Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
wygit
Enthusiast
wygit doesn't litterwygit doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Bad character breaking conversion?

I was going nuts trying to figure out why I was only getting half a book converted from html to epub, and discovered that the textfile ahd a few odd characters. Hex 1C and 1F .

The thing that was troubling, though, was that Calibre didn't give an error, it just acted like it was done, and created an epub that had pages 1-99 of a 240 page book.

I didn't even discover the issue until I was reading the book, and hit 'next page', and .. um... huh?

Mac OSX 10.6, Calibre 6.19

Html is just vanilla html, converted from a textfile. I have a small regular expression set I use.

Any reason you can think of why Calibre wouldn't report an error, but just created a truncated epub?
wygit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Most likely it did convert file and if you open the EPUB and look at the HTML inside of it you will find those strange characters. I'll bet that what is happening is when the viewer gets to them it chokes and can't render the rest of the book.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert