Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Graphical layout vs. semantically "correct" XHTML code

I am quite new to ebooks, and am working on a project to make an ePub out of an old book. I have scanned it and used OCR to extract the plain text out of it, but now remains the work of formatting this text. I write all the HTML code myself to have 100% control over the semantics and use CSS to do layout, but I have run into some problems concerning the table of contents.

I know that the ePub have a special file (.toc) to take care of this, but since I am scanning an old printed book, I want the electronic version to be as close to the original as possible. I would therefore like to have a table of contents in my epub (as a part of the spine and as a part of the linear reading order) so I can read the digital edition just as if it was printed on paper.

The table of contents should look something like this

_______________Section1
_1__Title1_____________________________12
_2__Title2_____________________________20
_3__Title3_____________________________28
_______________Section2
10__Title10____________________________128
11__Title11____________________________140

All the underscores are supposed to be spaces, but I could not do that when posting. Note that the titles of each chapter is aligned, the chapter numbers are right aligned, the chapter pages (I know that the concept of pages no longer makes sence, but in this case I choose to keep them since this is an old and rare book and since pages can be retained by the pagemap element) are left aligned. The titles should be clickable (as hyperlinks). I also think of making page numbers clickable.

The main goal is that the table of contents shall look exactly like the printed version, but I want to use semantically correct coding as well. I can easily create this layout in a table, but I have my doubt that a table is the best way, semantically speaking, to represent the contents of a book.

I have tried an ordered list (<ol>), but ran into problems with the chapter numbers beginning at 1 again in the second list (I need to have one list of chapters for each section), and have had problems with not being able to set the start value of an <ol>.

I have also tried to use spans and format each part (the chapter numbers in one span, chapter title in another and page number in a third), and use different css-codes (by adjusting float, display:block, display:inline-block,adjust margins and so on) to make something that looks correct in a browser. I have not yet tried packing it as .epub.

By experience I know that each reading device will do a different layout, and that most readers will both represent it gaphically correct if I use a table, but that many will have troubles with floating paragraphs and different types of display and visibility-attributes. Nevertheless I think that a table is the least semantically correct of my options, but would like to hear what views you experts have on this before I decide. What is beeing used "out there" to represent contents, and are there any smart ways I have not thought of yet? Any tips and/or comments are most welcome.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Personally, I'd say that a table is well-suited both graphically and semantically for a detailed table of contents such as you have there.

After all, it's not like you're using it to line up unrelated text, but yours actually functions to give 1:1:1 data on what #/name/page location the chapters have.

If it helps any, Project Gutenberg lays out their print-equivalent-with-page-numbers reproduction TOCs in tables, too.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:51 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by norway1456 View Post
The main goal is that the table of contents shall look exactly like the printed version, but I want to use semantically correct coding as well. I can easily create this layout in a table, but I have my doubt that a table is the best way, semantically speaking, to represent the contents of a book.
Well, "exactly like" is probably something you won't get, page sizes and font sizes in the printed book will not match screen sizes and font sizes in the ebook (if only because in the ebook they can be changed by the user).

Otherwise, I agree with ATDrake that a table seems OK here

Quote:
I have tried an ordered list (<ol>), but ran into problems with the chapter numbers beginning at 1 again in the second list (I need to have one list of chapters for each section), and have had problems with not being able to set the start value of an <ol>.
Lists are fine for webpages, but I avoid them in books (at least in non-technical books). They don't have enough flexibility in the current specs.

Quote:
I have also tried to use spans and format each part (the chapter numbers in one span, chapter title in another and page number in a third), and use different css-codes (by adjusting float, display:block, display:inline-block,adjust margins and so on) to make something that looks correct in a browser. I have not yet tried packing it as .epub.
That could be my choice... if the ePUB spec supported inline-block.

What you could do is use the table-* display values for your divs and spans. This should give an equivalent result to a table, but you are not coding directly a table, and you could change the layout just by altering the CSS.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Well, "exactly like" is probably something you won't get, page sizes and font sizes in the printed book will not match screen sizes and font sizes in the ebook (if only because in the ebook they can be changed by the user).
Yes, I chose my words a bit unfortunate there. What I ment was that i would like the same content to be laid out by the reader in the same way, but of course fonts and sizes/margins and so on will be different from reader to reader. But I would like to preserve all the content in the digital edition

Quote:
Otherwise, I agree with ATDrake that a table seems OK here
Nice to hear that, because it will be much easier to use tables to format column layout, since that's what they're best at. I've always heard that tables should be avoided since they are little flexible to reflow and that it is wrong to chose tables just for straightening out layout-issues.

Quote:
Lists are fine for webpages, but I avoid them in books (at least in non-technical books). They don't have enough flexibility in the current specs.
With "current specs", I assume that you mean and an "old" CSS so that there are many things whics are impossible to do.being unable to choose whether the numbers in the ordered list should be left- or right-aligned, and to set a start value to <li> without using css counters, which epub does not support? It's unfortunate that epub requires both a very stringent HTML and an "old" CSS so that there are many things that are impossible to do.

Quote:
That could be my choice... if the ePUB spec supported inline-block.

What you could do is use the table-* display values for your divs and spans. This should give an equivalent result to a table, but you are not coding directly a table, and you could change the layout just by altering the CSS.
Forum indicates that inline-block might not be supported, but I will try to use display:table-* on spans. Will all readers support the display:table*-property? It would be sad if the table of contents were collaped to that every line looked like:
chapter1Title1Page1
chapter2Title2Page2
If the display:table property is not properly supported on most major platform, I might wish to go for a <table> just to make things compatible, but if display:table is supported, I feel more comfortable with that because e.g. a text-to-speech tool will "see" ordinary spans instead of a table.

By the way: thanks for quick and useful feedback. I now have a few more ideas how to use things.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:10 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It would be sad if the table of contents were collaped to that every line looked like:
chapter1Title1Page1
chapter2Title2Page2
If you include the spaces within the <span>s, it would degrade to:

chapter1 Title1 Page1
chapter2 Title2 Page2

which is not perfect, but it's not too bad either.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Iznogood
Guru

Thank you, Jellby, that's a great idea. I have implemented your solution, and it is looking pretty good. Is there any other way to increase the space between Title1 and Page1 except using emspace or several spaces of type &nbsp;?

I also have come across another small problem with the title page:
I would like to have the title and the author on top of the title page. This I can manage without problems with ordinary <h>-tags with margins. But I have not found a good way to get the publishers name on the bottom og the page. The layout I'm hoping to achieve is something like this:

|
|
|
|
|
|
|**PUBLISHER
|
|_______________

The lines is supposed to indicate the page/screen. The stars (*) are white spaces.

What I would like is that when I change font size, the author name and publisher moves towards each other (so that the content stays on one side as long as it is possible):
|
|PUBLISHER
|
|__________
The aspect ratio is the same, but the fonts are bigger and the text closer to each other. When the font size is so big that all the contents cannot fit into one page, I want a page break between author and publisher:

|
|
|
|_______________

|
|_______________

I have tried several ways to do this:
1) #publisher{ position:absolute;bottom:1em;}
2) #publisher{ position:relative;top:60%; }
3) body,html{ height:100%;}
#publisher{ display:table-row; } and insert a span with display:table-cell and vertical-align:bottom and put a div around all this with { display:table;height:100%; },

but none of this have worked as expected. The two first gives problem with overlap, pluss it doesn't work in ADE and are discouraged in ePub as far as I can read from the forum. The third works in ADE, escept that I can't get the publisher to the bottom of the page.

Any tips to how to solve this? Are there anything I have not thought of, or done wrong?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

There's no way to have things at the bottom of the page, because there is no "page" concept in ePUB (other than for the @page margins). I'd just add some vertical space, and let it be.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
Iznogood
Guru

That was what I was afraid of. I have also tried another approach:

1) CSS
html,body { height:95%;margin-top:0em;margin-bottom:0em;overflow:visible; }
.titlecell1 { padding-top:1em;padding-bottom:1em;min-height:60%; }

2) HTML
<div class="titlecell1" style="background-color:red;">
<h1 class="title1">TITLE</h1>
<h2 class="title2">AUTHOR</h2>
</div>
<h3 class="title3">PUBLISHER</h3>

And this works - almost. I get the title and the author inside the top div. This div has a min-height of 60%, so that it occupies at least 60% of the screen while allowing it to be resized when the font size increases and the content requires more than 60% of the screen size. For small font sizes the last <h3> will sit nicely and quietly below the 60% top div.

Thus it is possible to have the publisher at the bottom 40% of the screen. It will only be moved when the contents of the top div expands and requires more than the top 60% of the page.

The problem is that when the font size is so large (or the screen is so small) that all the contents cannot fit into one page, a page-break is inevitable. When that happens, the content of the last page is not visible. ADE shows TITLE and AUTHOR on one page, but on the next page I find the table of contents rather than the publisher. My guess is that the publisher disappears because I have set body to 100%, i.e. that the publisher is "below" the reading screen instead of placed on the next screen. Could there be a work-around for this?
Old 04-04-2011, 02:47 AM   #9
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
That was what I was afraid of. I have also tried another approach:

(snip)

The problem is that when the font size is so large (or the screen is so small) that all the contents cannot fit into one page, a page-break is inevitable. When that happens, the content of the last page is not visible. ADE shows TITLE and AUTHOR on one page, but on the next page I find the table of contents rather than the publisher. My guess is that the publisher disappears because I have set body to 100%, i.e. that the publisher is "below" the reading screen instead of placed on the next screen. Could there be a work-around for this?
I think you'd have hard time doing it with CSS2. You need either media queries (will be there in EPUB3, may already be there in iBooks) or XPGT (Adobe-specific extension).

Personally, I do these sort of pages (covers, title pages, etc) with SVG scaled to fit to exactly one page. Otherwise you have to invent yet another CSS layout strategy for any new layout.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:01 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
When I've done title pages in a similar way, I've set the height (not min-height) of the different sections. That way the title page always fits on one screen, and you don't have the text wrapping problem.

Instead, you get text overlapping then the font gets too big for the page size.

I don't know of a way to get the title page to fit nicely if it can, but to wrap to a new page if necessary.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #11
Iznogood
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
I think you'd have hard time doing it with CSS2. You need either media queries (will be there in EPUB3, may already be there in iBooks) or XPGT (Adobe-specific extension).

Personally, I do these sort of pages (covers, title pages, etc) with SVG scaled to fit to exactly one page. Otherwise you have to invent yet another CSS layout strategy for any new layout.
Sounds like I have to add this layout to my continuously growing list of "impossibilities with ePub" and hope that EPUB3 will be around soon.

You say that I could use XPGT and that you use SVG. What is the difference between SVG and XPGT? I know that there exists an adobe-specific stylesheet called page-template.xpgt, but have never used it because I like to specify my own stylesheets in CSS. I have tried to read the file, but didn't understand much of it. Any tips to sites where I can find any documentation and syntax for the page-template?

As for SVG, if I understand correctly, SVG contents will only be visible in adobe and invisible in all other viewers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
When I've done title pages in a similar way, I've set the height (not min-height) of the different sections. That way the title page always fits on one screen, and you don't have the text wrapping problem.

Instead, you get text overlapping then the font gets too big for the page size.
I chose to set the min-height because I wanted the divs to resize when the contents grew to avoid overlapping texts, but if the cost of that is that some of the text will disappear, I think I prefer your solution. Or maybe I just stick to Jellbys idea to use a fix height between the various sections. That solution has several disadvantages, the most severe of them is that a margin set in em will increase with increasing font sizes, whereas I would like the margin to decrease (in order to give room for the growing content) or at least be constant (not require any more room than it already does). Any ideas to a unit that does not increase with increasing font-sizes and looks reasonable(TM) in most reading devices and independent of screen size and resolution?

Last edited by Iznogood; 04-04-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Any ideas to a unit that does not increase with increasing font-sizes and looks reasonable(TM) in most reading devices and independent of screen size and resolution?
"mm", "in", "pt"... those are absolute units and should remain constant whatever the font size, screen and resolution.

Note that using percent in heights (or vertical margins) will often not give you what you expect, because, unless you fix the height of some container block, there is no vertical length the percent can refer to. You'd expect it to refer to the screen height, but as far as I know, this is not in the spec, and there's no guaranty any reading software behaves like that.

For the moment I'd advise you not to try to do any "clever" things with page layout and use simple blocks with sensible margins instead, it's much less prone to breaking and can look relatively fine in most circumstances.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:10 AM   #13
Iznogood
Guru

I think I'll follow that advice, Jellby. At least until there are more universal and cross-platform means to solve this problem. I'm looking forward to ePub3 mentioned by Peter Sorotokin and hope that this problem can be solved then. When can I hope that ePub 3 can be released?

I have just a few more questions and some minor decitions to make, and then I'm finished with converting my first book to ePub
-<i> or <em>?
I have some words in my book that are emphasized with italics, and I am considering changing marking to <em> for these instead of <i> as I have used until now. My little problem is: should I replace all i tags with em, and where is it semantically correct to use <i>? So far I have used <i> to make emphasized dialog, mark up sitations in text (a letter), mark references to book titles (he has also written <i>title</i> (...)) and styling times (at <i style="font-size:0.8em;">11:49</i> we were finished (...))

-<strong>
Where would it be appropriate and semantically correct to use strong? Strong is a bit heavier emphasize than em, if I understand correctly?

Ellipsis
Is it best to use three periods, or … (the unicode for &hellip?

I'm sorry to trouble the forum with trifles like these, but I have read quite a bit at the internet, and have read many contradictory statements that I decided to ask the experts about this matter

Last edited by Iznogood; 04-05-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:29 AM   #14
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
From what I've read (mostly @ W3C and various related usage evangelists), it would be semantically correct to use <i> in situations where you're reproducing portions of text which are for some unobviously related reason (such as purposes of style or visual separation) italicized.

I've seen anthologies and poetry books where brief intro text and/or comments on the work were italicized, while the actual story/poem was in regular font style, to make it clear they were separately written. Also epigraphs and the like.

If the dialogue/narrative seems to be emphasized for reasons related to contextual meaning (foreign language phrases, someone being emphatic in their speech/observations, etc.), then <em> or <span> with style seems to be the way to go. (I freely admit that I'm lazy and rarely bother using either.)

<cite> for citations will give the same stylistic effect but greater semantic usefulness if one day they make better search engines which can take advantage of that.

Yes, <strong> goes where you would normally use bold, as being one step even more emphatic than italics.

Hope this helps.

ETA: I should add that a lot of the evangelism was rather tilted towards deprecating <i>, <b>,<u> etc. entirely in favour of completely semantic markup.

But a vague consensus seems to be that if you don't know/can't tell why the text was italicized/bolded/underlined in the first place, just leave it as is and don't try to second-guess the original typesetter's intentions; just maybe add a few class attributes so you can easily group and distinguish the italicized blocks from the italicized single lines, or whatever.

Last edited by ATDrake; 04-05-2011 at 01:36 AM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:59 AM   #15
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
SYou say that I could use XPGT and that you use SVG. What is the difference between SVG and XPGT?
SVG is a standard part of EPUB2, XPGT is an Adobe extension. They are totally different technologies. SVG is vector image format. XPGT is a stylesheet.

Quote:
I know that there exists an adobe-specific stylesheet called page-template.xpgt, but have never used it because I like to specify my own stylesheets in CSS. I have tried to read the file, but didn't understand much of it. Any tips to sites where I can find any documentation and syntax for the page-template?
It used to be described here: http://blogs.adobe.com/digitaleditions/template.html - however our blogging systems has changed and now you have to go through some sort of Internet cache to get it, e.g.: http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200.../template.html

Quote:
As for SVG, if I understand correctly, SVG contents will only be visible in adobe and invisible in all other viewers?
Should be visible in any decent viewer. SVG is a standard part of EPUB2. If SVG is not there, many CSS properties probably also won't be there.

If SVG is no supported, you will still most likely to see the text - but without formatting.

What other viewers do you have in mind?

Quote:
I chose to set the min-height because I wanted the divs to resize when the contents grew to avoid overlapping texts, but if the cost of that is that some of the text will disappear, I think I prefer your solution. Or maybe I just stick to Jellbys idea to use a fix height between the various sections. That solution has several disadvantages, the most severe of them is that a margin set in em will increase with increasing font sizes, whereas I would like the margin to decrease (in order to give room for the growing content) or at least be constant (not require any more room than it already does). Any ideas to a unit that does not increase with increasing font-sizes and looks reasonable(TM) in most reading devices and independent of screen size and resolution?
Device manufacturers do play tricks with resolution. It is true that 1pt is more stable than 1px, but it still not very reliable.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote