Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
irumbles
Edge User

Is a Edge right for me

I have been looking for an Edge type device for ages.

I am trying to assess whether an Edge meets my needs to replace my personal computer (HP Pavilion) and business computer (HP Tablet). I have been a PC person for 30 years (yikes that is old) and moving to Android is interesting (and I believe the next technology wave), but slightly intimidating. Both of my other machines are getting old (>4 yrs) and are starting to lag.

I am willing to switch all my Office like needs to Google docs, so my needs are:
Personal
- Video MSN (is skype a lot better?)
- Online games ( I assume my PC based games are no longer useable)
- Office like applications
- reliable backup and virus protection

Business
- Office applications
- Outlook
- hooking to our office network and using a Windows Explorer application to obtain files (my biggest concern)
- I really wanted a character recognition feature to allow note taking as I attend a lot of meetings. I am not sure if E-ink will meet my needs?

What are the Pros and Cons of moving to an Edge?

Thanks
Ian
Guelph, Canada

Old 08-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
dcubed2
Edge User

I'm really not sure you could or should replace a pc with an eDGe. The Android os isn't made for heavy computing. It's only a smart phone os, after all.

I didn't see reading pdf or epub books, manuals, etc on your list. This is a big part of the eDGe, along with annotating those files. Doing such things as surfing the net, the eDGe is good, but probably not better than (or even quite as good as) a netbook, tablet or other pc. I prefer the pc for typing.

Others will chime in, I'm sure .

Old 08-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
sarah11918
Edge User

Agree with dcubed2. It sounds like you really need a tablet PC running Windows 7. I've had 3 different tablet PCs and the edge, and I'm pretty confident that others would agree that your feature set is that of a tablet PC and not the edge.

Windows 7 is awesome on Tablet PCs (not sure whether you have that on your older HP right now) with excellent handwriting recognition and the ability to use full-fledged office programs. That's what will do all the things you're looking for.

So that we can better help you: since you already have (and therefore are familiar with) a tablet PC, why are you contemplate moving to an edge? What's the appeal for you? What do you think you'll be getting with an edge that you don't get with a tablet PC?

Old 08-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
walt526
Edge User

I don't think that anyone who needs to create documents (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc) would really be satisfied with any Android tablet at this point. Docs2Go is *not* an adequate replacement from MS Office or Open Office. In several months, the software for Android *might* be available that approximates an office productivity suite at an acceptable level, although even then I'm not sure that an Android tablet will be able to perform capably as a primary (or sole) computing device any time in the near future.

In general, I think that people who understand the limitations of the capabilities of the eDGe's technology (i.e., both hardware and software) tend to be the happiest users. Based on what you've posted as your requirements, I think that your expectations exceed the present capabilities of currently available Android-based tablets, including the eDGe. I'd suggest looking at something like the HP Touchsmart (my sister likes her's).

Eventually, I think that Android-based tablets (including possibly the eDGe) will be able to handle everything that you need. But I'm pretty sure that you would be disappointed if you bought one now.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt526 View Post
I don't think that anyone who needs to create documents (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc) would really be satisfied with any Android tablet at this point.
Exactly. Hate to pile on, but everyone's comments so far are spot on. I love my eDGe and use it for a lot of the functions I previously completed on my desktop PC: surfing the net, simple video games (sudoku, solitaire, minesweeper), emailing, and most significantly reading books and online newspapers. My reading appetite has grown with use of the eDGe, because I can now read comfortably everywhere instead of just at home sitting at my desk. I've also picked up new habits because of the eDGe, like Skype, YouTube, and coloring with my kids on the eDGe instead of paper.

But there are a few things the eDGe simply can't do, namely anything related to serious writing and editing or manipulation of digital photos. For that, you can't get around a desktop/laptop/tablet running Windows, or Mac. And if you're into massive multiplayer online games like WarCraft or strategy games like Age of Empires, you'll need a desktop/laptop.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
StevenP
Edge User

Everybody who has posted so far is correct and I have enjoyed reading them. The key to loving the Edge is to be aware of what market it is targeting. If you are a part of the target market then you will be thrilled with it. However, if you are solely looking for a PC replacement then you may be dissapointed. It does what it was intended to well, but it isn't a "do all" device.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
irumbles
Edge User

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Before getting a tablet I used to write all my meeting notes and daily activities in a black journal. I moved to a tablet for the ability to write notes and take advantage of the character recognition. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with the battery length of the tablet.

I still think the Edge might replace the note taking and having the ability to get to the internet at the same time is a bonus. I have not ruled out for this function, but appreciate the guidance to get a PC anyway.

Ian

Old 08-03-2010, 05:18 AM   #8
emen
Edge User

You would definitely need a PC. For me, combination of an Acer netbook and my Edge suites my needs exactly.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by irumbles View Post
I still think the Edge might replace the note taking and having the ability to get to the internet at the same time is a bonus.
Actually, with the dual screens it is quite nice. You can be reading/writing in the journal side and have your email or twitter or messenger client open on top in the other and see updates without it disturbing your writing screen. That's an advantage over a regular tablet PC, where you'll see a notification, but have to bring the other app to front which will cover up your writing screen while you check it.

Please don't think we're discouraging you from getting an electronic notebook that happens to also have email access. Your initial request just made it sound like you wanted this one machine to replace a computer, and that's what everyone is reacting to. If two devices isn't a problem, then you may find the edge suits your note taking needs quite well. (You still won't get the handwriting recognition you'll get from Windows 7, which is pretty advanced now, though, in case that's a deal breaker for you.)

Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
fgruber
Edge User

Yes it is too bad the journal doesn't have the ability to search the handwritten notes. So far what I do is I export the journal to a pdf then on a windows computer I extract the pdf to images and then send them to evernote. That way I'm able to search my notes. Plus I have access to the notes from anywhere.

Hopefully we will be able to automate this process some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irumbles View Post
Thanks to everyone for your comments. Before getting a tablet I used to write all my meeting notes and daily activities in a black journal. I moved to a tablet for the ability to write notes and take advantage of the character recognition. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with the battery length of the tablet.

I still think the Edge might replace the note taking and having the ability to get to the internet at the same time is a bonus. I have not ruled out for this function, but appreciate the guidance to get a PC anyway.

Ian