Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #16
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Yes, it does pretty much come down to a choice right now between ease of use and freedom of choice.

I'm glad you're happy with your Kindle - I'm happy with my Sony because I don't want one company having such control of my device or my files.

Here's hoping (fingers crossed) that the market shakes out in such a way that we can have both.

Well, I can dream, can't I?
We've pre-ordered the Kindle 3. That it doesn't read epub doesn't bother us. As three of our readers (I use 2, my husband uses 1) don't read epub either. And they are not made by Amazon.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #17
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Yes, it does pretty much come down to a choice right now between ease of use and freedom of choice.

I'm glad you're happy with your Kindle - I'm happy with my Sony because I don't want one company having such control of my device or my files.

Here's hoping (fingers crossed) that the market shakes out in such a way that we can have both.

Well, I can dream, can't I?
Just don't read any of Jeff Bezos's interviews where he discusses EPub, they would give you nightmare.

On the plus side, there are non-DRMed books available at Amazon, B&N, and Borders. There are some authors who are asking that their books be sold without a DRM and the Publishers have allowed those Publishers to do so.

Amazon has control over files that you buy through them. They do not archive or control any book you buy from a different book store. I like that Amazon archives my books for me because I can feel comfortable deleting a book knowing that I can download it again. This is less of an issue now that collections have come along. I can sort my books into catagories I create so I don't feel the need to delete books any more.

As much as people like to point to the 1984 mess, Amazon learned an important lesson from that. They allowed people to redownload the book or recieve a gift certificate for another book after they had pulled the books and returned the cost of the book to those who purchased the book.

I like that Amazon sends me a notice when a book I have purchased has had a new version uploaded and asks me if I want to change versions. There is a nice little note telling me that I will lose bookmarks and notes if I accept the new book.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote