Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-18-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
Stoshi
Stoshi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ebook file formats...preferences?

I would like to know opinions based on the following circumstances.
You have a book you want to have scanned into an "Ebook" format. Do you prefer searchable Adobe Acrobat PDF, Microsoft Word or HTML files… or some other format?

I am asked this question often and most of the time I advise getting a PDF however the editable text files offer more flexibility for hand held devices and much smaller file sizes.

If you can offer an actual experience related to the above question it would be appreciated.
Stoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:18 AM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshi View Post
You have a book you want to have scanned into an "Ebook" format. Do you prefer searchable Adobe Acrobat PDF, Microsoft Word or HTML files… or some other format?

I am asked this question often and most of the time I advise getting a PDF however the editable text files offer more flexibility for hand held devices and much smaller file sizes.

If you can offer an actual experience related to the above question it would be appreciated.
Go with HTML. All other formats are easily created from that.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I agree. A well made HTML can be easily converted into other formats. PDF however should be totally ignored.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Welcome to mobileread

I´d go with HTML as well since it can easily be converted to whatever format is needed

I agree with JSWolf & rlauzon that pdf should be ignored for ebooks, specially on small devices.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Stoshi and welcome to MobileRead.

Sound advice there from rlauzon and JSWolf
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, stoshi.

Stand by for 101 opinions!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshi View Post

Like the others have stated, a well-made HTML is best for converting to another format. That said.. I don't convert yet, so I still choose a format that is compatible with my Sony 505 (preferably lrf or epub). I also avoid pdf.

Are you an author wanting to have your work available in other formats or just want to have your personal library readable on your Reader?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I create ebooks as Microsoft Word docs, because that's the program I'm most comfortable with editing. (I'm working up to learning Kompozer enough to edit HTML instead.) Then I convert the file into either LRF or PDF--but I use very specific PDF settings customized for my Reader's pagesize, and my own reading preferences. I wouldn't make PDFs for strangers, and when I make them for friends, I pester them for settings first.

For long-term archiving, I prefer HTML, because it converts best into the other formats.

PDF is an end-use format and should only be considered if the specs used to make it exactly match the user's needs. Almost always, this is not the case--usually, it's made for print layout, which isn't great for any of the best ebook-reading options.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
You lost me at "format" and "convert," but I wanted to welcome you anyway!

I actually deal mostly with PDF, as that is the format (ooh, I used that word!)my library books come in and I don't convert format. It works for me, but I know it's not the best thing out there. I download freebies from Feedbooks in EPUB.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote