Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Talking eBook Virgin Who Just Took The Plunge!

Hello everyone! As you can see from the title of my post, I'm an eBook virgin and I've been lurking these forums over the last few days trying to get smart about eBooks & the various readers available. I had myself convinced that the new Sony Pocket Edition (PRC-300) was the one for me until I read Matt Miller's recent review and I found this forum for the Astak EZReader Pro! I took the plunge & ordered the 5" white model on Wednesday & it's now on it's way to me!

What changed my mind you ask? 2 things: the plethora of formats available to choose from that are compatible with the Astak and the fact that Astak includes a cover & AC adapter in their package, whereas these are not included with the Sony.

So, now that my eyes are bleeding from all the reading up I've been doing, I have one question that I haven't see addressed wrt the 5" EZReader. How many books - on average - can I load into the reader's internal memory and how many - on average - can fit on a 1GB SD card?

Thanks!
Lisa
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I do not load any books on the internal memory but I have a 2 gig sd card that I have close to 1000 ebooks and I still have close to a gig of free memory.

chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Welcome, Lisa, to Astak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Hello everyone! As you can see from the title of my post, I'm an eBook virgin and I've been lurking these forums over the last few days trying to get smart about eBooks & the various readers available. I had myself convinced that the new Sony Pocket Edition (PRC-300) was the one for me until I read Matt Miller's recent review and I found this forum for the Astak EZReader Pro! I took the plunge & ordered the 5" white model on Wednesday & it's now on it's way to me!

What changed my mind you ask? 2 things: the plethora of formats available to choose from that are compatible with the Astak and the fact that Astak includes a cover & AC adapter in their package, whereas these are not included with the Sony.

So, now that my eyes are bleeding from all the reading up I've been doing, I have one question that I haven't see addressed wrt the 5" EZReader. How many books - on average - can I load into the reader's internal memory and how many - on average - can fit on a 1GB SD card?

Thanks!
Lisa
Dear Lisa:

I work for Astak and I only want to welcome you to the Astak Dedicated Forum and to your new device. Your EZ Reader Pocket PRO is a great device and you will appreciate it more as the years go by and you find it is still modern and reliable.

I was ecstatic that you noted Matthew Miller (The Mobile Gadgeteer). Matt is one of the finest and most personal reviewers and when he likes something he lets people know. He really likes the Pocket PRO.

You helped me a lot by saying what really brought you to the Pocket PRO... the multitude of formats and what comes in the box! That is important for me to know and I appreciate that!

We will be adding more formats as time goes on. We hope relatively soon to add Fictionwise eReader as a DRM format. These DRM formats can be somewhat large... so most of the people here load their music and eBooks onto the SD card and leave the internal memory for formats. You do not HAVE to do this... but it can help keep you organized. Plus, any time that you have an SD card in the Pocket PRO it will automatically open to the card and not the internal memory... saving you time.

Again, thank you and welcome. If you have any questions please read the FAQ sheet on www.theEZreader.com (under "support) or send an email to: support@astak.com
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I have one question that I haven't see addressed wrt the 5" EZReader. How many books - on average - can I load into the reader's internal memory and how many - on average - can fit on a 1GB SD card?
The Pocket Pro has 512MB flash memory. eBooks around very rarely more than 1MB, and usually less than 0.5MB.

So you should be able to get at least 500 book on the internal memory probably more like 1000.

On a 1GB SD Card you can fit twice as many.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
Quote:

Thanks!
Lisa
Welcome! I am sure you've made some people (Robertb) very, very happy with your purchase and the reasons behind it! Now I just hope my preordered slate blue one arrives soon so I can say I had mine before you get yours!

[EDIT: Robertb responded before I could even finish my post!]

Your question can only be answered very approximately because "average" is not very likely to be a useful concept to describe how you, personally, will use the storage space. You have to factor in the actual book length, the format, and whether or not the file includes images. (I have epub files with images included that take 2+ mb compared to 600 kb or so w/o them.) I also have some slim books of poetry with no illustrations that take under 100 kb.

As a very rough guide, though, you can safely assume that 1 gb will hold several hundred long or > 1000 "typical" novels quite comfortably.

To work through a real-world example -- a "typical" sci-fi novel (1633, by Eric Flint and David Weber)takes up wildly different amounts of space depending on the format you prefer to use.

Paper length -- according to Amazon (don't have my printed copy handy), it's a 688 page paperback. Beyond a few simple line-art maps, it has no particular illustrations.

According to my Baen downloaded file sizes on my particular PC, this book takes:

732 kb in RB
856 kb in LIT
940 kb in PRC
954 kb in epub
3,506 kb in RTF

Last edited by Morlac; 09-11-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to all for the info & recommendations! I'm now leaning towards getting a 2GB SD card & will just load/unload eBooks from that.

One more question! For just the "typical" novel (i.e. Dan Brown, Steven King, John Grisham, etc) what online eBook store do you all recommend? I have checked with my local library system & they have eBooks available for checkout in the Mobipocket format - is this format compatible with the PocketPro?
Old 09-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Congrats Lisa! You made an excellent choice, and I'm sure you will have many years of happy reading with it.

Buy books? What's that? There are soooo many free ebooks out there, especially if you like romance, politics, or scifi. I've got some links below in my signature section.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Congrats Lisa! You made an excellent choice, and I'm sure you will have many years of happy reading with it.

Buy books? What's that? There are soooo many free ebooks out there, especially if you like romance, politics, or scifi. I've got some links below in my signature section.

Thanks DixieGal - I'll give those links a try!
Old 09-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:

Thanks DixieGal - I'll give those links a try!
Dont forget that those new shiny PP get a free SD card (256 Mb or 1 GB) loaded with free ebooks
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Just to add a slightly dissenting opinion on the "stick with free" idea: If you find an author or publisher you like, please consider supporting them and "voting with your wallet" by actually purchasing some of their non-free content. It helps keep them in business and shows the marketplace the direction you want things to move. Without that support, they may not be able to continue bringing out more of the content you like!

(And just to keep things Astak-related I will note that thinking is one of the factors in my own thinking in purchasing a Pocket Pro. They are doing things I approve of -- like wide format support and listening to the users -- so why not support that?)
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
For just the "typical" novel (i.e. Dan Brown, Steven King, John Grisham, etc) what online eBook store do you all recommend? I have checked with my local library system & they have eBooks available for checkout in the Mobipocket format - is this format compatible with the PocketPro?
Only Adobe lending library ebooks work on the Pocket Pro. Most libraries have more Adobe than MOBI ebooks, but you may have found one that only does MOBI. See Wiki: EBook Lending Libraries for more information. Note in particular "Finding Libraries" which links to OverDrive search (OverDrive supplies most library ebook collections in the US).

For ePub ebooks, I recommend Books on Board in the US and WHSmith in the UK. The Pocket Pro can also read Adobe PDF ebooks (sometimes called Adobe Digital Editions ebooks, or even just Adobe ebooks), but get the Adobe ePub version if it is available because ePub generally displays better than PDF.

Last edited by wallcraft; 09-11-2009 at 02:37 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #12
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
I have checked with my local library system & they have eBooks available for checkout in the Mobipocket format - is this format compatible with the PocketPro?
Library books usually have drm. Pocket Pro only supports non drm Mobi. This is because Amazon doesn't allow anybody who uses drm mobi to also have another drm format on the same device.

You could always remove the drm as long as you only keep it for your own use.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #13
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Books On Board is a great source

Quote:
Thanks to all for the info & recommendations! I'm now leaning towards getting a 2GB SD card & will just load/unload eBooks from that.

One more question! For just the "typical" novel (i.e. Dan Brown, Steven King, John Grisham, etc) what online eBook store do you all recommend? I have checked with my local library system & they have eBooks available for checkout in the Mobipocket format - is this format compatible with the PocketPro?
Dear Lisa:

Books On Board has more Adobe Digital Editions eBooks than anyone I know. They would be perfect as they are friendly and growing at a rate of 3,000 ADE eBooks a month!!! Powell's Books is also a great ADE source!

We do list links for free eBooks on our website: www.theEZreader.com

Also, everybody on here is wonderful, but pay particular attention to Wallcraft! He is a Moderator and he really knows what he is saying. Wallcraft posts are always insightful and helpful. I think we all look up to him!

Last edited by Robertb; 09-11-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #14
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlac View Post
Just to add a slightly dissenting opinion on the "stick with free" idea: If you find an author or publisher you like, please consider supporting them and "voting with your wallet" by actually purchasing some of their non-free content. It helps keep them in business and shows the marketplace the direction you want things to move. Without that support, they may not be able to continue bringing out more of the content you like!

(And just to keep things Astak-related I will note that thinking is one of the factors in my own thinking in purchasing a Pocket Pro. They are doing things I approve of -- like wide format support and listening to the users -- so why not support that?)
I agree! I have no problem supporting writers that whose work I enjoy, both fiction & non-fiction! My political collection is quickly growing & getting ready to overtake my "mindless entertainment" novels!

I have found that the only eBook freebies I've downloaded for my iPhone are those that are in the public domain (i.e. classics like H. Rider Haggard & Jules Verne), but I don't really like the iPhone for book reading - it's just a tad too small for me. Otherwise, I love it!
Old 09-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #15
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Only Adobe lending library ebooks work on the Pocket Pro. Most libraries have more Adobe than MOBI ebooks, but you may have found one that only does MOBI. See Wiki: EBook Lending Libraries for more information. Note in particular "Finding Libraries" which links to OverDrive search (OverDrive supplies most library ebook collections in the US).

For ePub ebooks, I recommend Books on Board in the US and WHSmith in the UK. The Pocket Pro can also read Adobe PDF ebooks (sometimes called Adobe Digital Editions ebooks, or even just Adobe ebooks), but get the Adobe ePub version if it is available because ePub generally displays better than PDF.

Well go figure! I live in an area where the public library system only uses the MOBI format. Just my luck!