Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Question Can the iPhone download files from the internet?

Hello iphone users,

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. I have recently been encountering some issues with my ebook selling system in which iphone users (and some other mobile users) cannot access the ebook files through their download links. My download service Payloadz informed me that an iphone cannot directly download files from the internet. Is this true? This seems kind of limiting considering the device is supposed to basically be mobile internet access.

I had to route a customer through Smashwords because its system was able to send the ebook files into the Stanza application that the iphone could access.

So, I was wondering what the ebook downloading experiences are like for iphone users. What do you have to do to get files on your phone? Can you download files to a desktop or laptop and then send them to your iphone?

I can't test these issues because I don't have an iphone. I heard they cost like $100 a month to maintain, which I think is super pricey. Anyway, thank you to anyone who replies. I'm trying to come up with some advice to put on my website for mobile users.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post
Hello iphone users,

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. I have recently been encountering some issues with my ebook selling system in which iphone users (and some other mobile users) cannot access the ebook files through their download links. My download service Payloadz informed me that an iphone cannot directly download files from the internet. Is this true? This seems kind of limiting considering the device is supposed to basically be mobile internet access.

I had to route a customer through Smashwords because its system was able to send the ebook files into the Stanza application that the iphone could access.

So, I was wondering what the ebook downloading experiences are like for iphone users. What do you have to do to get files on your phone? Can you download files to a desktop or laptop and then send them to your iphone?

I can't test these issues because I don't have an iphone. I heard they cost like $100 a month to maintain, which I think is super pricey. Anyway, thank you to anyone who replies. I'm trying to come up with some advice to put on my website for mobile users.
What file type is it? do you have a link and I'll test if you want?

why not get an ipod touch, no contract required then.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
yes and no. The iphone can download files, no problem. It's the built-in browser, Safari which don't allow you to download.

3rd party apps can download fine. For example the browser iCab.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
yes and no. The iphone can download files, no problem. It's the built-in browser, Safari which don't allow you to download.

3rd party apps can download fine. For example the browser iCab.
Yes, the person did mention she was using Safari.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave

Stustaff was kind enough to do some testing and discovered this fairly easy process for people to access a file if they have the Stanza application.

Quote:
Hi this is stu from mobile read

Ok so I was able to download and open your book on my iPhone and iPad. However it does require the Stanza book app! It is currently not possible to download the pub using 'standard' iPhone iPad system tools.

Here's how I did it,
Open your email and instead of clicking on the link I copied it.
Then I opened stanza and went to the 'catalog' option,
Selected web page and pasted in the link.
This brought up the download page so I could click on the link.
It then added it to my stanza app and I could then open and read the book.
Thanks Stu!

Tags
downloading, ebooks, iphone