Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-05-2009, 02:01 AM   #16
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

(That was the closest thing to "raising my hand" in agreement that I could find...)
I also agree; I much prefer left rather than full justification with the short lines on a reader's screen. That doesn't mean I disagree with tompe's point, though -- hyphenation adds to readability (I don't like my right too ragged).

Still, even on the Kindle -- without any justification -- I prefer ragged right to the large gaps between words often seen with full justification, especially at the moderately large font size I tend to use.

Last edited by bwaldron; 06-05-2009 at 02:03 AM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
jgilliam1955
jgilliam1955 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Wow looks very clean. NICE!
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #18
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I don't know anything about the fine art of fonts but I had a similar experience.

I've found Topaz format books difficult to read in the past and avoided them.

A few weeks ago, I started reading a book that I'd bought without checking the sample because I knew the author. I immediately realized it wasn't the default Kindle font but much to surprise it didn't interfere my ability to read at all.

Checking the extensions later, I was pleasantly surprised to find it was the (previously) dreaded Topaz format but clearly whatever was done had made it as easy on the eyes as other Kindle books.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #19
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Checking the extensions later, I was pleasantly surprised to find it was the (previously) dreaded Topaz format but clearly whatever was done had made it as easy on the eyes as other Kindle books.
That's good to hear. The one Topaz book I bought (carelessly) wasn't done well at all. (Then again, some of the AZW format books I have purchased have their own problems.)

However, even if they're doing a better job with them these days, I still won't purchase a format that I cannot strip DRM from. But that's just my own "problem."
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
However, even if they're doing a better job with them these days, I still won't purchase a format that I cannot strip DRM from. But that's just my own "problem."
I have the same "problem".
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here is an example of a bad font used in a Topaz eBook. Notice how the rounded portions of letters like "p", "b", "d", etc. virtually become invisible making it a very difficult font to read on a Kindle2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-4816.gif
Views:	244
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	30567  
Old 06-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #22
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Yeah, definitely a bit more like it normally is. I have a book by Thomas Merton that is nigh unreadable at times.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote