Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use volume +/- keys for paging in Kindle and Overdrive

I've been really annoyed by the fact that one needs to swipe to switch pages in Overdrive, and I think the Kindle app also had the same issue. So I modified my mod of the Gingerbread keyboard to do paging in Overdrive and Kindle by pressing volume up/down, in the way that works in all decent ebook readers. :-)

If you want other apps to have this, let me know and I'll add them.

Eventually, I might add customization as to which apps get this.

http://code.google.com/p/oc-gb-keyboard/downloads/list

Alas, this won't work if you have some other favorite input method.

To use this, you need to enable the Gingerbread Keyboard in the device's Input Settings, and then you need to select the Gingerbread Keyboard as your input method, by long-tapping on an input field in some app.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like I'm the only one interested in this--nobody has downloaded it. :-(

I just hate flipping pages by tapping the screen or swiping--hard keys are much more comfortable for me.
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I think it's a neat feature but I don't like re-mapping default keys and I don't use the default gingerbread keyboard.

Also most apps allow swyping, but are you aware most apps also allow a tap on the top/bottom corners to advance or decrease the page?

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm a big fan of hard keys as well, which is part of the reason I haven't used overdrive in months. But I find the volume keys to be a little uncomfortable to use. I prefer to use my arrow keys on the keyboard, and mostly hold my TP2 in book form. I wish I could read library books in moon+.

But I do think it's cool you posted this solution. I actually visited the page to see how complex it was, and quickly decided it was over my head. In addition, I've also become attached to swiftkey, so I'd be hesitant to switch keyboards.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
Looks like I'm the only one interested in this--nobody has downloaded it. :-(
I don't use Overdrive -- but this is already built-in on recent versions of the Kindle App (from the Home screen, select More -> Settings -> Volume Buttons Control)
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
yelloguy
Enthusiast
yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: none
I can see the benefit. Unfortunately, the volume keys on my device (Nook Color) are clunky and not precise at all. Sometimes when I press the Vol- ONCE it take me all the way to the bottom of the page in the browser as if I have held it down for long. Due to that I have eschewed the use of Vol keys for paging. It is a little jarring to lose your position when you are reading.

But I can see on another device I would definitely switch to using Vol keys for paging.
yelloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
pruss
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelloguy View Post
I can see the benefit. Unfortunately, the volume keys on my device (Nook Color) are clunky and not precise at all. Sometimes when I press the Vol- ONCE it take me all the way to the bottom of the page in the browser as if I have held it down for long. Due to that I have eschewed the use of Vol keys for paging. It is a little jarring to lose your position when you are reading.

But I can see on another device I would definitely switch to using Vol keys for paging.
That's because volume keys auto-repeat quite fast. The 1.0.7 version of my input method doesn't auto-repeat at all with the volume keys, at least in Overdrive and Kindle, and thereby solves the problem. I would hope that all ebook readers that use volume keys do that. Certainly the APV PDF viewer does. :-)
Old 08-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
pruss
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I'm a big fan of hard keys as well, which is part of the reason I haven't used overdrive in months. But I find the volume keys to be a little uncomfortable to use. I prefer to use my arrow keys on the keyboard, and mostly hold my TP2 in book form. I wish I could read library books in moon+.
Overdrive does do paging with dpad right, so it should work for you (that's how I got it to work with volume keys--the volume keys are set to generate dpad left/right when in Overdrive). Occasionally you have to press it twice (just as you occasionally have to press volume- twice with my input method).
Old 08-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
pruss
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I don't use Overdrive -- but this is already built-in on recent versions of the Kindle App (from the Home screen, select More -> Settings -> Volume Buttons Control)
Good to know. But it doesn't disable key repeat, and the key repeat on volume keys is too fast--it's easy to turn two pages when you only want to turn one.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
pruss
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Also most apps allow swyping, but are you aware most apps also allow a tap on the top/bottom corners to advance or decrease the page?
But then either I have to pull out a stylus or get the screen dirty, and my device's touchscreen isn't that responsive.

Plus it requires use of a second hand, while I can hold my Archos so that the volume keys lie right under a thumb or forefinger. I guess I'm really lazy.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
pruss
Evangelist

Alas, it looks like I may not be using this so much, because Swype finally works on my device. :-) / :-(
Old 08-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
But then either I have to pull out a stylus or get the screen dirty, and my device's touchscreen isn't that responsive.

Plus it requires use of a second hand, while I can hold my Archos so that the volume keys lie right under a thumb or forefinger. I guess I'm really lazy.
Interesting I guess the hardware layout of each device will make this feature useful or not. On the nook the volume buttons are on the top right corner and it's a pain to have to change the volume on the nook(I'm lazy too). Tapping the screen is much easier.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #13
pruss
Evangelist

Wonder if I could set something up to switch to my input method when starting overdrive, and then switch back to swype. There is an app that switches input methods based on orientation, so it can't be completely out of the question, though it would require root.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #14
good153
Enthusiast
good153 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
Thank you a lot, Pruss. I cannot wait to try it.
good153 is offline   Reply With Quote