Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: July 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien 17 13.08%
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik 13 10.00%
The Deed of Paksenarrion: The Sheepfarmer's Daughter (book 1) by Elizabeth Moon 24 18.46%
Magic Kingdom For Sale — Sold! by Terry Brooks 6 4.62%
American Gods by Neil Gaiman 22 16.92%
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll 8 6.15%
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift 5 3.85%
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien 8 6.15%
The Princess Bride by William Goldman 11 8.46%
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin 16 12.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
...and WOW! A Game of Thrones is 700 pages... a might less than LotR at 1200 pages of course.

so... I might be voting by the process of elimination here.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Dallas Alice...sounds good....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The Deed of Paksenarrion is not available in the Kindle store. Is this available some where as an ebook?

BOb
If it's not available as an eBook, does this mean the vote has to be canceled and the nomination back on till we get one more third?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If it's not available as an eBook, does this mean the vote has to be canceled and the nomination back on till we get one more third?
Hmm... good question... but I didn't use my nominations so I would just pick one of those that had two noms already. However, I really loath to change the poll after people start voting.

BOb
Old 06-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm... good question... but I didn't use my nominations so I would just pick one of those that had two noms already. However, I really loath to change the poll after people start voting.

BOb
It is an eBook. http://www.webscription.net/p-100-th...senarrion.aspx But we have a problem. The Deed of Paksenarrion is not a single book but an omnibus. So it doesn't count. The listing and the people who seconded/thirded it may not know it's an invalid nomination.

Deed of Paksenarrion
1. The Sheepfarmer's Daughter (1988)
2. Divided Allegiance (1988)
3. Oath of Gold (1988)
The Deed of Paksenarrion (omnibus) (1992)
Old 06-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #21
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
The Deed of Paksenarrion is not available in the Kindle store. Is this available some where as an ebook?

BOb
I found it on Amazon for the Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Deed-of-Pa...A12MGAGPLUJEQK
It says, though, that the title will be released on July 1st.

It is on Baen to be read online:
http://www.webscription.net/chapters...0743471601.htm

Edit:
JSWolf was faster
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It is an eBook. http://www.webscription.net/p-100-th...senarrion.aspx But we have a problem. The Deed of Paksenarrion is not a single book but an omnibus. So it doesn't count. The listing and the people who seconded/thirded it may not know it's an invalid nomination.

Deed of Paksenarrion
3. Oath of Gold (1988)
Why don't we just say Book One? I will amend it in the poll.

Those that want to read on can.

BOb
Old 06-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #23
Kore
Enthusiast
Kore began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Game of Thrones. It's my husband's favorite series. Also, HBO is filming the show at the end of this month...
Kore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Why don't we just say Book One? I will amend it in the poll.

Those that want to read on can.

BOb
That works. Good idea. By the way, can you take away the vote for it since it was voted on before it was fixed?
Old 06-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #25
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Deed of Paksenarrion
3. Oath of Gold (1988)
Jon, has there every been a monthly book poll where you didn't object to something?

Also do you ever actually read the winning book?

Curious minds are asking?
Old 06-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That works. Good idea. By the way, can you take away the vote for it since it was voted on before it was fixed?
I can change the vote numbers. But, I can't give that person their vote back. I don't see why they wouldn't still want to vote for it.

BOb
Old 06-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #27
darthjoey
Enthusiast
darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 - International
The Princess Bride is excellent. I'm currently in the middle of rereading it. So I voted for it. The Hobbit is my next choice.
darthjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I can change the vote numbers. But, I can't give that person their vote back. I don't see why they wouldn't still want to vote for it.

BOb
Maybe that person doesn't want to read it knowing it's a trilogy instead of just a stand alone book.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Ok... so I have narrowed it to three...

The Deed of Paksenarrion, His Magesty's Dragon and American Gods.

I'm leaning towards the first since it is available DRM free from webscriptions. But, I did just "buy" His Magesty's dragon for free from the Kindle store.

Decisions, decisions... I'm hoping for an excellent book this month. The last two month's were a bit disappointing.

BOb
Old 06-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #30
kennyc

Quote:

Decisions, decisions... I'm hoping for an excellent book this month. The last two month's were a bit disappointing.

BOb

I'm with you there....