Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-18-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Greedy publisher cashes in with e-books

According to Smart Bitches, Toronto-based Harlequin is offering book authors who agreed to be published in e-book format a lousy six percent in royalties. Harlequin is one of the biggest publishers of series romance and women's fiction and has recently announced the launch of its e-book program in partnership with Lightning Source, eReader.com and OverDrive.

Quote:
A little bird told me that Harlequin is now offering 6% royalties on e-Books. Apparently, this is non-negotiable. The typical royalty rate for other e-publishers? 30-50%. Now, I’m wondering: why the discrepancy? Also: is the royalty rate for books that are offered both in paper and e-book format, or is it the rate for books that are going to be offered primarily as e-books, a la Ellora’s Cave? If the former, 6% would be pretty typical for paperback books, but if the latter--well, that’s pretty Scrooge-a-riffic.
In other words, Harlequin and other publishers don't want to sell e-books at reduced rates, all the while they keep the addititional revenues for producing at considerably lower costs to themselves. Why doesn't it surprise me that e-books fail to take off?

[via Tobias S. Buckell]
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Dunstan
In other words, Harlequin and other publishers don't want to sell e-books at reduced rates, all the while they keep the addititional revenues for producing at considerably lower costs to themselves. Why doesn't it surprise me that e-books fail to take off?
That's just it: They don't want eBooks to take off. eBooks becomming mainstream means the death (by irrelevance) of publishers.

Today, an author needs a publisher to print and distribute his book. Tomorrow, the author simply uploads it to his eStore of choice, puts a chapter up on his web site (or blog) to promote it, and rakes in the purchases without the middleman.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Apparently, used books have publishers worried too, and they want a cut of used books sales as well as moratoriums on selling a title as used within a certain period of time after it is published.

NPR has a good article where this is discussed in the October 12, 2005 Technology Podcast (RSS Feed).
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Apparently, used books have publishers worried too, and they want a cut of used books sales as well as moratoriums on selling a title as used within a certain period of time after it is published.
I don't often rail about the greed of media, but this is one thing that really irks me. The music industry made waves about used CD stores a few years ago but shut up pretty quickly.

In this context it makes the reluctance to embrace electronic distribution confusing, as it is far easier to turn electronic media into a pay-per-view scheme than traditional media.

Many years ago I read an interview in which a movie studio executive (and I can't remember where I read it, unfortunately) said that the dumbest thing the studio's ever did was allow people to own their content. This mentality pervades to this day.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote