Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #196
Janet16
Enthusiast
Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have got an Nexus 7, I have to say that this is a great little tablet, I highly recommend it!
So far I got many nice tips for my Google Nexus 7:
enable flash on Nexus 7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpn603oZbIQ&noredirect=1

lets your Nexus 7 play movies on any screen via HTC's Media Link HD
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/21/w...creen-via-htc/

Watch DVD Movies on Google Nexus 7
http://www.ifunia.com/blog/how-to-wa...oogle-nexus-7/
Janet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #197
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
As part of their Black Friday deals, Office Depot currently has the Nexus 7 available online for $230. It'll also be available in-store starting tomorrow at 5am.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #198
Beryl
Enthusiast
Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Kindle
I'm enjoying my Nexus 7 for reading and light games. I loved it in church because my iPhone was way too small.

The iPad 3's retina screen is superior, however. Therefore, it will continue to be my preferred device for videos. The larger form is also better for forums and other keyboard activity.

In short, I can't see only having one size tablet. I will consider replacing the Nexus 7 with a Mini if it comes with a retina screen. Unfortunately, many of my favorite apps on iOS are not implemented well on Android.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #199
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
In short, I can't see only having one size tablet. I will consider replacing the Nexus 7 with a Mini if it comes with a retina screen. Unfortunately, many of my favorite apps on iOS are not implemented well on Android.
Part of the problem is that developers try to adapt iOS apps to Android, mimicking the iOS UI rather than using the Android guidelines. Also, with HC not being open sourced, there was quite a big jump from Gingerbread to ICS, which put a strain on developers. Now we have some open source libraries that make writing an app to satisfy multiple targets much simpler, so I would expect the number of apps that look nice both on phones and tablets to rapidly increase over the coming months. Especially with the introduction of the Nexus family of tablets at great prices.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #200
Beryl
Enthusiast
Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I totally agree with this. I've seen this happen on multiple mobile platforms -- Palm, Blackberry, Windoze and now IOS and Android. It must be even harder for Android since the tablet market is so new. We are stuck with a lot of apps designed for phones.

I really hope to see improvements with TiVO and Evernote (premium) apps. The MyFitnessPal app is bad too but since it is free, I won't complain too much. By the time the new iPad Mini is out, we may see a lot of improvements and I make become an Android fan. Apple makes exceptional products but they are way to pricey for many.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #201
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I'm enjoying my Nexus 7 for reading and light games. I loved it in church because my iPhone was way too small.

The iPad 3's retina screen is superior, however. Therefore, it will continue to be my preferred device for videos. The larger form is also better for forums and other keyboard activity.

My sentiments exactly. The N7 screen quality diminishes (washes out) at some viewing angles. I can turn my iPad 3 to any angle and the screen never washes out.

For the most part, the Android versions of apps I'm familiar with from iOS have been disappointing. However, the Moon+ Reader blows away all my favorite reading apps on iOS. (I am an auto-scroll devotee, which limits the choices of reading apps on iOS.) And I really like the smaller size of the N7 for reading... so I'm torn, but the N7 will probably become my reading device, and the iPad my everything else, and my iPhone the always with me, goes everywhere device.

My laptop is gathering dust. I do still use my desktop a lot. Can't beat a 30 inch plus 20 inch dual monitor quad-core setup for getting real work done.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:08 AM   #202
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finally got my Nexus 7 and I was surprised there wasn't an FM radio. Sure would've been a nice feature to have. I still listen to FM on a regular basis. I love the morning drive shows on the rock stations - Bob Rivers and Danny Bonaduce.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:16 AM   #203
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Finally got my Nexus 7 and I was surprised there wasn't an FM radio. Sure would've been a nice feature to have. I still listen to FM on a regular basis. I love the morning drive shows on the rock stations - Bob Rivers and Danny Bonaduce.
If you are near a wifi connection try Tunein Radio it has a large number of radio streams. I can find almost all the FM stations that are available here.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:25 AM   #204
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
If you are near a wifi connection try Tunein Radio it has a large number of radio streams. I can find almost all the FM stations that are available here.
Thanks, but I already use TuneIn Radio Pro. I wanted FM for occasions when I don't have wifi; like vacations. It would save me from having to use a second device.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:03 AM   #205
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Besides the missing FM radio, I have a few more minor complaints.

I don't like the fact that the menu key disappeared. I have no need for that recent apps key. Is there a workaround?

Where's the landscape mode? I thought that was fixed.

Looks like I'll be doing a bit of research on these issues.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #206
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Besides the missing FM radio, I have a few more minor complaints.

I don't like the fact that the menu key disappeared. I have no need for that recent apps key. Is there a workaround?

Where's the landscape mode? I thought that was fixed.

Looks like I'll be doing a bit of research on these issues.
Apps now have their own menu keys if they need them. System settings are now available from the pull-down notification bar.

I think you'll change your mind in due course with regard to the recent apps key. It's available everywhere and really speeds up switching back and forth.

My Nexus 7 went into Landscape OK, including on the home screen. (Maybe this was in the 4.2 update? Have you done that? It was waiting for me over the air when I first set the device up.)

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #207
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Apps now have their own menu keys if they need them. System settings are now available from the pull-down notification bar.
I noticed that. I'm just used to the other way.

I added 'Settings' to my favorites bar because I use it frequently.

Quote:
I think you'll change your mind in due course with regard to the recent apps key. It's available everywhere and really speeds up switching back and forth.
Maybe, but I never switched back and forth on my Galaxy Player. Not sure why I'd need to. Maybe I'm missing something.

Quote:
My Nexus 7 went into Landscape OK, including on the home screen. (Maybe this was in the 4.2 update? Have you done that? It was waiting for me over the air when I first set the device up.)
It updated to 4.2 during setup. What I just discovered is that there are two pull down menus:
  • Notifications - everywhere, except the far right
  • Icon Box - on the far right
Inside that icon box I found a 'rotation' button and it was locked. So I unlocked it. Problem solved.

Thanks for the help
Old 11-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #208
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I noticed that. I'm just used to the other way.

I added 'Settings' to my favorites bar because I use it frequently.

Maybe, but I never switched back and forth on my Galaxy Player. Not sure why I'd need to. Maybe I'm missing something.

It updated to 4.2 during setup. What I just discovered is that there are two pull down menus:
  • Notifications - everywhere, except the far right
  • Icon Box - on the far right
Inside that icon box I found a 'rotation' button and it was locked. So I unlocked it. Problem solved.

Thanks for the help
That "Icon box" is the quick settings menu that was introduced in 4.2.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #209
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
That "Icon box" is the quick settings menu that was introduced in 4.2.
Thanks. A new feature; but then, they're all new features to me. I'm going from Gingerbread to Jelly Bean; having never known Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #210
Beryl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post

Graham
With 4.2, I don't see the system settings icon in that area. I added to my home menu though.

Landscape was a concern I had but it is supported in most apps and improved with 4.2.

Edit: I didn't set that right side notification area! Thanks!