Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-07-2020, 06:13 PM   #1
Savoir
Savoir began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite B01B 5.6.1.1
Kindle 3rd Gen won't update

Hi all,
It's been a while for me here and I want you to know that I appreciate all you've done to get our Kindles working like they should have been right out of the Amazon box.

Here's my issue:
I have a jail broken Kindle 3rd gen keyboard that I had left sitting on a shelf for years after getting a new Paperwhite model. I had to replace the battery because it wouldn't charge anymore. It now works but, won't let me download any new books apparently because I missed a critical update.
I've tried to update from firmware 3.3 to 3.4 but it won't do it.

My question is:
Is there some process in the jail break that has stopped me from updating?
I only remember doing the screensaver hack but it's been soooo long since I've dealt with any of this stuff that I just don't remember doing anything else.

It seems that there was a hack that supposedly removed Amazon's ability to automatically install updates but I can't put my finger on it.

Any insight to solving this dilemma would be greatly appreciated.
Savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:40 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Check the system logs (;dm), it'll spit out which file it's tripping on, which should help illuminate which hack might be causing the issue.

Or, just throw Kubrick at it to re-image it.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
Savoir
Savoir began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite B01B 5.6.1.1
I must be really rusty at this stuff.
I plugged the device into the USB port on my computer but could not find any log files.

Re-imaging sounds dangerous. I don't want to lose any content. Shoot I can't even remember the password that I used to create this account.
Savoir is offline   Reply With Quote