Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Question Device sync

I use calibre as the main library and copy selected ebooks to my devices. Sometimes I "tweak" an ebook within calibre. Is it possible to instruct calibre to "automagically" update (=replace) the ebook on the device when I connect the device so the device becomes ebook-wise synced again with calibre?

At the moment I do it manually (remembering some ebook must be updated, delete ebook from connected device, copy ebook to connected device), but surely there must be a more convenient way, however I could not find it
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
I use calibre as the main library and copy selected ebooks to my devices. Sometimes I "tweak" an ebook within calibre. Is it possible to instruct calibre to "automagically" update (=replace) the ebook on the device when I connect the device so the device becomes ebook-wise synced again with calibre?
I use the Reading List plugin. When I update a book, I add it to my "sync to orizon" list, and lo and behold, as soon as I plug my device, the books sync.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
frank14612
Connoisseur
frank14612 doesn't litterfrank14612 doesn't litterfrank14612 doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch with Glow-light
Question New user question

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyx View Post
I use the Reading List plugin. When I update a book, I add it to my "sync to orizon" list, and lo and behold, as soon as I plug my device, the books sync.
Could you please explain what your "sync to orizon" list is, and where I might find it, so that I can update older versions of books on my Nook device with newer versions in my Calibre library on my PC? Thank you.

Frank D

Last edited by frank14612; 12-16-2013 at 12:41 PM.
frank14612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Sure.

The Reading List plugin allows you to create lists of books, on which certain automatic actions can be executed. I created a list I named "Orizon". The list's options in Reading List allow me to choose whether that list should be automatically sync'ed to a device, and if so on which device (or which card on that device).

I have several such lists. I configured the "Orizon" list so that any book on that list is automatically sync'ed to my device when it's plugged in. I have a "On Orizon" list, which merely updates a "yes/no" custom column when I eject, so that I may know what's on the device even if I don't have it under my hand. Finally I have a "Remove from Orizon" list, which (like the name implies) automatically removes the books I've chosen.

A typical session would go like this:

On Calibre, I browse my collection, adding (through Reading List) books to my "Orizon" list. I also add the books I've finished on my device (or don't want to read yet), to the "Remove from Orizon" list. I'm helped with that by the "On Orizon" custom column.

If I update books, I add them to the "Orizon" list as well.

I may also add or update books through the FFDL plugin, in which case the "Orizon" list is automatically updated, because FFDL is awesome like that.

When I'm finished updating books and lists, I plug my Orizon. The Reading List plugin detects it, and automatically updates all the books in the "Orizon" list, removes all the books in the "Remove from Orizon" list, and updates the "On Orizon" custom column.

It's awesome, too.

There's also the Smart Eject plugin, which (among other things) can sync the lists again if you've added/removed books from them after plugging the device.

So, yeah, lots of awesomeness all around here.

I realize that I could have only one list, and it would add or remove books at need from the device. But, well, I like it better my way. To each their own, or something.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
frank14612
Connoisseur

Question

Here's what I don't understand:
Quote:
On Calibre, I browse my collection, adding (through Reading List) books to my "Orizon" list. I also add the books I've finished on my device (or don't want to read yet), to the "Remove from Orizon" list. I'm helped with that by the "On Orizon" custom column.
You say you add books to your list through Reading List.

My problem is that I can't even figure out how to use the Reading List plugin to add anything to a list.

What keystrokes or mouseclicks do I use to accomplish this simple fact?

I've searched the forum and Help file, but there doesn't seem to be anything on this topic.

Can you please give me a step-by-step procedure to follow? I will certainly appreciate it.

Frank

Last edited by frank14612; 12-16-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:09 AM   #6
aleyx
Addict

Well, the Reading List adds a button on the main toolbar (or wherever you told it to be when you installed it). Click the button and the Reading List menu appears, with "Add to list 'x'", "Remove from list 'x'", "Display list 'x'", etc.

EDIT: The Reading List forum can probably help you for basic usage of the plugin.

Last edited by aleyx; 12-17-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
frank14612
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyx View Post
Well, the Reading List adds a button on the main toolbar (or wherever you told it to be when you installed it). Click the button and the Reading List menu appears, with "Add to list 'x'", "Remove from list 'x'", "Display list 'x'", etc.
OK, I found the Reading List button and installed it on my toolbars! Thank you for your help!

Frank

Last edited by frank14612; 12-20-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
aleyx
Addict

You're welcome. Have fun!