Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark
mrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to behold

Device: Asus Transformer Prime, Sony PRS-T1, HTC Sensation
Cool New Homescreen (0.0.0.7-alpha)

Okay : here is an updated version of my new homescreen

This is still alpha and I've posted it more to show people what I mean and get feedback, please leave comments on how I can improve it.

please see the google code project wiki for a roadmap document which documents which release had which features.

downloads have now moved to my google code project page:

http://code.google.com/p/sonyprst1home/

enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20111114080029.png
Views:	7749
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	78950   Click image for larger version

Name:	20111114080115.png
Views:	5451
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	78951   Click image for larger version

Name:	20111114080135.png
Views:	5466
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	78952   Click image for larger version

Name:	20111114080156.png
Views:	5911
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	78953   Click image for larger version

Name:	20111123125307.png
Views:	6346
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	79284   Click image for larger version

Name:	20111123125344.png
Views:	4321
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	79285  

Last edited by mrspaceman; 12-09-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: New website available
mrspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'd like one, please.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark
mrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to behold

Any features you'd like to see?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
So, you are looking into writing your own Launcher? That would be great. Perhaps you can take a look at ReLaunch, see if you can use some of its ideas? It's an open source project. The GUI in ReLaunch is a bit rough, but I like the idea of being able to associate file types with application targets, and change those associations.

The Sony's launcher is not bad, looks very nice, but it's limited to all things Sony. No access to Android Settings, no "Add Drawer", no support for ebook file types other than the ones already supported by Sony (epub, rtf, txt).

Basically, my ideal launcher would look like Sony, but with access to those extra features, i.e. App Drawer, File Manager, book type selection...
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark

okay, I;m thinking of keeping the home screen very close to Sony's. but having a horizontal scrolling "currently reading" list and allowing you to choose 1 (or 2) collections to show in horizontal scrolling lists below that.

oh, and thanks for the effort in rooting the device, without that it wouldn't be possible to replace the homescreen.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
I like the idea.
It would be nice, if one could see a clock on the home screen.
I'd really like to get rid of the Periodicals and ReaderStore buttons.

Thank you.
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark

okay, my intention is this:

Fix my root installation (su seg faults at the moment)
find the sony reader home app
decompile it
work work out what it does
recreate much of the functionality (indexing the books etc...)
customise it to whatever we want.

I don't think a clock would be a great idea as the page refresh's would kill the battery life, but I'll have a think (maybe update once per minute or so...)
Old 11-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
The clock wouldn't have to kill the battery. I thought of it like the one in PRS+, there is no screen refresh for the clock, but if you refresh the screen, you get the correct time.
I agree refreshing the screen for the clock would be bad, if the screen suddenly flashed with no apparent cause... I think I would be spooked
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
jbuk
jbuk doesn't litterjbuk doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
I like the idea of being able to associate file types with application targets, and change those associations.
Ideally I´d like association with individual files, as well as defaults for file types. On PDFs particularly there might be one reader that can deal with multicolumn files well, another that can crop well, another that´s best for reflow etc. It would be tap to use default, add an ´open with´ option to the long tap dialogue box, and that selection becomes associated with the file. Although I have zero programming experience (I don´t think a week of Fortran counts), so feel free to tell me to bugger off.
jbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspaceman View Post
Fix my root installation (su seg faults at the moment)
Looks like you got a pretty obsolete root installation. The current one shoulda fixed that problem for you. Just make sure you install the rescue set first.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:08 AM   #11
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark

okay progress so far:

I've got superuser working (yep, I was out of date)
adb now works (this means I debug my code directly on the prs-t1)
I've grabbed Sony's home app and am working out how to decompile it.

I'll try to post some screen shots as soon as I have something to show.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark

okay, screenshots will be a bit more difficult. DDMS screenshots won't work, guess I'll need to try a few apps to do them.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #13
porkupan
Fanatic

ScreenshotIt works fine.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #14
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark

yep, screenshotit has worked well.
now just got to get it working a bit better and upload a few shots.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #15
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark

this is what I have so far:

screenshot now attached

the first row is your currently reading (going back 31 days)
second row is all of the books in a collection
third row is another collection

collections to display will be user configurable, as will the number of days to display for currently reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20111107064035.png
Views:	3041
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	78720  

Last edited by mrspaceman; 11-07-2011 at 08:07 AM.