Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Book price fixing is apparently (somewhat) more acceptable in the UK and definitely so on the continent.
Looking at the settlements over the conspiracy, the Gang of 6 got off without even a fine over there. They simply promised not to do it anymore and all is suddenly just fine. No restitution to consumers, no punishment. And no monitoring of BPH contracts or accounting.
That portends a less competitive environment moving forward.
Or perhaps it simply means that the European Commision have not yet completed their investigation into ebook pricing which is currently ongoing. The EU is very tough indeed on price-fixing cartels. The motor industry in particular has received enormous fines for this practice, and recently mobile phone operators were forced to drastically lower their roaming charges, which was also regarded as a form of price fixing.

Wait and see what happens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:06 AM   #17
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
The people that I know who have tablets and read, all have readers. I dont know anyone that really reads more than the odd pdf on a tablet.
Certainly agree with you. Both my wife and I have iPads and ereaders. My wife uses her iPad2 primarily for playing games (hidden object, match 3 etc) but when she reads, she uses her Kindle.

My iPad2 is used for internet use, hobby reference/game PDF's and comics. I have and will never read an ebook on it. I find the iPad2 too heavy for sustained reading sessions and LCD screens and I do not have a very good long term relationship.

Two family members were gifted ereaders last Christmas (2012), a Kindle and a PRS-T2. I doubt that would have been uncommon with other families either.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #18
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
The Telegraph piece in question is mostly spin:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...tal-world.html

...and it led to a lively discussion over at the Passive Voice:
http://www.thepassivevoice.com/12/20...digital-world/
It was the Guardian's version I saw:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012...s-rise-digital

...but it looks like it's based on the same press release.

I wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea of my politics based on the wrong newspaper. (Although I mainly buy it for the TV Guide.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea of my politics based on the wrong newspaper. (Although I mainly buy it for the TV Guide.)
You can find useful information (or discussion-fodder) pretty much anywhere.
That's why to pays to keep an eye out on even the least reliable of sources (like Digitimes).
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Or perhaps it simply means that the European Commision have not yet completed their investigation into ebook pricing which is currently ongoing.
One would hope they got something more than a warning and a wink.
But the last I heard, the EC had *accepted* the Gang of Six's plea bargain terms and no mention was made of any further action.
If anything, I saw more outarage over Amazon (and other companies) operating out of Luxenbourg to keep consumer costs low than over the conspiracy.

(shrug)

My main point remains that what has happened (and is happening) in the US is not a good guideline for what is coming in other regions. The book industry is simply too fragmented by region, language, culture, *subject/genre*, and politics. And that is how the traditional publishers like it.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #21
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
The people that I know who have tablets and read, all have readers. I dont know anyone that really reads more than the odd pdf on a tablet. The emerging markets are huge for readers, and no one is really targetting them. If the books are priced low enough, they'd be massive. SA has only just got Kobo, no official support for Kindle. Given that, I've never seen someone reading a book on a tablet (and there are loads of those), tho I've seen countless people reading on imported readers. The closest I see is newspaper readers on larger tablets.
Depends on how you divide tablet and ereader. I read mostly on my Kindle Fire and I certainly consider it a tablet as opposed to an eReader (my dividing line at the moment is whether it has an eInk display or not).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #22
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
One would hope they got something more than a warning and a wink.
But the last I heard, the EC had *accepted* the Gang of Six's plea bargain terms and no mention was made of any further action.
If anything, I saw more outarage over Amazon (and other companies) operating out of Luxenbourg to keep consumer costs low than over the conspiracy.

(shrug)

My main point remains that what has happened (and is happening) in the US is not a good guideline for what is coming in other regions. The book industry is simply too fragmented by region, language, culture, *subject/genre*, and politics. And that is how the traditional publishers like it.
The primary "outrage" over Amazon concerns funnelling all their business through a low tax regime and avoiding tax in the countries where the business is actually done... for some reason people think that companies ding business in their country should actually pay tax on their profits mad in that country instead of creative accounting to move their profits to a low tax base and claim to be loss-making in the place where they actually do their business... and that's not just Amazon...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #23
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Ditto. I cannot imagine any avid readers using a tablet as their primary reader. As far as books go, I only use mine to view color pictures occasionally. Most often it is used for games or internet surfing.

Even if I was comfortable reading on my tablet, the battery would run out too quickly considering the amount of reading I do.

As far as the earlier statement that ebooks don't make good gifts (forgot to quote it,) that is certainly a matter of opinion. I think they make fantastic gifts and it's something I love to receive. Other than some elderly people, most folks these days understand and appreciate virtual goods.
Really? I have a iPad, a Sony, a kindle and a kindle fire. I've been reading ebooks since back during the 90's on a palm pilot. My iPad is my primary reader and has been for the last several years. The charge last all day, so no real problems there. I had been using the kindle fire as my lunchtime reader, but I switched to the iPad mini for that. I used the Sony 505 for a number of years and liked it, but the extra screen space is well worth it for me. The bottom line is different strokes for different folks. That's why they make all sorts of different reading platforms and will probably continue to do so for a while.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #24
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The charge last all day, so no real problems there.
The charge is the biggest problem for me. If I used it for nothing but reading, it may work okay as a dedicated reader. However, with so many other tempting things to do on my KF during the day, there is no way the battery would hold out for my few hours of nightly reading.

I suppose if you had several tablets and spread out usage among them, the battery life would be less of a problem.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The charge is the biggest problem for me. If I used it for nothing but reading, it may work okay as a dedicated reader. However, with so many other tempting things to do on my KF during the day, there is no way the battery would hold out for my few hours of nightly reading.

I suppose if you had several tablets and spread out usage among them, the battery life would be less of a problem.
That is one benefit of the iPad over the KF - it does have a considerably longer battery life. I routinely get 12h of actual use from a single charge, and that's with heavy internet usage. Certainly enough to last an entire day.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #26
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That is one benefit of the iPad over the KF - it does have a considerably longer battery life. I routinely get 12h of actual use from a single charge, and that's with heavy internet usage. Certainly enough to last an entire day.
That puts a whole new spin on things. I had no idea the iPad charge lasted so long since I don't own one.

One of my daughters owns one and still uses a dedicated eInk device. However, it makes much practical sense to exclusively use an iPad to read now that I know it has a 12 hour battery life. I had assumed it would be even less than that of KF. I stand corrected.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #27
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
One of my daughters owns one and still uses a dedicated eInk device. However, it makes much practical sense to exclusively use an iPad to read now that I know it has a 12 hour battery life.
That's what I found strange too, but of my two early adopter friends (female) who worship at the feet of the might Fruit, both after owning more than one iPad version, have purchased Kindles. At first I assumed it was a battery issue, but trying to work it out without asking them (because that will result in some skewing I'm sure), I think it is rather to do with portability and a closer-to-paper relationship.

I find phones and tablets to be annoying in the bedroom, since I always feel they are distracting a person. A book or reader requires (Get out PW/Glo, I don't neeeeeed you) the light on and somehow that makes a difference. Being able to read outside during summer is also a big deal for women I think.

Friends and colleagues with more entertainment focused tablets too have readers, or just read paper books. It's why I'm fairly sure that any decrease in reader sales is likely more the saturation of the target market, rather than a decrease in desirability.

Then again maybe that's just me with my desire for dumb-phones and non-mobile hardware. To keep life simple with distinct areas of work, play and disconnection.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #28
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
There may be truth in what the article says. It is almost a no brainer, if given a choice of having a dedicated book reader or a tablet that can be a reader and also do much more with the cost of tablets getting cheaper. I know there have been roaring debates on this forum about this subject. But in my view if money is tight the better bang for the buck would be the tablet to read on. Tho the dedicated eBook reader probably will always have its place. The tablet is the next huge thing no mater where people live and internet connectivity spreads. A tablet is sorta like a Swiss army knife that you can read books on, but also does much more that just being a reader.
I actually prefer having an e-reader and a smartphone to having a tablet. I don't watch many movies or play a lot of games, but do I read a lot and like having access to maps and information wherever I go (and a phone is a lot easier to port around in a purse or pocket than a tablet). In a pinch (i.e. in the dark or when I don't want to carry a lot) the phone can double as an e-reader as well.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #29
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I seem to remember predicting the immense rise in ebook sales some years ago - maybe some of the book publishers should have hired me!
The growth will probably level off as sales start to reach a level of consumption that will sustain over a longer period - but p-books will continue to steadily decline over many years. Don't forget there was still a market for luxury bound books for many years after the advent of the paperback (and probably still is).
As for readers, I agree that reading on a larger tablet is uncomfortable, but the smaller 7" tablets are another thing. My Google Nexus 7 is about the same weight as my ereader. The e-ink ereader wins hands down in bright light and for long trips (low battery use is a big advantage!), but I often use the small tablet for reading in bed or in poor light when I am too lazy or tired to get a reading light. The e-ink screen is definitely better on my eyes and this type of reader never suffers from overheating (probably not an issue where you don't get 40degC days a lot!) Roll on colour e-ink tablets!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #30
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
The reduction is in the percentage of readers not the amount of reading being done. As in, older readers die and the number of yousters picking up the habit is less than the ones that die.

But the percentage drop measured is lower than the accuracy of the poll so the reduction might not be a reflection of reality, just a fluctuation in the sample of people polled. So nothing significant can or should be read into that even though a lot of sources have been taking the numbers at face value.
I was prepared to make the same comment, but the study appears to contradict this notion with the chart on page 9. I find their chosen time periods odd (why compare reading habits over only 3 months?), but they claim that reading is down, as well.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook readers, forbes