Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Nicer Design

I have seen the Fugly polls etc - but having used the first Kindle for a while and then sadly having to give back to my employer when I left them (hence Why I would be perfect to win the kindle) the new Kindle looks like a big leap in ergonomic. I loved the kindle but was not a fan of its asymetric asthetics.

The new thinner Kindle with looks to be a pleasure to use and read - I am interested to try the text to speech features of the Kindle 2. If they could just get textbooks on there they would rule the world...
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
I have seen the Fugly polls etc - but having used the first Kindle for a while and then sadly having to give back to my employer when I left them (hence Why I would be perfect to win the kindle) the new Kindle looks like a big leap in ergonomic. I loved the kindle but was not a fan of its asymetric asthetics.

The new thinner Kindle with looks to be a pleasure to use and read - I am interested to try the text to speech features of the Kindle 2. If they could just get textbooks on there they would rule the world...
But first they have to release it to the world.............
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
But first they have to release it to the world.............
Should definitely pre-order..looks like the K2 is going to be a big hit, and might sell out.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Yeah, it was on front page of the Money section of the USA today newspaper today. Its definitely getting alot of press. Its definitely more stylish than the first version. Its yet to be seen whether ill like how skinny it is. Of course, covers solve that problem really easily.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Its yet to be seen whether ill like how skinny it is.
Are you kidding? Skinny is GREAT! I love skinny. Why take up space and have unnecessary mass? Skinny is a huge bonus for me. K2 looks like about the same thickness as a Sony Reader (like I have.) It's totally easy to hold and read from, if that's what you're worried about.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
Are you kidding? Skinny is GREAT! I love skinny. Why take up space and have unnecessary mass?
Well, one reason is that these screens are somewhat fragile.

But I'm sure that Amazon has taken this into account in the design. Increased rigidity is likely as important a reason as looks for the switch to aluminum backing.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
k_eubank
k_eubank began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (version 1)
Having played the "about Kindle 2" videos on Amazon.com, it looks like they did a really good job of improving the location/use of the buttons -- eliminating the inadvertant page changes and "back" changes and on/off changes, and also the movement around the page. More memory, longer battery life. The "read to me" feature looks intriguing, but still experimental, not as sophisticated as the Garmen GPS voice, for example. Supposedly you can download and play music, but that was not demonstrated in the videos.

I love my Kindle and don't know if I will succumb to the urge to upgrade just yet. I can do all the reading I want already. . . . And yet, wouldn't be even more lovable if it read to me while I cooked dinner? ARGH, decisions, decisions.
k_eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Are you kidding? Skinny is GREAT! I love skinny. Why take up space and have unnecessary mass? Skinny is a huge bonus for me. K2 looks like about the same thickness as a Sony Reader (like I have.) It's totally easy to hold and read from, if that's what you're worried about.
Yep... I want my Kindle to be like my woman... pale, skinny and only speaks when I allow it.

(total joke... don't ban me.... or tell my wife...) honey....
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I bet your wife has a MUCH sexier voice, so she'll still win out!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I bet your wife has a MUCH sexier voice, so she'll still win out!
I don't know.... I have never really listened...
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
Yep... I want my Kindle to be like my woman... pale, skinny and only speaks when I allow it.

(total joke... don't ban me.... or tell my wife...) honey....
Newbies is so funny! I just gave you Karma, because after we tell your wife what you said, you'll be needing it!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #12
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
I like my current Kindle, gives me some thickness to hang onto. I'm not sure how I would like a really thin device for hours of reading.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLS View Post
I like my current Kindle, gives me some thickness to hang onto. I'm not sure how I would like a really thin device for hours of reading.
A cover would add some thickness.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #14
cjschmidt
Thyme Lord
cjschmidt doesn't littercjschmidt doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
It looks like a huge improvement from what I've seen, but I still think I'll wait until these things have been in the wild for a month or so before I give up my 505.
cjschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #15
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
A cover would add some thickness.
True, I do love my Oberon Designs cover.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote