Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
gerry7
gerry7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
mobi problem

Hi.I am a new member with a new Kindle. I have downloaded some files with a .mobi extension [from Guttenberg]. I want to transfer them to Kindle but Windows XP says it does not recognise this type of file.
Help please.
gerry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Windows does not need to recognize the file extension. It only needs to recognize the file extension to open the file with a program. Just copy the files to the Kindle. If you want to open the files, either install Kindle for PC, or Mobipocket Reader, and either one of those will associate itself with the .mobi file extension.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry7 View Post
Hi.I am a new member with a new Kindle. I have downloaded some files with a .mobi extension [from Guttenberg]. I want to transfer them to Kindle but Windows XP says it does not recognise this type of file.
Help please.
What is the relevance of whether Windows recognises the type of file? Simply connect the Kindle to your PC via the USB cable, and copy the files into the "documents" folder on the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
gerry7
gerry7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks. Just located this answer. Sorry about duplication.
gerry7 is offline   Reply With Quote