Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread

I'm addicted to buying ebooks. My TBR list currently contains about 440* ebooks. It has been two days since I last bought an ebook.

I'm hoping to get to the end of June (baby steps!) without buying any more ebooks.

If anyone else would like to join in in this attempt, please add your own target in a comment.

EDIT, June 2012, April 2014, June 2019, April 2020, April 2021:

In this thread we've come up with some simple guidelines to help us resist the purchase of too many new ebooks.
  • Add to wish list rather than buying
  • Only buy if on special offer and on your wish list
  • Only exception is most recent in series by favourite authors.
  • Compare the prospective purchase with the rest of your TBR. Do you want to read it more than 50% of your TBR? If not, don't buy.
  • Reading a series? Don't buy the next release until you've finished all the rest, unless it's 90% off or more.
  • If it's not going to be the very next book you read after your current book, don't buy it. It will almost certainly go on special offer again before you find time to read it.
  • If you have a choice of discounted books (e.g. you have a one-time discount code), buy the book that you most want to read from your wish-list. Do not choose which book to buy based on how much you'll 'save' using the discount code.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by issybird View Post
    there’s always another deal.

* This was a significant underestimate. When I started using calibre in 2013 and added all my ebooks to it, I found I had another 422 unread ebooks. Double-checking in 2017 revealed I was still undercounting by 339 books. At the time I started this thread, my TBR was probably somewhere between 1,000 and 1,200!

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-05-2021 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Corrected my 2011 TBR number
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Hi! My name is Pooh. I am an ebook addict. I can't stop adding ebooks to my TBR list. I plan to be buried with my Kindle and a work light drop cord in my coffin - so I can have light and power to finish reading all the books I have bought/downloaded/acquired.

[memo: if I convert to Buddhism, will my ebook library follow me through my reincarnations?]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
My name is Tome and I'm an e-book addict. I worked out that it would take me about 12 years to read my current collection, and I keep adding to it.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
Im an addict of both the books and the machines . Im adding to it almost everyday .
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I have to say that I'm hooked too. Though I stick mostly to the free books here, at SmashWords and at Amazon as otherwise it could become a very expensive addiction quickly. Though I don't buy everything that I find I have enough to tide me over for a long time though I still find myself downloading yet another book from time to time. I don't think there is a cure for addiction to the written word, though I'm not spending much effort in searching for one either.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
My name is Ginny aka pomtroll & I am an e-book & e-reader addict. I goal is to get no more than 10 books a month & I reached my limit yesterday.....What am I going to do?
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
My name is Joel, and I am also an ebook addict. I think alcohol is cheaper...
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
My name is Figwit and I am an ebook buying addict too. I try to limit myself to the cheapies or the freebies where possible but now and then the inner dragon has to be fed with something a bit more expensive. I will have to live a very long life to read all the books I have collected as I have overflowing bookshelves of paper books too.
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Just curious, how many books do you guys have in your library?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
My name is Christa. I have over 900 unread ebooks that I intend to read. I have another couple of hundred that I probably will not read.

I can't say no to any Fictionwise coupon 40% or higher. I can't say no to my favorite authors. I can't say no to any even slightly enticing freebie. AllRomance eBucks rebates, Books on Board rewards, I'm too weak to fight them.

It's been two days since I last purchased. My hope is to make it a week. I don't count the freebies, even though, deep down, I know they are a part of my problem.

I think I knew I hit rock bottom when I pre-ordered the next Dresden Files book, #13, despite the fact that I've only read the first three so far. I just had to. I have all of the others... I justified it by saying it was okay because it's being released two days before my birthday so it was, like, supposed to be mine. I know I'm lying to myself.

They tell me I can stop if I really want to. Right.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post

I think I knew I hit rock bottom when I pre-ordered the next Dresden Files book, #13, despite the fact that I've only read the first three so far. I just had to. I have all of the others... I justified it by saying it was okay because it's being released two days before my birthday so it was, like, supposed to be mine. I know I'm lying to myself.

They tell me I can stop if I really want to. Right.
You're telling me that I can pre-order "Ghost Story" now? Grrrrrr. I had convinced myself that I was going to get the audiobook so as not to read it all in one sitting like the last four. Now it seems that I have no choice but to get the book version. Thanks alot for being my enabler
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
In order to find a solution, you must first acknowledge that you have a problem.

I don't have a problem. Everything is fine. Perfectly fine.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Just curious, how many books do you guys have in your library?
Technically, I've got at or very near the 1000 mark in free e-books from those time-limited promotional freebies offered in the major stores alone.

But realistically, I've only got at most a low few hundred that I've actually paid real money for, and I don't expect to seriously try and read more than 1% of the freebies at best.

* Despite my habit of picking up freebies almost indiscriminately, I'm actually very, very picky as to what I'll actually shell out real money of my own upon.

I really only buy stuff from authors I trust whose books I know I'll want to read that I haven't already, books I've read and enjoyed already that are on sale, or occasionally make an initial test purchase from new author that may lead to my picking up their other books. And I usually make a point of reading those latter such purchases fairly soon after getting them.

And I'm cheap, so I often also only ever get books during deep discount sales because if a book's available in the library/I already own it in paper, I usually feel I don't need to have my own e-copy unless the price is so low and I like the author/title enough that I might as well, by which time I'll have already read the book anyway, so no TBR issues there.

So far this year I've already finished 26 of the ones I've actually paid for (and did another two dozen or so last year). And some are e-book re-buys of favourite paper titles that were on sale, so I don't feel the need to re-read them quite yet.

I'd estimate my overall read completion ratio for paid e-books currently around 2 out of 5, and that number skewed because I bought a bunch of magazines/anthologies and splurged at Fictionwise last month.

Frankly, my dozen-title library backlog is more worrying, since those are technically commonly-owned books that I should hurry up and finish and return to the general public.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
You're telling me that I can pre-order "Ghost Story" now? Grrrrrr. I had convinced myself that I was going to get the audiobook so as not to read it all in one sitting like the last four. Now it seems that I have no choice but to get the book version. Thanks alot for being my enabler
Ooops... sorry.

CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:27 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I'm Joe, and I'm an ebook addict but I don't want treatment ... actually, I bought another ebook, one for high speed reading so I can read more ebooks and faster ...

jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:46 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thank you all for your honesty. It's nice to know I'm not alone. My ebook library is currently around 2,000 items. I've bought the vast majority of those (1392 at fictionwise, 700 or so at webscription.net, a few elsewhere). I've read about 1600 of them.

And that's not counting the free classics downloaded from here and elsewhere, of which I've read less than 50, I think.

I've now been purchase free for three days...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote