Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #61
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
@hawhill: Is adding support for 8bpp difficult? (aimed for KT)

Error: 4BPP is supported for now
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #62
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I don't think so, since the amount of code I had to write at all is quite limited. In fact, it's probably even less code for an 8bit version (8bit uchar is a C type, 4bit high/low nybbles are not).

Then, there still aren't input features yet... (and those would be very different from a K3 to a Kindle Touch...)

Edit: Just had a short look. It's basically a shorter version of the rfb16ToFramebuffer4 function that's missing. Plus a bit of switching logic in main(). However, I'm not very tempted to implement that myself - I can't test it over here.

Last edited by hawhill; 02-27-2012 at 04:17 PM.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #63
arikfunke
Enthusiast
arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: iRex
I have been waiting for a program just as this!

It works great but I am unsure of one thing: should this support forwarding inputs from the kindle to the host?

If I push any button on the kindle, the kindle framework "bleeds" through.
arikfunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #64
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, that's unfortunately the state of things. I've not yet found the time to implement keyboard input. Only a few bits are missing (depending on how symbols/virtual keys are going to be implemented). I think today might be a good day to get back to that :-)
Old 03-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #65
arikfunke
Enthusiast
arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Great! I just wanted to hear that I was not simply too dense to get it working properly. - However, if you feel motivated to do some coding, may I offer my personal "wish-list" for input?

Given that the screen refresh is not too fast, I am not sure many people will be using it as a replacement for a normal keyboard but rather to send single keys to control one particular application? What you you think? How do you intend to use it?

--- As an asside:
I want to use kindlevncviewer on a sailing boat: I have a laptop that runs some navigation & mapping software. Unfortunately it needs to be plugged into the boat's communication network, is "heavy", does not like to get wet and is not sunlight-readible. - So it has to remain in the cabin.

I want to use kindlevncviewer to display the mapping software when I am outside. However I would like to send keys to pan the map for example, or to zoom in/out.
---------

For me it would thus be great if one could define "input macros". E.g. when pressing the key "l" I would like kindlevncviewer to send 10 times the key "left arrow".

Also very useful would be the possibility to link mouse-click commands to a key. E.g. key "a" --> "single mouse click on host display at position (X,Y)"

This would allow creating "keyboard shortcuts" for controlling a particular application without having to go into windows menus, wait for refreshes, etc.

What do you think?
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #66
hawhill
Wizard

I think once again I'll interface the application with Lua and make all of this configurable... Then there's the possibility to have macros and stuff.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #67
hawhill
Wizard

Input handling is in place now. Current version now in the first posting in this topic. Ha, I already implemented half of it and forgot about it.

Edit "config.lua" to suit your needs (and special keyboard layouts). Sorry, you need to learn a slight bit of Lua to do that. But don't worry, it's a language which doesn't present big hurdles when starting with it.

If you build nice keyboard layouts, just publish them here.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #68
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
If you build nice keyboard layouts, just publish them here.
Just for fun, I have coded a layout more or less matching Matan's myts terminal:

Sym+Key are currently unassigned. Scrolling up/down is not implemented.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	layout.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	83553  
Attached Files
File Type: zip myts layout 2012-03-06 updated.zip (43.9 KB, 486 views)

Last edited by PoP; 03-06-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: fixed circumflex instead of caret
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #69
arikfunke
Enthusiast

@hawhill

Input handling via lua is really a great idea! I love how easy it is to modify!

One question though: Is there an easy way to determine screen orientation, e.g. for programming the four-way button?

Distinguishing between portrait and landscape should be easy enough with client_height and client_width, but one still does not know "which" landscape: keys on the left or on the right.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #70
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arikfunke View Post
@hawhill

Input handling via lua is really a great idea! I love how easy it is to modify!

One question though: Is there an easy way to determine screen orientation, e.g. for programming the four-way button?

Distinguishing between portrait and landscape should be easy enough with client_height and client_width, but one still does not know "which" landscape: keys on the left or on the right.
Hi arikfunke,

We have rotation detection in kindlepdfviewer, you can checkout this file:
https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfvie...aster/keys.lua

Then you can adjust the key code according to the mode. kindlepdfviewer even use lua to build its own UI, lots of fun to hack with
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #71
hawhill
Wizard

Good point. I think a fellow developer on the PDF reader project implemented something like this there: https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfvie...aster/keys.lua line 181 onwards.

It's probably overkill to ask for the setting upon each key press, so this could be done once, e.g. by putting it on global level (i.e. not in a function).

That's the nice thing when you use a programming language as configuration language :-)

Edit: Ah, dave beat me to it. That's often the case lately :-P (it's a good thing...). Yep, my preference for Lua had its effect on both projects. It's just so damn easy to integrate into C code and really helps people to realize complex szenarios.

Last edited by hawhill; 03-08-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #72
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
It's probably overkill to ask for the setting upon each key press, so this could be done once, e.g. by putting it on global level (i.e. not in a function).
Ha, you are right.

Quote:
Edit: Ah, dave beat me to it. That's often the case lately :-P (it's a good thing...). Yep, my preference for Lua had its effect on both projects. It's just so damn easy to integrate into C code and really helps people to realize complex szenarios.
LOL, because I have more free time than you
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:21 AM   #73
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
Hi. First thing first: thanks hawhill for your great work!

I'm quite happy with my setup on DXG. There is two problems that bother me though

1. I can't quit the viewer. LP Shift+v+q does not work, neither the home button. The only way I can quit the viewer now is to ssh into my kindle and do the killall manually
2. The Page BCK works but FW doesn't. I know this sounds weird, but it really is. I think a lot of special keys doesn't work as well. The joystick for example.

Here's the part of config.lua that I modified.
Code:
elseif code == KEY_PGBCK then SendKeyEvent(XK_Page_Up, pressed)
elseif code == KEY_PGFWD then SendKeyEvent(XK_Page_Down, pressed)
I think this two issue are probably related. My guess would be the fact that I'm on 3.2.1 on DXG. Can anyone help me?
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #74
hawhill
Wizard

I'd say: debug it :-) insert some print() statements in the code to see if it gets triggered. Or just print out the variable "code", e.g.
Code:
print(code)
(you would need to run the viewer from a terminal to see that output, however)

But before that: Did you comment out the line in the configuration file that sets K3 specific codes? It's on top of the config file.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #75
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
Quote:
I'd say: debug it :-) insert some print() statements in the code to see if it gets triggered. Or just print out the variable "code", e.g.
Code:
print(code)
(you would need to run the viewer from a terminal to see that output, however)

But before that: Did you comment out the line in the configuration file that sets K3 specific codes? It's on top of the config file.

I didn't. Totally didn't see that. All is good now. Thank you!
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc