Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Charged Three Times for Book

This is a little frustrating.

On Saturday I tried to buy the book "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" from the Kobo site. The first time through, the site gave me an error and told me the order didn't go through. I updated my credit card info and tried again, and had the the same error come up. Foolishly thinking that maybe the issue was my credit card, I tried to buy via Paypal. Paypal said the order went through, but then when I was redirected back to the Kobo site, I got an error message.

You can probably see where this is going. About 10 minutes later, I got 3 order receipts and today my bank's website is telling me I was charged three times for the order. It's a little bit my fault for trying to order 3 times, but even if I hadn't, I still would have been charged once for a book I never received.

The ordering issue isn't really the frustrating part though. The frustrating part is emailing Kobo customer support Saturday and not getting a response for days on end and not being able to call their tech support phone number. Every time I try to call, I get a half-ring followed by silence.

/sigh
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Not good - I'm sure you'll get a refund, although with the current backlogs at Kobo support it may take a while.

Maybe you just need to be a very squeaky wheel.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Call your credit card company and explain they should give you a refund. Paypal should also give you a refund. This can take at least a month.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update

Managed to speak to a live human being, and Kobo customer care really went the extra mile to disappoint. From being subjected to broken hold music for 10 minutes (I now have a catchy "blerp" sound running on an endless loop through my head), to the rep with an accent that could best be described as "mouth full of marbles", to call sound quality that would have made Alexander Graham Bell blush, the whole experience transcended awful and became almost magical.

Oh, the solution the rep could provide? My issue will be escalated to the "hrmphred" department and I'll receive an email within 48 to 72 hours. So exactly the position I was in on Saturday when I sent an e-mail.

On the plus side, short of putting sugar in my gas tank, Kobo customer care has surely reached the limit of their ability to disappoint.

Edit

I should also note that after having me spell my name out and looking through my account, the rep dubbed me "Norm". That's not my name, not a variant of my name and in fact shares only one letter with my name. I can only assume that in the rep's culture, "Norm" is a sign of deep respect and honour.

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 11-22-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Update

Managed to speak to a live human being, and Kobo customer care really went the extra mile to disappoint. From being subjected to broken hold music for 10 minutes (I now have a catchy "blerp" sound running on an endless loop through my head), to the rep with an accent that could best be described as "mouth full of marbles", to call sound quality that would have made Alexander Graham Bell blush, the whole experience transcended awful and became almost magical.

I just called Kobo Customer Service for the first time today also.

If anyone from Kobo is reading this, change the hold music and turn it down. It was the most horrid hold music I've ever heard.

I, also, had trouble understanding the CSR with whom I spoke, not only accent, but call quality. I did get a prompt email requesting photos of my issue. Whether they follow through with good service remains to be seen.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Ninjalawyer
Guru

As one last update, I can confirm that Kobo was in fact able to disappoint me a little more tonight; I should never have doubted them. The book I was reading, purchased last week from the Kobo store, just happens to be missing the last chapter. Okay, so not customer service related, but funny timing anyway.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
Kindle has the best customer service in the business. When i had a issue they called me on the phone no waiting on hold at all.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Ninjalawyer
Guru

Posted my issue at www.getsatisfaction.com/kobo, got a response within 5 minutes and my account credited within an hour!
Old 11-28-2011, 12:46 AM   #9
exNookie
exNookie has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch
I had issues with kobobooks and was charged 2 times for a single purchase. Then the book never downloaded for me. So I'm out $15 and have no book.

I called customer service the same day, told I would hear back or receive an email within 2-3 days. I haven't heard a thing since.

Bullshit.
exNookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
exNookie. You have alternatives for follow-up. See the post right above yours.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
Ninjalawyer
Guru

Oddly, the book that Kobo added to my account disappeared a few days later, leaving no trace in the "purchased" section of the Kobo website.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hey Ninja, sorry to have to ask, but please send me your ticket # shasan at kobo dot com
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
exNookie
exNookie has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch
I have good news to report. Perhaps Kobo is improving their customer service. Yesterday I received an email that the book I bought (twice due to a website error) and never received is now available for download. I was able to download it successfully.

I need to check my credit card now to see if they gave me a refund for the second purchase.

So far so good.

Thanks kobo!
exNookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #14
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Update
I should also note that after having me spell my name out and looking through my account, the rep dubbed me "Norm". That's not my name, not a variant of my name and in fact shares only one letter with my name. I can only assume that in the rep's culture, "Norm" is a sign of deep respect and honour.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I will never understand why Amazon does not sell ebooks in Canada. They have a US store and a French store, so what the heck? They would put Kobo out of business if they only tried - best customer service ever. 7 day return period on ebooks. I am not even Canadian and find it aggravating that they are dragging their feet like this!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote