Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #256
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest you get Type Lite and fix the line spacing. That looks awful. The line spacing is huge. I suggest you take all the fonts you plan on using with KF8 and make them the same line spacing. I used 1650/-800 in the Charis SIL Modified.
That's on purpose
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:48 AM   #257
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
only comment that I had problems with line spacing of Verdana, in Mobi the change made ​​in FontCreator not showed.

Well, When I decrease the font size, line spacing has increased and looks much better.

Thank you.
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #258
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Monday or Tuesday I am going to make a new version of the Charis SIL Comact font, bundle it with the modified Charis SIL and release it to MR readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #259
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
^ Look forward to trying them out on my paperwhite which should arrive in a few days.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #260
BakaTensai
BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BakaTensai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Monday or Tuesday I am going to make a new version of the Charis SIL Comact font, bundle it with the modified Charis SIL and release it to MR readers.
Hi JSWolf. I downloaded your Charis SIL normal and compact and they seem the same on my paperwhite. I don't know... maybe I got the old versions? Anyway, I look forward to the updated versions, I love the Charis SIL that you released earlier in this thread!
BakaTensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #261
Bob B
Connoisseur
Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I am using a Touch with firmware 5.3.2 and Use_Alt_Fonts. I notice on some books choosing a different font does not have any effect. Is the font locked on some books? Seems strange to think so. I know the alternate fonts do work because I tested them using the dictionary and the fonts do change. Thanks.
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #262
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
I am using a Touch with firmware 5.3.2 and Use_Alt_Fonts. I notice on some books choosing a different font does not have any effect. Is the font locked on some books? Seems strange to think so. I know the alternate fonts do work because I tested them using the dictionary and the fonts do change. Thanks.
Some KF8 have the font hard-coded into the book. Very annoying. One way to get rid of that is to run it through Calibre with a mobi to mobi conversion and select ignore font settings (font filter or somesuch). Converting to old mobi format should also work. Of course, to do any of that you had to free the book of its DRM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #263
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the Aa menu, there should be an option to turn publisher fonts on/off if the book in question has embedded fonts.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #264
Bob B
Connoisseur
Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post
In the Aa menu, there should be an option to turn publisher fonts on/off if the book in question has embedded fonts.
I don't see that.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #265
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

I did a google search and there seems to be a problem with some KF8 books with regard to fonts:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x2G1PHHNL8Z1E4
Old 01-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #266
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There is an option, if the book merely has an embedded font. That works for books that are done correctly. The books that hardcode the font do that every time there is a new chapter, a new paragraph, anything. They don't ask for normal or italic, but they ask for a specific font by name.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #267
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Here is an example of a book that does have hard-coded fonts:

Maid for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, Book 1) by Marie Force

It is free in the US store, and does not even have an embedded font, but has hard-coded font. I believe the whole series is like that (up until book 7, book 8 is not out yet).
Old 01-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #268
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Thanks. That'll be interesting to dissect.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #269
Bob B
Connoisseur

Quote:
I did a google search and there seems to be a problem with some KF8 books with regard to fonts:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x2G1PHHNL8Z1E4
Thanks J-J. Informative thread. In fact, it mentions the book I am reading - Michael Connelly's The Poet. Appears to be a format issue with the book itself. Not a big deal. The embedded font is perfectly readable. Just wanted to understand what was going on. Thanks for the replies J-J and Ducky.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #270
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Here is an example of a book that does have hard-coded fonts:

Maid for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, Book 1) by Marie Force

It is free in the US store, and does not even have an embedded font, but has hard-coded font. I believe the whole series is like that (up until book 7, book 8 is not out yet).
Had a look at the stylesheet and Times New Roman is used on virtually every selector. No embedded font as you said. That is very annoying. Strange that that would cause a problem like this though- well, strange to me at least. Thanks again.

Quote:
Thanks J-J. Informative thread. In fact, it mentions the book I am reading - Michael Connelly's The Poet. Appears to be a format issue with the book itself. Not a big deal. The embedded font is perfectly readable. Just wanted to understand what was going on. Thanks for the replies J-J and Ducky.
You're welcome.