Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
gambarini
Connoisseur
gambarini began at the beginning.

Device: IRiver Story, Ipod Touch, Android SmartPhone
Calibre and Android Device

Is there a version of calibre (expecially the RSS to Epub funcion), suitable on Android Smarthpone?

With this function could be possible to generate epub files in mobility (and everywhere) using free WiFi hotspots all over the WORLD...
(for example PARIS.. in every place )
gambarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambarini View Post
Is there a version of calibre (expecially the RSS to Epub funcion), suitable on Android Smarthpone?

With this function could be possible to generate epub files in mobility (and everywhere) using free WiFi hotspots all over the WORLD...
(for example PARIS.. in every place )
Most people run Calibre on a desktop (on one of the 3 supported OSs), and access the content server with their Android phone to get books to read.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
If I am to understand you, you want to run calibre on your Andriod phone.. rather than connect it to a PC running claibre.

Isn't there RSS software available for Andriod? For sites that don't have RSS feed you could create a Yahoo pipe that screen scrapes the web site and publishes it as an RSS feed.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If I am to understand you, you want to run calibre on your Andriod phone.. rather than connect it to a PC running claibre.

Isn't there RSS software available for Andriod? For sites that don't have RSS feed you could create a Yahoo pipe that screen scrapes the web site and publishes it as an RSS feed.

BOb
I think he wants something for an android phone that will collect RSS and convert to ePub on his phone though I dont see why someone would want/need that when they can just use an rss reader. Heck, here is a free one
http://www.androidfreeware.org/download/android-rss
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I think he wants something for an android phone that will collect RSS and convert to ePub on his phone though I dont see why someone would want/need that when they can just use an rss reader.
There are lots of differences between the RSS feed and the EPUB that Calibre creates from that RSS feed. In many cases, I prefer the EPUB, so I can imagine why he might want that function. That's why I answered sort of obliquely - if you want an EPUB from an RSS feed - one that you can access from any WiFi hotspot around the world - the official way is to run Calibre on your desktop, set up the content server and get the EPUB that way. That's how I do it. If he just wants the RSS feed, he should get a feed reader that works on the Android.

I suppose we didn't really answer his question, and that answer is: No, there isn't any official way to run Calibre directly on the Android.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I suppose we didn't really answer his question, and that answer is: No, there isn't any official way to run Calibre directly on the Android.
You are right though maybe there is another way to do it... though www.feedbooks.com
The link http://www.feedbooks.com/feed/25.epub will give you the RSS feed for Engadget and I am pretty sure the link remains the same day after day with only the content changing.
There is also a part where you can make your own feeds and maybe the download links will remain the same..
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
gambarini
Connoisseur

Quote:
There are lots of differences between the RSS feed and the EPUB that Calibre creates from that RSS feed. In many cases, I prefer the EPUB, so I can imagine why he might want that function. That's why I answered sort of obliquely - if you want an EPUB from an RSS feed - one that you can access from any WiFi hotspot around the world - the official way is to run Calibre on your desktop, set up the content server and get the EPUB that way. That's how I do it. If he just wants the RSS feed, he should get a feed reader that works on the Android.

Do you own static ip address? i don't have a static ip address....

Calibre can also sent an e-mail for every generated epub; it is enough to schedule all every necessary epub conversion and to parameter an e-mail address where sent every epub generated.
but it isn't the best solution...
Old 04-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Do you own static ip address? i don't have a static ip address....
No. Google "dyndns" or "dynamic DNS". There's no need for a static IP.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
Shiryas
Shiryas began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
A little different twist but kind of the same question.

I have a toughbook laptop that is running Ubuntu 9.10 solely.

I have Calibre installed and would like to use Overdrive to access "free" ebook downloads from my library, but there is no direct linux software.

If I install Android emulator on the laptop. http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...u-115152.shtml

And . . .

Load the OverDrive version for Android through the emulator http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/

Will I be able to download books through all this and into Calibre, then on to my Sony505?

Complete noob to everything listed above, just trying to get the most out of ebooks and a library card.

Thanks, Chris
Shiryas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:17 AM   #10
gambarini
Connoisseur

Quote:
No. Google "dyndns" or "dynamic DNS". There's no need for a static IP.
Uhm, probably this is a good solution... Actually i have configured "CALIBR" to send every epub from recipe to email...
This soution (like yours solution) has one great problem: the home pc must be on line, and the calibre program must be active. Every accidental crash of the software, or every loss of energy (for example) create a black out. If you are not at home and you are not able to reestablish the correct functionality of all the system...
And so, if the calibre (or simply the ebook-converter) can run on a mobile device (like a smarhphone) you can create your epub (from recipe) every where and everytime...