Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #211
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Remind me - do I need to restart my PW when I load on new fonts?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #212
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Remind me - do I need to restart my PW when I load on new fonts?
Yep every time.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #213
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So, who has tried the new Charis SIL Modified with KF8 and likes or dislikes the line spacing?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #214
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Just tried it. it's awfully small - I had to be on the third icon from the right to get it to a readable size, which looks to be about 8pt text. The next jump up was huge.

The line spacing looked good - I could have the line spacing on the middle icon and still found the text readable; when i was using Caecilia, I had to have the line spacing on the largest line spacing for my book to be readable with tired eyes.

Other than that, it's a nice, dark, clear font. If the sizing could be fixed, I would have no problem using it.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #215
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So, who has tried the new Charis SIL Modified with KF8 and likes or dislikes the line spacing?
I haven't tried it on the PW but something is wrong with the regular version. It's blank when I open it. When I open it and try to use it in Word it's blank and while I can see the glyphs in Font Creator when I push test it's blank too. All the other ones work fine but the Regular (CharisSILR) is corrupted.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-22-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #216
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-22-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #217
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I haven't tried it on the PW but something is wrong with the regular version. It's blank when I open it. When I open it and try to use it in Word it's blank and while I can see the glyphs in Font Creator when I push test it's blank too. All the other ones work fine but the Regular (CharisSILR) is corrupted.
I've remade the regular, repackaged them and reported them. I've also replaced the link from before. Should be working now.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64cse2dshispx08

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-30-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #218
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I've remade the regular, repackaged them and reported them. I've also replaced the link from before. Should be working now.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xixlsncexwps2tq
It seems to be fixed now. The added weight is much needed when reading in the dark.

My version is pretty much the same.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #219
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It seems to be fixed now. The added weight is much needed when reading in the dark.

My version is pretty much the same.
Would you please post a screen shot so I can see the line height with a KF8 eBook? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #220
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Thanks for your work, JSWolf. I really do like CharisSIL. For me, the line spacing is good.

I installed your modifed font on my Kindle Keyboard and it worked fine on a mobi file but not the KF8- it displayed using the default serif font. I went back to Calibre, converted the mobi to KF8 embedding the font in the process. That worked. Tomorrow, I'll try your latest version. I didn't realize there was a potential problem with the version I used until now.

Anyway, here's a side-by-side of the mobi/KF8 on the KK:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CharisSIL-Mod.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	99919  
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #221
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Would you please post a screen shot so I can see the line height with a KF8 eBook? Thanks.
This is my version but our metrics are exactly the same, I think mine has a tad more weight then yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_01_22T21_01_23-0501.png
Views:	310
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	99920  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #222
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post
Thanks for your work, JSWolf. I really do like CharisSIL. For me, the line spacing is good.

I installed your modifed font on my Kindle Keyboard and it worked fine on a mobi file but not the KF8- it displayed using the default serif font. I went back to Calibre, converted the mobi to KF8 embedding the font in the process. That worked. Tomorrow, I'll try your latest version. I didn't realize there was a potential problem with the version I used until now.

Looks good. I'm going to stick with that one and I'll redo the compact.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #223
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post

A KF8 with custom font wont work on non K5 without the font hack installed unless you embed it.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #224
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
This is my version but our metrics are exactly the same, I think mine has a tad more weight then yours.
I used 15/12 and I used 1650/-800 as the settings.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #225
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I used 15/12 and I used 1650/-800 as the settings.

I used 35/30 for weight. I need it dark for night reading. As for metrics I used the same.