Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
protodoll
protodoll began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Droid RAZR
Which Kobo should I buy?

I bought my first Kobo (KO) on the day it came out and have loved it ever since. I've since purchased upwards of 50 books from the Kobo store and probably 20 epubs from varying other places.

Of course, I'm careless and clumsy and am, in fact, a little proud that it took me this long to break it (in the middle of Wise Man's Fear no less! ARGH!).

I want to replace it with another Kobo for the following reasons:

1. Easier than working with ADE to get all of my books to a different brand of reader

2. I'm Canadian; Nooks aren't worth the hassle and Kindles don't come with 3G.

3. I need it now (see above: Wise Man's Fear). I live in Toronto, so if it's sold in stores in Canada I can probably get it. But I can spit and hit three different stores that carry Kobos, so...

All this being said, do I want a Kobo Wifi or a Kobo Touch (or is there a better ereader I should be going after given the criteria above)? I've heard bad things about the response time on the page-turn taps on the touch, but I've also heard that Pearl makes a pretty big difference. Price isn't really a problem here, I'm just desperate to get reading again.

Thanks!
protodoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I would go for the Touch. If you're ok with the page turns and general speed of the older Kobos I think you'll be blown away with the speed of the new one. But why take anyone's word for it when you can go to the store and try for yourself?
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by protodoll View Post
Of course, I'm clumsy and am, in fact, a little proud that it took me this long to break it (in the middle of Wise Man's Fear no less! ARGH!).
Have you tried Kobo support to see what they have to say? Nothing ventured, nothing gained....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
protodoll
protodoll began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Droid RAZR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Have you tried Kobo support to see what they have to say? Nothing ventured, nothing gained....
I thought about it, but I did drop it. From a great height. It looks... well, see for yourself. It's also long past warranty at this point. Would it even be worth it? I may bring it with me if I end up at Indigo tonight and ask them what they think.
protodoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I only suggest it as last winter I slipped and fell with my WiFi in my pocket while cleanign the drive. Screen broken. I got in touch and at that time, no go so bought a new WiFi.

Later on I saw posts from people who were now having units with broken screens replaced, so got in touch again.

This time; no hassles at all! Empty box shipped to me that I shipped back (prepaid) with the the WiFi in it. Less than a week later, refurbished WiFi arrived!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
It's interesting that they've started doing that. One of the reasons that I didn't buy a Kobo Touch or Nook Simpletouch for my gf, but instead stayed within the Amazon ecosystem, was because I felt somewhat confident that Amazon would replace it if it broke, and wasn't so sure about Kobo or B&N.

I was seriously thinking that it'd be nice to have an epub capable device around the house, but decided that it wasn't worth the risk.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
ics1974
ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, Iphone 4
Get the touch. You get soo much more for an extra $30. All issue with the touch seems to be firmware related and they will probably be fixed.
ics1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
Charbucks
Charbucks has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo
Another vote for the touch here.

My Wifi started going crazy (legitimate defect), and Chapters replaced it with a Touch, no questions asked. It's *much* faster to turn pages, start up, navigate, etc, and the new font options alone are worth it in my opinion.
Charbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I've had all 3 models, and I agree that the Touch is much superior. But if you are accustomed to the original and satisfied with it, the WiFi is most like the original. It still has a few improvements over the original, and you can get a refurb WiFi cheap in Canada from Best Buy. I would buy the Touch, but it depends what's most important to you.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
Chapters has demos set up so you can test out the Touch and compare it to the Wifi before you buy. I prefer the Touch because it's smaller and the flashing is greatly reduced.
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
I had the same dilemma as you and decided to get the Kobo Touch. I love it! I haven't felt this way about a gadget since I got my first smartphone three years ago.
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
touch FTW
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Having not played with the Touch, I may be in a little bit of a minority opinion here, but I adore my WiFi for the simple reason that it doesn't have a touchscreen. I like the simple, low-drag nature of my Kobo WiFi and the fact that it does what I want it to do -- read ebooks -- very well.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, what-to-buy