Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #241
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceWimp View Post
However, I believe (as is my prerogative to do so, based on my experience as a typographic designer working within the publishing industry for many years) that many consumers of printed material whether in paper or electronic format are ignorant of the dangers to their eyesight of prolonged periods of reading poorly formatted layouts using inappropriate typefaces.
Would you be kind enough to provide some evidence (eg to peer-reviewed medical trials) which support your rather astounding assertion that "inappropriate typefaces" pose a danger to eyesight?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #242
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceWimp View Post
...many consumers of printed material whether in paper or electronic format are ignorant of the dangers to their eyesight of prolonged periods of reading poorly formatted layouts using inappropriate typefaces.
I just did a quick Google search and I couldn't find any studies that showed a correlation between damage to eyesight and prolonged periods of reading poorly formatted layouts using inappropriate typefaces.

Since I assume you wouldn't just make up stuff to bolster your position, could you please point us to some of the existing work that has been done in this area.

Thanks.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #243
dickloraine
Zealot
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
In my opinion, font type, size etc. should be now in the hands of the users. Of course, actual reader software does not the best job of presenting text; widows, orphans and hyphenation could be better. But in opinion designers should now concentrate to present the text clean and easily modified. The ability to change font and size to my liking is one of the more important things, I like in ebooks. And I hate it, if some designers set a font type, strange absolute sizes etc.
Another thing: Devices are different. From display size to type. And no, I don't think garamond is a good font type for displays... even if it seems to be a favorite for many in paper books.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #244
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, PB360, Kobo Glo/AuraHD/Aura6"/AuraH2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
And no, I don't think garamond is a good font type for displays... even if it seems to be a favorite for many in paper books.
Maybe that depends on your reading device. I think Adobe Garamond Pro looks very nice on my Kobo Aura HD.
jackie_w is online now   Reply With Quote