Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 11:56 PM   #61
DawnLeeOwens
Enthusiast
DawnLeeOwens began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
I am soooo excited. I have never used one of these things, but decided to splurge. You guys are exciting me so much, can you tell me if you can load books and audio cd's from the library?? I love the library...LOL Do you miss using your bookmarks and turning "real" paper pages... I know I must sound corny, but those are the things I love most about my books, ughhh in addition to a good plot...heheheh Thanks!! :P

I ordered it on 2/26 and Amazon snail mail says estimate ship date 3/3... Wishing I got overnight delivery, but trying to finish a book I am reading (500 pages left....James Patterson....Sunday's at Tiffany's) LOVE IT!!!!
DawnLeeOwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:58 PM   #62
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Check out the Visual Kinde Guide on the Wiki for info on borrowing eBooks from the Library.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Visual_Kindle_Guide

Audio books may be a problem because most libraries use WMA with PlaysForSure DRM. And Kindle it won't Play ForSure unless you break the DRM.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #63
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Nice reviews I agree!! It's a really well made device and the improvements to the general look and feel over the Kindle 1 are obvious. As one of the editors of CNET said in his review: every company should look at the progression Amazon designers made from Kindle 1 to Kindle 2. They took a great device and made substantial improvements.

I am loving mine so far!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:04 AM   #64
kguthrie
kguthrie began at the beginning.

Device: none
My neighbor just showed me hers and it is awesome. I can't wait to get mine.
kguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:18 AM   #65
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
The Cole Haan case is gonna go back next week. Just too little thought to the product for it to be worth the price. If they come out with a new model with the hok system i would be all over it, but alas...

And to answer the question, no, mine does not fold back well either. The leather is a double thickness at the spine that should break in with time. Hmm..I wonder if I could find a way to cut the hinge system out of the amazon case and into the cole haan...
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #66
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
the improvements to the general look and feel over the Kindle 1 are obvious.
Look yes. Feel I am actually not so sure about.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #67
goggin
Enthusiast
goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kindle
Just got mine...my first dedicated ereader...although I've used software ereader programs on PDA's for years...this is way better.

After a few days, I can say I'm totally sold on this device...ever so glad I got it! It so meets their stated design goal...the device "disappears" quickly and what's left is an absorbing reading experience!
goggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You press the button with your left hand.

Seriously, is this a problem? 99% of the time when you are reading you are going to the NEXT page.

BOb
It still shows a lack of forethought in button placement.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #69
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It still shows a lack of forethought in button placement.
Yes, I'm sure the Kindle designers didn't think at all about button placement. They probably just gave them to the factory workers and said... "Hey put these four buttons on there somewhere.

No, they thought about the common use cases and designed accordingly. Just because you don't AGREE with their decisions doesn't "show a lack of foresite".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:39 AM   #70
DawnLeeOwens
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info for getting ebooks from the library. Can anyone answer if customer reviews are available on the kindle2? I changed my shipping to 4 day from snail mail, says I should have it by 3/6.... Any thoughts on if Amazon gives a longer estimate than actual timing??

P.S- I have 50 pages left on my JP book, not 500..LOL
;p
I AMMMM EXCITED ABOUT MY K2...
Old 03-01-2009, 01:44 AM   #71
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnLeeOwens View Post
Thanks for the info for getting ebooks from the library. Can anyone answer if customer reviews are available on the kindle2? I changed my shipping to 4 day from snail mail, says I should have it by 3/6.... Any thoughts on if Amazon gives a longer estimate than actual timing??

P.S- I have 50 pages left on my JP book, not 500..LOL
;p
I AMMMM EXCITED ABOUT MY K2...
Kindle 2 reviews are available on the Kindles "buy" page at Amazon. Ignore those dated Feb. 24th (the release date). People who didn't have Kindles were giving reviews.

You can also Google "Kindle 2" to find many news and blog reports/reviews.

My Kindle arrived a day earlier than expected. The one I had sent my mother arrived Thursday, Feb 26 though it wasn't due until March 2nd.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:00 AM   #72
DawnLeeOwens
Enthusiast

Awesome, thanks. I am looking more about reviews a books. On Amazon how you have the ability to rate/rank a book, does the K2 allow you to read reviews and rankings(stars) from the device? Is this your first ebook?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:06 AM   #73
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnLeeOwens View Post
Awesome, thanks. I am looking more about reviews a books. On Amazon how you have the ability to rate/rank a book, does the K2 allow you to read reviews and rankings(stars) from the device? Is this your first ebook?
Yes, you can read the reviews from the Kindle while shopping the Kindle store.

This is not my first ebook reader. I first read ebooks on a Handspring Visor Prism PDA. I've owned Kindle 1 since last April and I now have Kindle 2 and an iPod Touch, so I'm covered pretty well for my needs.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #74
layel
layel began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Good feeling feedback and how about the wireless connection from Amazon store?
layel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #75
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by layel View Post
Good feeling feedback and how about the wireless connection from Amazon store?
It depends on where you live. I live in an area where the Whispernet is very fast. My mother lives in an area where it's spotty (front of the house better than the back of the house).

Check the Whispernet Coverage Map before you buy. You can still purchase content via your computer if you're in an area with not so great coverage.