Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #271
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Here is an example of a book that does have hard-coded fonts:

Maid for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, Book 1) by Marie Force.
Thanks for the link. Who would have thought there are published authors in tiny little RI!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #272
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Thanks for the link. Who would have thought there are published authors in tiny little RI!!
Careful, if you like the free one, you might end up getting the rest of them. And after that the other series she wrote, and then the single books. If I had known that before loading it on my wifes PW, I might have skipped that book. Already had to buy and load book 2 - 7 (with 8 on preorder) and get her another series ( the Fatal one ). And pretty soon I will have to get more of the books for my wife.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #273
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
It's a highly recommended series and check Overdrive for her books. I know READS carries the series.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #274
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Careful, if you like the free one, you might end up getting the rest of them. And after that the other series she wrote, and then the single books. If I had known that before loading it on my wifes PW, I might have skipped that book. Already had to buy and load book 2 - 7 (with 8 on preorder) and get her another series ( the Fatal one ). And pretty soon I will have to get more of the books for my wife.
Marie Force is a very good writer. You should be happy she is reading. I can't get my hubby to even look at a Kindle.

You should send her over to our monthly Romance Deals and Freebies thread. She will find plenty to read.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-27-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #275
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Marie Force is a very good writer. You should be happy she is reading. I can't get my hubby to even look at a Kindle.

You should send her over to our monthly Romance Deals and Freebies thread. She will find plenty to read.
Thank you, I will check that out. And I am happy she is reading, I just wish we could find books that we can both read, so that we don't have mine and hers books.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #276
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Thank you, I will check that out. And I am happy she is reading, I just wish we could find books that we can both read, so that we don't have mine and hers books.
Give you wife her own account then she can read whatever she wants and it wont clutter up your archive. Overdrive Libraries are good place to find lots of romances free for reading for her Kindle.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #277
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
That's how they get you: first book free and you're hooked. Though I won't complain.., happy to support this type of sales model. The series I am currently reading came with the first book free, and I practically inhaled that book and started book 2 right after, with three already borrowed and fourth preordered...
Mad for love is at the very end of my TBR, but I may push it up a bit after hearing how great it is. Oh boy.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #278
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Here's a interesting tidbit.

The regular Caecilia and Condensed version of Caecilia are the same font. I loaded then up in Word and there is no different between the two. they are the exact same size. So the Kindle must use some sort of special settings to get it to display differently.

So I took Caecilia Condensed and Scaled it down 5 percent and now it comes pretty close to displaying like the default version. Line spacing is off but I always though the default line spacing was too much. I didn't change any metrics. Just added weight and scaled 5%.

I really like reading with it. I added a screenshot of the two. Original one left and modified version on the right at size 5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	100194  
Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #279
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaTensai View Post
Hi JSWolf. I downloaded your Charis SIL normal and compact and they seem the same on my paperwhite. I don't know... maybe I got the old versions? Anyway, I look forward to the updated versions, I love the Charis SIL that you released earlier in this thread!
I've released a few different versions of Charis SIL. They all have different internal naming but the same filenames. All you have to do is rename the files but in a way that keeps them the same. For example...

CharisSILR.ttf > CharisSILCompactR.ttf
CharisSILI.ttf > CharisSILICompactI.ttf

CharisSILR.ttf > CharisSILModifiedR.ttf
CharisSILI.ttf > CharisSILIModifiedI.ttf

Those sorts of renames work and would keep things sorted. I've kept the names the same so if someone was using a version of Charis SIL and wanted to replace them with a different version, depending on the Reader and how they are being used, it would be just a simple copy over the existing ones and all is well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #280
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Some KF8 have the font hard-coded into the book. Very annoying. One way to get rid of that is to run it through Calibre with a mobi to mobi conversion and select ignore font settings (font filter or somesuch). Converting to old mobi format should also work. Of course, to do any of that you had to free the book of its DRM.
Don't do that. It's not a Mobi > Mobi conversion. It's a KF8 > Mobi conversion and that's a very bad idea. If you can strip the DRM, you can use Tweak Book in Calibre to get access to the CSS and OPF to remove the fonts as well as being able to delete the fonts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #281
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
I've tried a lot of different fonts on my Paperwhite since I found out how to use the USE_ALT_FONTS about a month ago. Based on how I keep returning to it, I think I've settled on an edited version of Lusitana at 12 points.

I've poked at it a lot--but mainly I condensed it, replaced the quotation marks and apostrophes with glyphs from another font (personal preference), and used letters from a more decorative font for italic characters (I wasn't satisfied with the auto-italic).

I like it. Regardless, I'm so glad we can tweak our fonts! I hated being locked into a few font choices on my previous e-reader. Having 12 of my own choosing is much better
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_01_27T22_50_49-0500.png
Views:	332
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	100195  

Last edited by 7hir7een; 01-27-2013 at 11:11 PM.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #282
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post

I like it. Regardless, I'm so glad we can tweak our fonts! I hated being locked into a few font choices on my previous e-reader. Having 12 of my own choosing is much better
Me too! It makes the PW the perfect Kindle!

12 fonts? How do you change your margins and line spacing settings? Mine cut off after 10 fonts.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #283
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Me too! It makes the PW the perfect Kindle!

12 fonts? How do you change your margins and line spacing settings? Mine cut off after 10 fonts.
I removed the extra (Asian?) fonts that pop up with USE_ALT_FONTS using the method RogueLeader mentioned. I never used them and didn't want them taking up the space.

However, you have to be at least somewhat comfortable poking at the file innards of your Kindle to do it

ETA: If you meant the actual reader part, the margins are courtesy of JBPatch, and I didn't tweak line spacing
Old 01-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #284
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
I removed the extra (Asian?) fonts that pop up with USE_ALT_FONTS using the method RogueLeader mentioned. I never used them and didn't want them taking up the space.

However, you have to be at least somewhat comfortable poking at the file innards of your Kindle to do it

ETA: If you meant the actual reader part, the margins are courtesy of JBPatch, and I didn't tweak line spacing
I'm guessing you have to use jailbreak. Ah well.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #285
7hir7een
Reader of Books

Quote:
I'm guessing you have to use jailbreak. Ah well.
Ah, yes. That is required for everything I mentioned, unfortunately. I gave in early to the allure of the jailbreak. Too many nifty little hacks tempting me