Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #196
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlady View Post
Sorry, i am new here and also first time to buy a e-book reader. I read all the post here but still don't understand. how can i buy a nook color from Australia, what all said here use USA address to register, but if i use USA address to register then how they ship the Nook Color to my Australia address??

go to this site
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1304787

and read the comments there, you will learn everything you want and more on getting a nook in Australia
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:13 AM   #197
mattjs
mattjs began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
B&N is pretty serious about regional restrictions. I just tried to buy a few ebooks from B&N using a US card from overseas...didn't work. Although I could make the purchase, it would not let me download and then immediately canceled the order. So my guess is that they record your IP address at the time you click order.

Granted I tried this with free books (different rules for public domain?) but several people on the B&N site message board are complaining that they can't buy books overseas despite using a US card/address. Looks like its the petition or bust.

Btw, apparently wi-fi will only be available at B&N stores initially, but the hope is later they will open it up for use everywhere, this was reported on Gizmodo.
This is easily fixed by using a proxy or VPN network with a endpoint or servers in the US (some let you choose) this might cost a few $ but you can buy time or download bandwidth through some of these services without signing up or google and find a new one in the US with the initial free trial!
Given that there really is no other way than using your IP (other than through device serial numbers etc) to work out if you arr an ex-US buyer then this Should work and solve all of your problems and forever!!!
mattjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #198
barrist
Enthusiast
barrist began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm in Canada and got a 3G nook through ebay. I knew it wouldn't work here but it was cheaper than getting a wifi through an forwarding service anyway.

If/when B&N does sell the nook to Canadians, does anyone think they would issue new sim cards for those that imported them to be able to use a 3g network here? Or would the At&t one work?
barrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #199
ibdave
ibdave began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist View Post
I'm in Canada and got a 3G nook through ebay. I knew it wouldn't work here but it was cheaper than getting a wifi through an forwarding service anyway.

If/when B&N does sell the nook to Canadians, does anyone think they would issue new sim cards for those that imported them to be able to use a 3g network here? Or would the At&t one work?
Can you buy and load books or other offerings from BN? Have you used it to borrow an ebook from your pulic library? I have a relative in California and can use that mail address if necessary, but buy books from home using local wifi or my own IP via my PC to a nook - can I do this?
ibdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #200
barrist
Enthusiast
barrist began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdave View Post
Can you buy and load books or other offerings from BN? Have you used it to borrow an ebook from your pulic library? I have a relative in California and can use that mail address if necessary, but buy books from home using local wifi or my own IP via my PC to a nook - can I do this?
I can borrow books from my library (Ottawa) and load em on my nook. I've actually not purchased books from BN, only Kobo as their prices seem to be cheaper, for some books anyway.

I believe for BN, there are certain books that have restrictions on being sold in Canada, but there are many you should be able to buy I think. I at least have my nook account registered, and I didn't require a US address for that.
barrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #201
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdave View Post
Only a few books (I believe one publisher) on the B&N site are available for Canada. But because of that Canadian IP-adresses are allowed.
If you register you B&N account with an US shipping and billing address (you can use any valid US address) you should have access to all the B&N books (on the Nook and on your PC).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #202
ibdave
ibdave began at the beginning.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist View Post
I can borrow books from my library (Ottawa) and load em on my nook. I've actually not purchased books from BN, only Kobo as their prices seem to be cheaper, for some books anyway...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Only a few books (I believe one publisher) on the B&N site are available for Canada. But because of that Canadian IP-adresses are allowed.
If you register you B&N account with an US shipping and billing address (you can use any valid US address) you should have access to all the B&N books (on the Nook and on your PC).
Thank you - both replies are very helpful.
ibdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #203
Tommo
Tommo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook purchases internationally.

Love the banter re the Nook. I am looking at the new Colour version but have a difficulty in paying that money when not being able to use all the capabilities like, the Dictionary is not accessible for non-N&B purchased books, and...even as a B&N member, though an Aussie, I cannot buy or even get free B&N books as I do not have a US or Canadian credit card mailing address. That sucks. Any way around this issue or do I just stick with purchasing non N&B books and using all the other fab Nook features? It is a great product though.
Tommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #204
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
Love the banter re the Nook. I am looking at the new Colour version but have a difficulty in paying that money when not being able to use all the capabilities like, the Dictionary is not accessible for non-N&B purchased books, and...even as a B&N member, though an Aussie, I cannot buy or even get free B&N books as I do not have a US or Canadian credit card mailing address. That sucks. Any way around this issue or do I just stick with purchasing non N&B books and using all the other fab Nook features? It is a great product though.
The credit card address is not verified at the credit card company. You can use any valid US address as shipping and billing addres for your B&N account, If you want to buy the Nook Color use a US mail forwarding address from websites like Borderlinx or USunlocked.
Before buying things at the B&N website you first need to start a VPN on your PC to get a US ip-address. You can use VPN's like Hotspot Shield (free) or alwaysVPN ($8.50).

I pre-ordered the Nook Color the same way as my Nook Classic, using alwaysVPN and my Borderlinx address. It was shipped November 16 and has almost arrived in the Netherlands (according to DHL tracking it is already in the UK).
Old 11-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #205
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
I got the Nook color from abroad without using a US VPN, but B&N had me call them to make sure I understood I couldn't buy from the B&N bookstore from outside US and Canada. A quick Skype call and the order was approved.
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:01 AM   #206
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypocaramel View Post
I got the Nook color from abroad without using a US VPN, but B&N had me call them to make sure I understood I couldn't buy from the B&N bookstore from outside US and Canada. A quick Skype call and the order was approved.
If you use the VPN you probably will not have to call B&N (I assume this, I am not sure).

And you need a VPN to buy books anyway.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #207
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
Possibly. I usually use EPUB with no DRM and ADE books, but I might try B&N books and magazines to use the home screen and lending functions with my US friends.
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:36 AM   #208
grimborg
Enthusiast
grimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-T1
I don't get it: B&N is going out of their way to prevent their ebooks being sold internationally. They clearly don't want us in their shop. We shouldn't be going out of our way to sneak in and give them our money: we should just buy our books elsewhere where we are welcome.

If this happened in a brick-and-mortar shop, it'd be outrageous, and we wouldn't be be discussing how to fake our best American accent and where to find the most American looking clothes so that they would not find out our real nationality and kick us out.

Just don't buy there. There's plenty of other shops.

That said, I did buy a Nook (from ebay), thus indirectly giving my money to B&N. It seemed to me that it was the best ebook reader available. But ebooks from B&N, certainly not.

Re the Nook2, I don't get it either: it's just an underpowered and purposefully limited tablet. I really prefer reading on eink, but if it's a color ebook reader with a fast screen you're after, you're probably better off with a tablet that can run the operating system of your preference, and even will let you use it with a wireless keyboard if you want (and it will let you read books from any place.)

What do you think?
grimborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #209
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimborg View Post
I don't get it: B&N is going out of their way to prevent their ebooks being sold internationally. They clearly don't want us in their shop. We shouldn't be going out of our way to sneak in and give them our money: we should just buy our books elsewhere where we are welcome.

If this happened in a brick-and-mortar shop, it'd be outrageous, and we wouldn't be be discussing how to fake our best American accent and where to find the most American looking clothes so that they would not find out our real nationality and kick us out.

Just don't buy there. There's plenty of other shops.
You cannot blame B&N for geo-restrictions. The publishers (and especially the agency 5 publishers) are forcing e-bookstores to implement strict geo-restrictions. It is the publishers that are to blame for geo-restrictions.
Recently the publishers have forced Waterstones and WH Smith in the UK to stop selling books outside the UK.
Also recently the publishers have complained that Amazon's geo-restrictions are too easy to circumvent.
I expect that short term the geo-restrictions problem will get even worse, with publishers forcing bookstores to close the available loopholes.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #210
gypsyfay
gypsyfay began at the beginning.

I purchased two a week ago and I am at an FPO address in the Middle East.
gypsyfay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas