Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
OMG!!! I'm alive! (or how the kitten spent her holiday)

the first half of the holiday was spent in New Mexico with my folks. nothing particularly unusual or different (well other than finding out that one of my mother's favorite movies is Dirty Dancing and watching it with her). all in all it was kind of depressing. dealing with the very real facts of my parents aging and their acceptance and denial of various aspects of such.

the next part was EXTREMELY interesting!!! my FIL bought a ranch in Sonora a few years ago and then promptly became very sick and spent the better part of a year in hopsital and then recuperating in Kansas City (Which damn near killed him all over again). he finally returned to Mexico this early fall to continue with his project. he is living in a gorgeous rental in a pretty little town called Alamo. the ranch, which dates from an original landgrant in the 1500s is just shy of 10,000 acres. the original Hacienda, parts of which have just crumbled away dates from the early 1700s. he is restoring what he can and then building from new what cannot be restored and also expanding a great deal. there is actually a great deal of year round water on the property to include a lake of approximately an acre in size that is both spring and aquifer fed and full even in the dry season. the plan is to run a cattle business on it as well as lease part of the property for hunting. I've been asked to help him out with the running of the ranch as (being the daughter of a New Mexico Cowboy turned lawyer) I am the only one in the family even remotely familiar with the ranching business. I haven't a clue as to why he decided to embark on a venture such as this at this stage in his life, but it is keeping him active and happy and that is what matters. of course, there is the small matter of throwing me yet a new unique curve in my life! I do believe I have been under the Chinese curse; "May you live in interesting times!" as I certainly have!

it took us 30 hours of travel to return as I flat out refused to drive back to TUcson with him. he is a menace to himself and others and damn near killed us a few times on the trip down there, to include almost running a federale check point, the result of which would have been shoot first, ask questions later. the driving issue must be addressed before he does kill someone, and I already stated that I would require my own vehicle when I am there.

so it looks like I will be spending my life traveling back and forth from Mexico for the forseeable future! I took a bunch of pictures and will get them posted gradually
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Certainly sounds 'interesting'.

Hope it all works out for you.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
so do I!
Old 01-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is this something you want to do or is it something you feel you are being pushed into doing?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

I am very excited about the prospect! I grew up wanting to be a rancher and knew it was a dim prospect outside of marrying into a ranching family!
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Sounds like this is right up your alley.

Very exciting!!! Keep us posted on events........I'm so happy for you.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

I've got to get through this surgery and then 6 weeks of rehab! but I am very very excited!
Old 01-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Sounds like fun, fun as in an exciting new challenge!! That would be the running of the ranch, not the surgery and rehab!!

I hope it all goes well for you, that would be both the running of the ranch and the surgery and rehab. I assume you have plenty of books stocked up for your rehab? And, yes, let's see the pics when you get a chance.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I am very excited about the prospect! I grew up wanting to be a rancher and knew it was a dim prospect outside of marrying into a ranching family!
Congratulations! I think you'll enjoy it.

My mother and step-father raise cows (I don't really call 30 or so cows ranching) and they are in their early 80's. It keeps them young and strong.

I'm a city girl and won't go near the cows but I appreciate their quiet lifestyle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
That sounds very interesting, KK.
One of the hardest parts of growing older is knowing when to stop driving. My mother's attention went haywire and we were all worried about the fact that she was still driving. Fortunately, she gave it up after an operation, otherwise we felt that we would have had to intervene. A friend resorted to getting her father's doctor to forbid him from getting behind the wheel. Would your father keep the ranch if he wasn't able to drive? (Or could he use horse-power instead? or perhaps new spectacles might help?)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
OOoo, this sounds like such a fun opportunity for you! Have fun, and get us some piccies!

My late-in-life stepfather is scary to drive with too. I try real hard not to let him and Mom pick me up at the airport, when I visit. Other siblings agree.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Sounds like fun, fun as in an exciting new challenge!! That would be the running of the ranch, not the surgery and rehab!!

I hope it all goes well for you, that would be both the running of the ranch and the surgery and rehab. I assume you have plenty of books stocked up for your rehab? And, yes, let's see the pics when you get a chance.
books!? I have my trusty Kindle!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Congratulations! I think you'll enjoy it.

My mother and step-father raise cows (I don't really call 30 or so cows ranching) and they are in their early 80's. It keeps them young and strong.

I'm a city girl and won't go near the cows but I appreciate their quiet lifestyle.
I'm guessin' mom found the cowboy after you flew the nest? do you visit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
That sounds very interesting, KK.
One of the hardest parts of growing older is knowing when to stop driving. My mother's attention went haywire and we were all worried about the fact that she was still driving. Fortunately, she gave it up after an operation, otherwise we felt that we would have had to intervene. A friend resorted to getting her father's doctor to forbid him from getting behind the wheel. Would your father keep the ranch if he wasn't able to drive? (Or could he use horse-power instead? or perhaps new spectacles might help?)
it's not sight... it is a variety of things... not paying attention (look! a butterfly! he has passed out at the wheel, driving too fast...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
OOoo, this sounds like such a fun opportunity for you! Have fun, and get us some piccies!

My late-in-life stepfather is scary to drive with too. I try real hard not to let him and Mom pick me up at the airport, when I visit. Other siblings agree.
yeah, well Tucson Arizona USA to Alamos Sonora Mexico isn't quite a drive to the airport! he needs a driver for that.

piccies soon I promise! (maybe during surgery rehab to keep me busy)
Old 01-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
books!? I have my trusty Kindle!!!
Books = books. No matter the form.

Sounds like fun! And a lot of hard work on your hands
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Books = books. No matter the form.

Sounds like fun! And a lot of hard work on your hands
Right, that's what I meant!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I hope this does work out for you.

But before you go, is there good broadband? Can't have you away from MR for too long at a time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote