Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-15-2008, 05:52 AM   #1
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

Device: KPW G2 , 10" tablet
Best for large PDFs and dictionary

Hi guys,

I'm wondering and haven't really been able to spot conclusive info on which e-ink device does handle large PDFs best (>15MB). I have been pulling some travel guides off the net into pdf-format and then printed them to take to wherever I'm headed. Obviously it would be so much nicer to actually have that file on a reader in my crumpler, searchable, bookmarkable and all.

A second aspect of using such a device for travelling would be dictionaries. Nothing extravagant, just to check say items on a Spanish menu, or show some passerby the screen with a succession of the, say, Italian translations of " I park here allow?" ;-) I know that there are lit-format dictionairies available - for free as it were - for French, Italian and Spanish. Is there anything like that for e-ink? How would you enter a word - Windows Mobile has virtual keyboards, transscription of screen input, etc. - on these? Prolly the lit's could be convertd to Mobi, but would they retain functionality?

Thanks Hendrik
sheygetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

No takers?
Too many mistakes? Offensive lingo? Questions too hard?

Don't leave me out on a limb here, please.

Hendrik
Advert
Old 08-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
There's a lot of info, opinions and screenshots on viewing pdfs elsewhere in this forum. I prefer to use my iLiad for larger pdfs. I've loaded the same pdfs on a Cybook, iLiad and HanLin to compare them. I believe they display better, are more stable and easier to read on the iLiad - partly because of the larger screen size, of course.

Note that the e-ink screens on these 3 devices look very similar when side-by-side viewing smaller pdfs or Mobipocket files.

Unless you load 3rd party programs on an iLiad, pdfs aren't bookmarkable or searchable.

You can look up all definitions of a word in a Mobipocket dictionary loaded on an iLiad (my dictionary's on a CF card). You use the stylus with the onscreen writepad/keyboard to enter the word.

You can handwrite the translation of "I park here allow?" easily onscreen on an iLiad.

I'll think about your questions a bit more - I might be able to add to the above.

OK, here's a screenshot of a lookup in Webster's 1913 dictionary, which you can download here at Mobileread. Click on lingo with the stylus to view the definition. (Note the iLiad screen is not as black and white as my screenshot, but it is very clear and easy to read)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iLiad_search_lingo.png
Views:	426
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	15286  

Last edited by cbell; 08-16-2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: added pic
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
paulgreg
paulgreg began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad iRex
I would like to buy an ebook reader mainly for "magazines" in PDF like the Sunday Times Software Development or the Linux Journal.

You may download Sunday Times issues there for free : http://www.sdtimes.com/content/currentissue.aspx

Are theses kind of PDF viewable correctly on an iRex ? On an other device ?
Do you think it's a good idea to buy a reader now for that use ?

Thanks
Grégory
paulgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
sheygetz
Connoisseur

Thanks cbell, I was not aware one could write on an Iliad, I'd full expected searching dictionaries was by clicking thru wordlists. It's unfortunate though that one cannot search PDFs in the same way. If one cannot actively bookmark on the device, can one use pre-established bookmarks at all? Or is the bookmark view not available at all?

Hendrik
Advert