Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #12976
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Tales of Ethshar by Lawrence Watt-Evans.
A splendid collection of fantasy short stories set in the Ethshar universe.

Next:The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #12977
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Today was a continuation of yard work, so I plugged in to audiobooks. I loved it so much the first time I just had to listen again while mowing and pulling weeds - The Importance of Being Earnest Performance.

Then another freebie from Audible that was announced in our Deals forum - Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye: Psychic Eye Mysteries by Victoria Lane - I'm 2/3 the way through and found it was perfect to listen to while mindlessly pulling weeds and cleaning the pond.
Spoiler:
Book Description
In Royal Oak, a suburb of Detroit, Abby Cooper lives a life that's kind of like vanilla ice cream - good enough, but a little bland. Her work as a P.I. - Psychic Intuitive - can be rewarding, but she feels like she's missing out on something. Now she's getting what she wished for - when a client winds up dead and the clues start pointing in Abby's direction. Turns out she knows too much about the murder for her own good ... and the lead investigator for the case is the gorgeous blind date she just met.

Then, while waiting for the pond to fill up, I read Witch Way (Part One) (The Mystic Series) by Heidi Hall - a cute fluff read. This was also a freebie, but I may not have started it, if I had paid attention that it left you hanging. Part 2 continues the story.
Spoiler:

Mayhem has been Roxy Devereaux's constant companion, but she never imagined gun-wielding mummies would invade a company Halloween party and send her running for her life. Adrift and afraid, the sleepy town of Mystic, Oregon calls to her. Yet, in this secluded coastal community, nothing is as it appears.

Somehow, the locals know her. They expected her arrival. They believe she has powers that are beyond belief. As her past is revealed, Roxy must make a decision - stay and accept her birthright, or leave the haven of Mystic behind.

Now back to The Buried Pyramid by Jane Lindskold - again a freebie from Tor posted in our Deals forum (I think it is still free) - I haven't read very much, so I'm hoping it gets better.
Spoiler:
Set in the Victorian age, The Buried Pyramid is, at the start, an archaeological suspense novel. Jenny Benet, a recently orphaned American who was raised in the Wild West before being “finished” in Boston, goes to Egypt with her uncle, Neville Hawthorne, a prominent British archaeologist. They’re searching for the legendary Buried Pyramid, the tomb of the pharaoh Neferankhotep—who may also have been Moses the Lawgiver.

Discovering the tomb is not the end of their journey but only the beginning. In The Buried Pyramid, Jane Lindskold sends us on a marvelous ride through Ancient Egyptian myth, legend, and religion and leaves us enlightened and amazed.

Last edited by dreams; 04-22-2012 at 02:28 AM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #12978
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

To calm down, I'll read a nice psychopathic murder mystery Bruno, Chief of Police by Martin Walker.
This one was OK. It turned out to be a cozy mystery with romance. Very slow start. Some elements were not too credible. However, the ending was unexpected because of a late discovery. Not sure whether the discovery was real or fictional but it was a surprise. I'm not familiar with French history during the Vichy Regime which made it all the more shocking to me, if true. Gave it a C- [3 stars] for the ending and novel length.

Spoiler:
Did the Vichy govt really murder, rape and pillage Resistance villages?

Continuing on the French theme (sort of), I'll start His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik next.

Last edited by Fbone; 04-22-2012 at 04:26 AM. Reason: corrected author's name
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:17 AM   #12979
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Continuing on the French theme (sort of), I'll start His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novak next.
I read that 18 months ago. I really liked it, and the others in the series have been on my wish list since then, waiting for a good offer. Hmm... I see the second in the series is £2.99 now. If my TBR pile wasn't so long, I think I'd go for that. Perhaps in 2013 if I make my target for 2012.

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-22-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #12980
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
I read that 18 months ago. I really liked it, and the others in the series have been on my wish list since then, waiting for a good offer. Hmm... I see the second in the series is £2.99 now. If my TBR pile wasn't so long, I think I'd go for that. Perhaps in 2013 if I make my target for 2012.
They are available through Overdrive if your library offers it.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #12981
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm reading Colours in the Steel—the first book in K. J. Parker's THE FENCER TRILOGY. It hooked me early and hard... just as every Parker book has so far.

Just one example of the analogous/allegorical penchant that makes me love K. J. Parker's writing.

Quote:
... Curious, the way a hot flame and lukewarm water can turn a soft, malleable piece of steel into a hard cutting edge. Not for the first time, he wondered why it worked.

They had known the answer back home. Steel is like the human heart, they said. To make a man hard enough to be useful, first you must heat him up with the fires of anger and cool him immediately in the quenching bath of fear and the awareness of his own weakness; for metal quench in brine, for men, in tears. This is only the first stage; this makes a man hard but also brittle, and as such no use as a tool, or a weapon. Now he must be heated again in the slow, careful fire of deliberate hatred, and quenched a second time in salt water; it’s the second process that makes him useful, able to cut and inflict wounds but unlikely to shatter. Only men of a good temper are useful to the gods of the clan.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #12982
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer and it was extraordinarily interesting. It's the account of Chris McCandless's attempt to live in the Alaskan wilderness. Very insightful and thought provoking.

Last edited by MickeyC; 04-22-2012 at 08:58 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #12983
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Pouring rain all day - so I read Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon - the first book of the Guido Brunetti series - FINALLY available as an ebook! Not too hard to figure out who done it, but the Venetian setting & history are delightful. Will give this series a try! Brunetti is the kind of detective I call "kind, compassionate, decent man in the midst of corruption/temptation" - like Maigret, Alleyn, Gamache.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #12984
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Just finished Uncle Tom's Cabin and Journey to the West (more widely known as "Monkey: a folk-tale of China"). Now I'm reading The Grapes of Wrath (still) and just began Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #12985
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King
It was pretty good. I'm a little unconvinced by the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes interactions. I won't be buying the rest unless they're on very special offer.

Next: The Dark Place by Aaron Elkins

One of the books I bought in the recent 60% off Fictionwise sale.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #12986
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Currently reading an Edgar Wallace - The Man Who Knew, and rather wishing PG hadn't used the US version; it just seems very discordant to have someone walking down a London street wearing a 'mustache' or writing 'checks' in a London bank. Bizarrely, the previous book I read - 'The Princess of the School' - was also an US version, full of jolly hockey sticks English schoolgirls also talking about 'mustaches'.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #12987
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
... and just began Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay.
I really enjoyed that one, I hope that you do too. I think my next read will be Guy Gavriel Kay.

I'm reading "The Prince of Mist" by Zafon. I'm about a third of the way through it - it's great. Creepy as all heck to read before bedtime, though - but then again, I'm a bit of a wuss!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #12988
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
The Dark Place by Aaron Elkins
Well, that was a fun, quick read. Some plausible-sounding analysis of bones, and a fascinating situation. Straight on to number 3:

Murder in the Queen's Armes by Aaron Elkins
Old 04-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #12989
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finished A Dance with Dragons 1: Dreams and Dust by George R. R. Martin - the first half of the split UK paperback edition of ADwD, and I've started Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov as a change of pace before the second part.

I read Foundation back in January, and I need to read the whole original trilogy before I'm ready for Foundation's Edge, which won a Hugo. The latter half of Foundation and Empire also won a Retro Hugo. Including those two, I have fifteen Hugo winners left to read. Until they give away the next one, in August/September.
DrNefario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #12990
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony PRS 300
After years of purposefully avoiding the series, I've started and finished all 7 of the Harry Potter books in about 6 weeks. My kid got a box set for Christmas and convinced me to finally take the plunge when he was home for Spring Break. I read the first 3 in pbook format and then the last 4 on my iPhone 4 as downloads from my local library.

Reading them as quickly as I did gave me an appreciation for the continuity and attention to detail that Rowling put into the series. I'm partial to epic "Good vs Evil" tales (King's "The Stand" is a Top 5 favorite), so HP scratched that itch.

While I am not ready to go buy a Hogwarts cloak or a copy of Harry's wand, I do have an appreciation now of why my kids and their friends would be at B&N at midnight for each new book.
Illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote