Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #181
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The more color devices we see out of CES this year the more likely it is that by 2012 the only places we'll see e-ink is in technology museums next to 56k modems and faxes.

The new color screens are very compelling with magazine content. There will be a much larger uptake once they get color materials like encyclopedias, glossy magazines and national geographic on them.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #182
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
I agree it won't be a dedicated ereader, it will be a multifunction device. And that is exactly what I'm hoping to use it for...some reading some surfing, a few notes, a couple mind-numbing time-wasting games, access to Wikipedia and other references, some email responses, a little music, a few videos, and some more reading. I'm one of the many that would choose a multifuntion ereader over a dedicated device (I hear the gasps and calls to 'burn the witch' already).
Not from my direction. My normal reading device is a Palm OS PDA, and while holding ebooks (about 4,000, as of now) and viewing them are about half of what it does, it does many other things.

I'm not in the market for a dedicated reader because I want a device that does more than display books, and color is a requirement. If I could get a device that did what my PDA does, but with a larger screen, say, about the size of a netbook display, I'd jump in a moment. I couldn't carry it in a pocket, but I don't do that now. My PDA is a liittle too big for most pockets, and I normally travel with a shoulder bag. I have no problem reading backlit screens, so eInk's ease-of-extended-reading isn't a selling point for me.

Strictly as an ebook reader, the PDA wins because I can read just about everything save ePub on it. (And with Calibre, I can convert ePub to Mobipocket, which I can read. I just did that with an MR upload that was only in ePub format.)

I'll be real curious to see what Apple does with the rumored tablet. They've been a niche market item thus far, but Apple needs bigger numbers, so they probably think they can sell it to the broader market. Apple's good at spin, and I'll be interested in seeing the spin they use for this.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert