Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
stsrep
stsrep began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can someone tell me...?

I currently own a 3G Nook.
After looking at the upcoming Augen reader I placed a preorder for one since it's a color screen etc and was extremely low priced.
Can I order books from B&N and all of the others and use the Augen?
Hell,I'm confused as to what I can buy and read since I will be buying DRM books etc.

Beta>VHS>Laser Disc>DVD>HDDVD>BR>Here we go again.
What the heck works with all of the available sources for books to read on these things????
Thanks in advance for responding.
stsrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
If the Augen supports epub AND if you hang onto your B&N account AND you're willing to remove DRM, THEN everything is just fine...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Augen supports Adobe ePub. It most likely does not support B&N's passworded ePubs (Adobe software includes this, but most vendors don't implement it).

So, as jgaiser says, you will need to strip the B&N DRM to read B&N ePubs on the Augen. For B&N eReader ebooks (which seem to be rare now) you will in addition need to convert to ePub via Calibre after stripping the DRM.

Note that in the US, it is probably legal to strip DRM from ebooks you bought if you do so for your own personal use. This has never been tested in court, but as a practical matter who would know and why would they care?

If you have ePubs with Adobe DRM, they should work "as is" on the Augen.

Last edited by wallcraft; 07-07-2010 at 12:18 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Check here for more detailed information on ereaders and formats:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Just popping in to say hello, Stsrep. Good to have your new company here. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Is the Augen backlit? I've been looking for something so I can read at night with the lights off, without using a booklight.

I just got an iphone 4 and tried it with Stanza, but it is unusable when reading in bed. The accelermeter keeps flipping the book view to the wrong orientation and can't be turned off. What crappy design.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
stsrep

I haven't received the Augen yet but it's LCD so it is backlit.
I might cancel my order however since I'm till not sure if I can buy books from B&N,Amazon,etc and read them on the Augen.
I don't want to go thru the backdoor and strip DRM etc in order to read anything I've purchased seems so stupid if the technology is going to be user friendly.
I don't know if this ereader will allow me to read purchase media or not.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsrep View Post
I haven't received the Augen yet but it's LCD so it is backlit.
I might cancel my order however since I'm till not sure if I can buy books from B&N,Amazon,etc and read them on the Augen.
I don't want to go thru the backdoor and strip DRM etc in order to read anything I've purchased seems so stupid if the technology is going to be user friendly.
I don't know if this ereader will allow me to read purchase media or not.
Prob. not if you plan on purchasing most of your books fron B&N. But there are plenty of other ebook sellers that sell adobe Adept DRMed Epubs that should work on the Augen and the Nook.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #9
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I pre-ordered this. I'd love a backlit reader for night-time when a light is an inconvenience.

I've been using my new iphone but the size of the screen leaves a lot to be desired. And I can't figure out a way to disable the accelerometer in iBooks, making it a poor choice for reading in bed. At least I could disable it in Stanza.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
stsrep

As an update I purchased a Pandigital Novel from Bed,Bath,and Beyond last weekend when they got them in stock nationally.
So far so good with it because it will be used as an eReader not an IPad knockoff.These are being hacked on an hourly basis to make it into a slate so it has endless possibilities once you do the hacking.Screen is backlit and so far so good.
I'm probably going to cancel the Augen do to delivery concerns.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Just read the shipping date has been pushed back to August 7th
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
gintzj
Connoisseur
gintzj began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi model
Augen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsrep View Post
I currently own a 3G Nook.
After looking at the upcoming Augen reader I placed a preorder for one since it's a color screen etc and was extremely low priced.
Can I order books from B&N and all of the others and use the Augen?
Hell,I'm confused as to what I can buy and read since I will be buying DRM books etc.

Beta>VHS>Laser Disc>DVD>HDDVD>BR>Here we go again.
What the heck works with all of the available sources for books to read on these things????
Thanks in advance for responding.
I am waiting on my Augen also - it say that you can read from any source, Amazon,Kobo books, B&n Books and many others Sony. go to Heartland site and take a look for youself. Augen should ship on 8/7/10
gintzj is offline   Reply With Quote