Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2014, 01:46 AM   #16
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
if I give up on T3 it will be because I want a reader that does NOT automatically hyphenate, so I guess that rules out most of the competition. I think I'd hoard & trade T2's via ebay
PS the sony software is handy for adding adobe authorisation to T3 & for borrowing library books, calibre cannot do either of those
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:53 AM   #17
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
My very first e-ink reader was PRS-500.
After that I became PocketBook convert. PB360 just had *SO* much more features and configuration options and supported formats.
Right now I am using PocketBook Touch Lux 623.
For a brief period of time I was using Kindle Paperwhite, but I sold it with a loss as soon as PB623 with front-lit screen came out.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #18
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
Once my T1 dies (hopefully not for years yet. I have my fingers crossed), I'll have to go through and evaluate all the devices out there. The biggest thing for me is text to speech capability. I've rooted my T1, for just that reason. The T2/T3's don't have a headphone jack so they can't have TTS, so that rules them out completely for me.
I'll be bailing on Sony unless their next generation decides to improve their readers and add mp3/TTS capabilities. I'm not counting on it though. Sony doesn't seem to listen to their customers very well as to what they like/dislike.
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #19
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
I still use my 505 that I've had since march 2008, still going strong. I did buy a refurbished T-2 off of eBay to hold in reserve for the day that the 505 just can't go any longer. For the record, Sony gave up on us.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #20
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by revmike View Post
For the record, Sony gave up on us.
I agree. Last time I looked I couldn't even find a place on their web site to provide feedback. Anywhere. Not even a contact us link.
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #21
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
I'll be bailing on Sony unless their next generation decides to improve their readers and add mp3/TTS capabilities. I'm not counting on it though. Sony doesn't seem to listen to their customers very well as to what they like/dislike.
The problem with that is pretty much all of the major players have removed the audio capabilities from their latest readers. Sure we're getting slightly nicer looking screens and slightly faster speeds in our ereaders each time a new model appears, but they are removing 'extras' like audio, buttons, solid/well-built casings etc in the search for the lightest, quickest and most affordable readers as possible. Not always a good thing in some respects.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #22
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
It seems a lot of folks have stocked up on Sony backup. I think we have maybe 3 650s, a t1 and a t2. A bit over top. Plus two Nook STRs. But I got them all for about 50 bucks.

I'm surprised there isn't more drift to kindle or kobo. When / If the Kobo glo drops on price, I might be tempted.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:40 AM   #23
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i read such bad things about kobo that I'm not surprised by lack of drift: wide margins, side loading hassles, the weird kepub format..., I had a mark 1 kobo & it was slow, clunky, with a crap battery...
amazon's slow drift to adverts / intrusive marketing drove me away from Kindle, that silly " you've finished a whole book so now send the news to facebook/twitter " was for me the final insult. and the flood of negative posts re the paperwhite lights puts me off trying that.

Last edited by cybmole; 01-13-2014 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:35 AM   #24
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I use the Kobo Glo and I just stay away from updating the firmware, which means hardly never using wi-fi. I'm using firmware 2.4.0 and I also stay away from .kepubs, I use strictly .epubs. So I don't have those issues with the wide gap on the top and bottom and wide margins that you can get from .kepubs.

If you're near a local bookstore where you can pick up a Kobo and return it should you hate it, I would suggest giving it a try. The hardware itself is really fantastic. That's if you can live without using wi-fi often. I prefer to purchase all my books to my PC to keep them all in one spot and sideload my books using Calibre always. So I'm perfectly happy without any wi-fi at all.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 01-13-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:06 AM   #25
cybmole
Wizard

well I am 99% happy with my T3, now that I have found out how to stop books form hyphenating - but maybe I'd look at Kobo as a 2nd choice.

I give the T3 99% not 100% because the inside of the front cover is a fluff magnet & it has a weird sticky surface so you you have to pick off any stray bits of lint by hand. Maybe that is intentional, to pull them off the screen but I worry that it will have the opposite effect,i.e. it will catch loose bits from bedding etc & will transfer those to the screen
Old 01-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #26
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
well I am 99% happy with my T3, now that I have found out how to stop books form hyphenating - but maybe I'd look at Kobo as a 2nd choice.

I give the T3 99% not 100% because the inside of the front cover is a fluff magnet & it has a weird sticky surface so you you have to pick off any stray bits of lint by hand. Maybe that is intentional, to pull them off the screen but I worry that it will have the opposite effect,i.e. it will catch loose bits from bedding etc & will transfer those to the screen
How did you get the T3 to stop hyphenating??? This is basically a deal breaker for me on this device, on top of them removing the alphabetical index on the sidebar to help navigate large book lists.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #27
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
This thread has the line you add to your stylesheet to avoid hyphenation, there's a few ways to do it:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231224
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #28
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Still Sony - love my red T3, and as much as I love trying out new devices, I haven't found any that I like more. I'll pick up a back-up at some point and hope they last for a good long while.

I have been trying out used Kobos from eBay, and bought a new Aura HD. Still prefer the Sony screen and UI, and front-lit screens look poor to my eyes so Sony's lack is a non-issue for me. Kobo's easy font/layout tweak-ability is a great feature, if I could get that on a Sony it would be about perfect for me.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #29
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
I agree. Last time I looked I couldn't even find a place on their web site to provide feedback. Anywhere. Not even a contact us link.
What about the Sony Forum ...

Or email your HQ in Canada ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:10 AM   #30
cybmole
Wizard

well on the main sony site
I see at top level: products, offers, shops, SUPPORT...

under support there ate lots of choices...

ask the community... what do you think.... contact us....

http://www.sony.co.uk/support

also, when I bought my T3 direct from them I got a quality survery a couple of weeks later, so thay are open for feedback