Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2017, 05:11 AM   #1
BuzzB
Enthusiast
BuzzB began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura, Kindle Touch
Moving documents from Android Tablet to Kindle

Hi. I hope this question is in the right place.

I travel a great deal and currently only take an Andoird tablet and Kobo ereader. I don't like reading on the tablet due to the glare and weight. I don not travel with a computer.

I also get sent documents, many in epub format (no DRM), to read. It is impossible with just the tablet to send those documents to the Kobo. I also have a Kindle ereader at home.

I was wondering if I could do the following: Take an epub file on my tablet, use an app to convert it to mobi, and then email it to the Kindle so I can read it on the ereader?

If not, is there another way? Thank you.
BuzzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
As long as it's not copy protected, I see no problem with that. When you buy a kindle device, and register it, you are assigned an email account that allows you to email documents to your kindle device.

You can use the ebook organizer program Calibre (free, open source) to do this with documents as well. It runs on your computer, and can convert almost any eBook format to another and once the kindle device is connected to your computer via the cable, you can send the document directly to the Kindle device. Calibre has many other functions, but I am addressing only those you asked about.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
One possible solution for either your Kobo or Kindle is to use On-the-Go (OTG) to transfer files from your Android tablet via USB. Most newer Android tablets support this. You just need an OTG USB cable and a file transfer app. I have transferred books from a Nexus-7 tablet to a Kindle this way.

If you plan to send books to a Kindle via your Amazon account it will need connectivity to receive the book. Unless your Kindle has built in 3G cellular service, you will need to be in a location with Wi-Fi or tether from another device (e.g. smart phone).

I do not know of any EPUB to MOBI conversion apps for Android. A trick was recently discovered that allows you to email an EPUB to your Amazon account and have it converted and delivered to a Kindle. You can read more in this thread. There may be some limitations with this method or it may stop working eventually.

You should be aware that Kindles treat books you have added yourself (known as personal documents) differently from purchased from Amazon. For example in some cases you won't have use of the best typography (kerning and hyphenation) and cover image thumbnails might not be shown. There are workarounds for some of these issues.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote