Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-25-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
How-to: build a toolchain for the iliad using crosstool

For more information on building a toolchain for the iliad using crosstool, see the wiki page (it's more detailed than this description):
Mobileread Wiki: Notes about building a toolchain for the iliad using crosstool

Original post follows...
Hi all!

I've built a toolchain for the iliad using crosstool (for using it with scratchbox, but it also works without it). Here are the instructions (tested on Debian Sarge):

1. Untar the attached file in the home of your user (it's a tar.gz despite the .zip extension -- the .zip was a workaround to be able to upload the file). It should create a crosstool subdirectory
2. Download crosstool 0.42 (crosstool-0.42.tar.gz) from http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.42.tar.gz to the crosstool subdirectory and unpack it there. You should have now a lot of files in ~/crosstool/crosstool-0.42/
3. cd ~/crosstool/crosstool-0.42/
4. cp ../demo-iliad.sh .
5. Edit demo-iliad.sh and change RESULT_TOP to suit your tastes
6. Execute the following ". ../prepare.sh" just to be sure there is no LD_LIBRARY_PATH set
7. Start compiling the new toolchain with "./demo-iliad.sh"
8. Wait a lot of time while the toolchain builds
9. That's all, you should have your new toolchain in the specified RESULT_TOP directory.

Notes:

1. The libc is built against linux-2.4.19-rmk7-pxa2, but not linux-2.4.19-rmk7-pxa2-irex as irex hasn't published the patch yet.
2. The libc used is 2.3.3, but the iliad has 2.3.4 with the name renamed to 2.3.3; executables built with this toolchain should work in the iliad, but the executables in the iliad doesn't like the libc of the toolchain (no problem, but you should know it, just if a problem arises...)

Have fun!
Attached Files
File Type: zip crosstool-iliad-files.tar.gz.zip (1.04 MB, 1105 views)

Last edited by Antartica; 09-20-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
I'm preparing the instructions for building the toolchain from scrtach, aimed at iliad firmware 2.9

The "work in progress" wiki page is here:

Notes about building a toolchain for the iliad using crosstool

Any needed files will be attached to this post O:-).
Attached Files
File Type: txt demo-iliad-softfloat-29.sh.txt (513 Bytes, 884 views)
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
maybe someone could make a vmware (vmplayer is free) image with the crosscompiler already setup
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:07 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite66
maybe someone could make a vmware (vmplayer is free) image with the crosscompiler already setup
That is an excellent idea!! Any volunteers?

PS: We could also host the vmware image if it's kept to a minimum size.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
That is an excellent idea!! Any volunteers?

PS: We could also host the vmware image if it's kept to a minimum size.
I had planned to set this up once Antartica posts an updated tool chain. However, my current VMware image is 2GB... Bittorrent may be a better choice. I'll see what I can do about keeping the file size down.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
I had planned to set this up once Antartica posts an updated tool chain. However, my current VMware image is 2GB... Bittorrent may be a better choice. I'll see what I can do about keeping the file size down.
I agree, a torrent seems best.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:54 AM   #7
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
someone made a 121MB image based off DSL (Damn small linux) for zaurus development.
no idea if this is compatible or just an example of how small you can make a build system.
http://kopsisengineering.com/kopsis/SharpZaurusSdkDsl
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:22 AM   #8
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
However, my current VMware image is 2GB... Bittorrent may be a better choice. I'll see what I can do about keeping the file size down.
Quote:
I agree, a torrent seems best.
Another alternative would be to use a one-click-hoster like uploaded.to or oxedion.com to share such a large VM-image. I don't know, whether we are enough users for BT [the more users the better].
[Edit:] Both sites don't have a waiting time like rapidshare after a download. It's free to up~ & download.

Last edited by yokos; 03-19-2007 at 07:25 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:54 AM   #9
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
i think thats uncompressed, isn't it?
with some sort of compression you should get some reasonable file size. (given that you can be able to fit a default ubuntu install into < 800 MB, example: http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/693)
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:22 AM   #10
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
i think thats uncompressed, isn't it?
with some sort of compression you should get some reasonable file size. (given that you can be able to fit a default ubuntu install into < 800 MB, example: http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/693)
You're right, that is uncompressed. I just Gzip'd it, turned out to be 384MB. That's a much more reasonable size....
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #11
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
You're right, that is uncompressed. I just Gzip'd it, turned out to be 384MB. That's a much more reasonable size....
I don't think torrent is the correct solution for this, too few users. Even emule would be better I think.

Anyway, if hosting is a big problem I can host it at home (I have ASDL2+) or at work (2Mib/s outgoing optical thingy), should be more than enough.
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Sounds good. We would definitely store it @ MR as well but it would be necessary to find backup download sites.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #13
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Sounds good. We would definitely store it @ MR as well but it would be necessary to find backup download sites.
No problem. It is a shame to waste all that free bandwith
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:15 AM   #14
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
my hoster recently offered me unlimited traffic - so i'd also love to donate a backup server.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:31 AM   #15
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

what about this?
the download is not so nice, but mostly you get a steady connection between 70 and 100kb/s. and be warned, i have my Opera fed with some up2date adblocker list, so I can't see ads that may or may not be there.

http://www.gigeshare.com/
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote