Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
Cteavin
Cteavin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iBooks
Metadata: Categories and iBook

Hi,

I'm new to Calibre. I discovered it when I needed a work around to get books into my iPad after upgrading to Maverick.

I've discovered that through Calibre I can fix all the metadata painlessly, and I'm really grateful, but I noticed when I put those books into iBooks they were not separated by categories as iTunes had done. I'll try to be more clear.

iTunes put the books automatically into a BOOKS or PDF Category (within iBooks) from which I could select and make new categories, like Cooking, Computers, Comics. However, Pre-Maverick the books I added to iBooks had metadata that automatically separated those books into more specific categories like American Cooking, Japanese Cooking, Swedish Cooking so they were easier to find when I switched to List View. This behavior is not gone -- or I can't it.

Is there a field I'm missing in Calibre that will cause iBooks to separate my books into categories in List Mode? If not, is there another epub/pdf reader for the iPad that will give me more control over how I arrange my books on the iPad?

Thank you,
Cteavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Apple introduced substantial changes to the way that books are handled under Mavericks, breaking calibre's ability to manage them. You can read more about that here in the calibre forum. The linked thread also includes alternative approaches to adding books to your iPad, including a recommendation for using Marvin, an excellent iBooks alternative.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert