Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-14-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
pcinfoman
Enthusiast
pcinfoman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-500
Different Sized Book Listings

On my Sony Reader, when I display my list of books, it shows some of them in a much larger font than others. Why is this?

I originally thought that it was showing me different book formats and the huge entries were in LRF format. I have since learned that this is not true at all. I cannot determine what the thinking is on this.

Can anybody please explain to me why some book entries are shown in a larger font than others?
pcinfoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It displays them in the smallest font which will make the title fit (if it's able to). Thus, short titles are in a larger font than long titles.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
pcinfoman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It displays them in the smallest font which will make the title fit (if it's able to). Thus, short titles are in a larger font than long titles.
Well, I was hoping for a more logical reason. If that is the case, it would look much better on my screen if all the books were listed in the same font size. the way it is now, it makes one book look more prominent than another and if it is just because of the book title, it is a very stupid feature.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One of the "hacks" that you can download for the Reader is a mod which uses a smaller and "uniform" font for the menu pages.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcinfoman View Post
Well, I was hoping for a more logical reason. If that is the case, it would look much better on my screen if all the books were listed in the same font size. the way it is now, it makes one book look more prominent than another and if it is just because of the book title, it is a very stupid feature.
Yes. That is an annoying deficiency in the Sony Readerr.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am using the smaller font size for the menus and I really like it. When I see the "default" size, it's huge. The smaller size allows more text on the line which means more chance of seeing the complete book title. Also bookmarks have more text as well. At first it does look a bit odd. But once you use it for a bit, it becomes quite natural.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
pcinfoman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One of the "hacks" that you can download for the Reader is a mod which uses a smaller and "uniform" font for the menu pages.
Where do I get this?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Where do I get this?
For the Universal Flasher...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10900

For the modified main.xml...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12826

Now, you'll need an SD card and a card reader for your computer in order to use this as you have to install it on the SD card in order to flash your reader.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Universal flasher works from a MemoryStick too.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Universal flasher works from a MemoryStick too.
Yeah, but I'd rather not push them.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:00 PM   #11
pcinfoman
Enthusiast

I have a SD card in my reader right now and a card reader on my computer. I installed the Universal Flasher and it works great. I installed a couple of great hacks and got so excited, I forgot about the font size problem. I will look for it tonight.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:41 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have a SD card in my reader right now and a card reader on my computer. I installed the Universal Flasher and it works great. I installed a couple of great hacks and got so excited, I forgot about the font size problem. I will look for it tonight.

Thanks for your help.
I think you may want hack #16. That has the best of them.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #13
pcinfoman
Enthusiast

Thank you for this

Last edited by pcinfoman; 08-18-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #14
pcinfoman
Enthusiast

Working perfectly now! Thank you!