favourite websites with your personal e-reader?

Don't you think this is a neccesary step forward to these devices to become much more popular and "desirable". I'm not asking for a full tablet-pc with e-ink, I just ask a nice browser application (and full wi-fi) to add capabilities to the readers.
kconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See E-book Reader Matrix: Larger Devices for every large screen EInk device we know about. There may be several more announced at CES in January. The Plastic Logic Que might meet your needs, but it is hard to tell with an un-released device. The Astak Mentor Electra might do so as well, this is a standard Netronix design that will be sold with other names and sometimes with other software (e.g. the PocketBook 902). There is no firm release date, or firm specs, for the Electra yet.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
arekieh
Connoisseur
arekieh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 (OTW), PRS-300B (For Sale)
what about the entourage edge?
arekieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #10
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconan View Post
hi guys,

seeing videos of Kindle 2 and DX with their limited browser, makes me desire a future ereader with a full internet browser. Don't you wish to read your favourite websites with your personal e-reader?
In fact, no, I don't. I would really prefer that my e-book reader be separate from my internet browser.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
kwnewton
kwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
In fact, no, I don't. I would really prefer that my e-book reader be separate from my internet browser.
I mostly read fiction. I want the story to take me away, not the 'net.
kwnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconan View Post
hi guys,

Don't you think this is a neccesary step forward to these devices to become much more popular and "desirable". I'm not asking for a full tablet-pc with e-ink, I just ask a nice browser application (and full wi-fi) to add capabilities to the readers.
Absolutely agree...but I think I want it only in a larger format reading device. Not sure I need connectivity or a touch panel out of a smaller 5" reader. But done right and at the right price point I would at least look.

I am not a huge fan of the E-ink brand of epaper displays but the newer devices seem to be a lot more readable, thanks I am sure to some improved top layers and filters.

What you will find here on MR is some pretty polarized people...those who insist E-ink brand epaper panels are the "only" way to go and everyone must use them vs. those of us who do not drink that cool-aid and see where there is room for other display options so people can decide which technology they prefer and works best for their needs. Current E-ink brand panels are not ideal for web browsing for the most part but this will improve over time but also newer/improved versions of epaper panels will be released in devices, but still it would be nice to be able to do a bit of browsing now and then.

I say if you need what is posted in the OP, it will happen this next year sometime. It has to, these readers already have PLENTY of CPU power but they are lacking in certain areas of the display's ability as well as don't have enough internal memory for a lot of the things some people want/need to do...and more memory needs more battery power, not a lot but enough to cut time before a new charge is needed. I guess I am just pointing out there are trade offs to many of these additional functions. But there will be devices which offer these features, and I expect them in 2010 sometime, even as soon as CES Las Vegas in January.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote