Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie7 View Post
But why is it not possible to turn it of? The other kindles don't have that light, and therefore much longer battery life. Why did Amazon sacrifice that?
This has actually not been true for me personally. If I use my PW at low light levels, the battery on my on my Paperwhite lasts longer than the battery on my touch, for instance. However, the battery on my kindle keyboard does last longer.

In the comparison with my kindle keyboard, I still don't see it as sacrificing because the Paperwhite performs a function that my other kindles don't. I think you have to take that into account. What's more important to you, having a light, or having longer battery life? It's not a big deal to me at all to plug my PW in more than I would my kindle keyboard, especially since it means having the benefit of a built in light. So that's my take on it.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 02-09-2013 at 11:36 AM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #17
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
It's just one piece of bad manufacturing!
In many cases, people don't even see if the light is on or not.
In such cases you might as well save the battery!

I don't know how much the touch screen uses, but hope it uses very little, and turns off when not in use.

More than likely, the touch screen uses more power than the screen light, when setting it below 3.

Amazon knows they could have easily turned off the light. It would have made so many people worry less, in a society that has learned to preserve energy when they can.
Maybe in the US it's less of an issue, but generally in the rest of the world, you also turn off a light when you leave the room, or don't need it.
For many europeans (and asians, and perhaps other people in the rest of the world), leaving on a light, when leaving a room, is like leaving your car in a parkinglot, with the car keys on the door.
It just does not feel right.

Amazon does not seem to understand it, and despite the updates, hasn't yet addressed a 30 minutes programming error like this!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #18
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
It's just one piece of bad manufacturing!
In many cases, people don't even see if the light is on or not.
In such cases you might as well save the battery!
The difference in battery life is only a few percent at low levels (I've seen figures like half an hour for off versus level 5, let alone level 0). There's no point optimizing for that, not given that they doubled the size of the battery in the PW versus the Touch specifically because of the extra power draw of the lights. LEDs are pretty power-efficient contraptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I don't know how much the touch screen uses, but hope it uses very little, and turns off when not in use.
It's an e-ink screen, so, none, any more than a piece of paper uses power to display print. It uses energy to change state (i.e. to refresh content), not to display: you can rip the screen right out of the device and it will stay displaying what it displayed last. (The capacitative touch layer uses a little power, but we're talking milliwatts.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie7 View Post
But why is it not possible to turn it of? The other kindles don't have that light, and therefore much longer battery life. Why did Amazon sacrifice that?
This is one reason I've avoided purchasing one I only use my e-ink reader when I'm outside or in 'normal' pbook reading light.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #20
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I am constantly amazed by how different people's opinions of the PW battery life are. I keep the wifi on and my battery lasts a blink. Well, ok, 12 hours. Lots of blinks. But still, not very long.
So people say 'it's the wifi/3g'. But the battery on my KT was endless.
Hence, it is the screen. But some users here seem to not have battery life issues.
I am starting to wonder if my unit is just defective. But I charge it every other day...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #21
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I am constantly amazed by how different people's opinions of the PW battery life are. I keep the wifi on and my battery lasts a blink. Well, ok, 12 hours. Lots of blinks. But still, not very long.
Hence, it is the screen. But some users here seem to not have battery life issues.
I am starting to wonder if my unit is just defective. But I charge it every other day...
I had that problem with my kindle touch. The battery barely seemed to last at all. Interesting that our experiences are the opposite. The best battery I've had on a kindle device is by far on my kindle keyboard. It seems to last forever. Then again, I realize it's a more basic reader without the frills.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #22
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am constantly amazed by how different people's opinions of the PW battery life are. I keep the wifi on and my battery lasts a blink.
The wifi uses a *lot* of power, and isn't entirely off even when the machine is otherwise suspended (IIRC). When I turn it on, associated and with a strong signal, my battery drains about twice as fast as it otherwise would. If the signal is weak, the drain is even faster. That suggests it's using more power than the screen.

Amazon's suggestion that people leave the wifi on so they can receive OS updates is nuts in my opinion. I don't know anyone who does it, though perhaps people who are used to plugging everything they own in to recharge every night are happy to leave the wifi on 24/7.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Hence, it is the screen.
It's easy to determine whether it's the screen or the WiFi. Time the battery life first with WiFi on, and then with WiFi off.

What brightness do you have your screeen set to? The lighting uses many times more power at maximum brightness than at mid brightness-levels.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #24
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
The wifi uses a *lot* of power, and isn't entirely off even when the machine is otherwise suspended (IIRC). When I turn it on, associated and with a strong signal, my battery drains about twice as fast as it otherwise would. If the signal is weak, the drain is even faster. That suggests it's using more power than the screen.

Amazon's suggestion that people leave the wifi on so they can receive OS updates is nuts in my opinion. I don't know anyone who does it, though perhaps people who are used to plugging everything they own in to recharge every night are happy to leave the wifi on 24/7.
I get the Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times delivered via WIFI.
Plus, I like my books and notes to sync.
So I don't ever turn it off.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #25
vxf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's easy to determine whether it's the screen or the WiFi. Time the battery life first with WiFi on, and then with WiFi off.

What brightness do you have your screeen set to? The lighting uses many times more power at maximum brightness than at mid brightness-levels.
Brightness 12-14 usually.
I have tried somehow casually, but I get very inconsistent results.
I think it has a lot to do with what/how I read. I noticed that on days I just sit down and read a book linearly, battery consumption is not high.
But, on days I flip back-and-forth on the WSJ, the battery drains much faster during the same reading time.

But one thing I know is that my reading habits were the same on my KT - and I used to get the same subscriptions. So I think that means that it is, after all, the screen that makes the difference.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #26
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
(The capacitative touch layer uses a little power, but we're talking milliwatts.)
I'd hope it was micro watts actually.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #27
NullNix
Guru

Quote:
I get the Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times delivered via WIFI.
Plus, I like my books and notes to sync.
So do I (well, the Economist, NS, and a bunch of SF magazines). That's why I flip it on and sync every morning. So the wifi is on for half a minute rather than a whole day. That saves rather a lot of power.

(Of course, if I had other devices and wanted the last-read-position syncing rather than just using it as a backup mechanism, I might value leaving wifi on...)
Old 02-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #28
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
I'd hope it was micro watts actually.
usually a cap touchscreen uses like 100mW. However I do believe on these small devices, that there's much less power draw than on my 14" laptop.
10mW would be a guesstimate...
Old 02-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #29
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Hmm, You might be spot-on at 10 mW. I haven't found typical values for current draw by touch screen type. I see an example capacitive panel for sale at http://olink.en.alibaba.com/product/...uch_Panel.html claiming --
Deep sleep state current draw: 0.2 μA typical
Low power state current draw 0.8 mA typical
Active state current draw (continuous finger tracking): 8 mA typical

I imagine IR touchscreens use more energy (enough to create and detect many criss-cross IR beams).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:43 AM   #30
ProDigit
Karmaniac

mA is something different from mW.

But then again, a touch screen uses less energy than an SD card drive.
It is best to use the touch screen sparingly, by tapping. When you slide a lot to swipe pages, you're using more CPU, and touch screen power.
It registers every point your finger goes on the screen.
The less points, the less computation.