Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Create a collection

So far I've been able to make books for the Sony reader.

Now I'm doing the unfinished works of a writer, who died before he was able to publish his works.

Many bookstores sell his works in a collection,kind of like bound together.

I know in the sony there is 'collections' too, Ijust don't see how to create one.

anyone has an idea how to?

Thanks!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
So far I've been able to make books for the Sony reader.

Now I'm doing the unfinished works of a writer, who died before he was able to publish his works.

Many bookstores sell his works in a collection,kind of like bound together.

I know in the sony there is 'collections' too, Ijust don't see how to create one.

Thanks!

Open the Sony's ebook Library.

At the very bottom left of your computer screen there is a plus sign (+). Clicking on that will allow you to create a collection with a name of your choosing.

If you have your Sony synched (as I do ) -- but many Sony owners don't care for this feature! -- then the collection Title and the books in it will be copied over to your Reader when you plug it into your computer.

Your Title can be anything of your choosing: an author's works or even a genre title if you read many books in a specific genre and like to keep them organized (as I do).

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
If you use Calibre it's even simpler. Any series info is automatically translated into a collection on the reader. Also you can add tags to ebooks which Calibre turns into collections as well.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post

Thanks!
The collection on the Sony is sort of like an iTunes playlist... it isn't part of the book file itself... it is part of the device/config.

If you want to create a "collection" of stories, sort of like an Omnibus in a single book/file then just create a TOC that points to the start of each book.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Thanks for the replies!

So I'm safe creating books the way I do now,
A collection is more like 'a playlist' so to speak,no?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2008, 02:05 AM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
If you have your Sony synched (as I do ) -- but many Sony owners don't care for this feature! -- then the collection Title and the books in it will be copied over to your Reader when you plug it into your computer.
Sadly, if you already have the book there, it just copies it there again. Believe me, I just did it with far too many books. So annoying!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Collections are similar to playlists.

For example, I have a collection called "Reading List" which has the fiction novels on my Reader in the order I plan to read them. I also have a "Writing Books" collection that lists the books on my Reader about writing styles/fiction,etc. Then I have my "Warcraft" collection and "Dragonlance" collection for some of my faves so I have them in the correct chronological reading order.
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:13 AM   #8
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Hello there,

Anyone knows if it is possible to link a file to a collection straight from the properties menu or the like? I dump my books straight into the 505 without using Calibre or the Ebook Library and that is the only thing missing.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #9
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader & Aluratek Libre Touch
People scattered all over the mobileread Sony forums have mentioned the problem of Sony's "current cataloguing system."

It's the biggest frustration I have with using my PRS 505.

While I have about 1200 books, in three or four formats, on my hard drive, I only put about 50 at a time on my 2 gig card because I can't possible waste hours, if not days, sorting them into the "Collections." But they become lost without some kind of organization if I put on too many. I actually want to buy an 8 gig card now on sale at Office Max, but why bother when I can't even get the mileage out of the 2 gigger....

Does anyone know a way or hack to just be able to copy and paste a Windows folder into the 505? I have all my books sorted on my hard drive in folders named as you'd expect: American Literature, English, French, Asian, German, Etc...

Lack of a decent cataloguing or importing system really keeps me from putting all my books on the PRS 505 and, actually, from really get the most out of the device.

The Calibre softeware has the same limitation. I installed and then deleted it since I discovered I'd have to do all the same sorting and then end up with huge single file on Calibre with all the books dumped into it.

I've ALREADY sorted my books on my hard drive during the last decade. I just want a copy and paste! NOT sort them again! ...which would take days, if not weeks to re-do.

Also, I think it's a valid question to ask why does Sony makes it possible to have several formats and disk space up to 16 Gigs, when it's impossible to really use it! Many people here on mobileread seem to be dealing with the problem by ONLY putting a relatively few books on it at a time. Which means we constantly have to switch books in and out to be able to find them in a usualable way.

I bought my Sony Reader last March and have been hoping Sony would fix this particular problem but they just don't seem to care!

If anyone knows a hack around the collection problem, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks.

Fred
fglaysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Open the Sony's ebook Library.

At the very bottom left of your computer screen there is a plus sign (+). Clicking on that will allow you to create a collection with a name of your choosing.

Your Title can be anything of your choosing: an author's works or even a genre title if you read many books in a specific genre and like to keep them organized (as I do).

Don
Hey Dr D, thanks for the tip. Hadn't thought to do this. But, thanks to you, I just cheerfully created a bunch of collections including 'Trashy Detective Novels' , one of my favorite genres
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #11
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fglaysher View Post
Lack of a decent cataloguing or importing system really keeps me from putting all my books on the PRS 505 and, actually, from really get the most out of the device.
You're not the only one.

This is the single most frustrating thing with the Reader. Transferring several gigs of books to the Reader is no problem, but the Reader then tries to index them all at once, and of course, with any decently sized personal library (or even a non-decently sized one), this can and does take hours upon hours. You get to stare at the Spinning Arrows Of Death. And after it's done, try to browse through the menus...

I have kinda made my peace with it. I usually have 10 - 20 different books on it, and swap in new ones when I need to. I don't like it, but it's not like I can do something about it...
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fglaysher View Post
The Calibre softeware has the same limitation. I installed and then deleted it since I discovered I'd have to do all the same sorting and then end up with huge single file on Calibre with all the books dumped into it.
I'm not sure what you mean. Unless you are using an older version of calibre. The newest version organizes the books in folders by author then by book name.

However, the power or organization is not in the folder system... it is in the metadata. You can apply "Series" and "Tags" to each book. Once you have done this you can navigate the books using the Tags browser. Also, Authors and Publishers are automatically set up as "Tags" too. When you use "send to device" your series and tags will become collections on your Sony reader.

Yes, it will take quite a while to do this. You can make it faster by importing books by your category folders one at a time. Then do a bulk metadata edit and apply the tag(s) to them all at once.

You will also find that tags are more flexible than folders. Folders fit you into a set taxonomy. So, you could do genres which precludes you from knowing if they are read or unread or what publisher they came from. With tags you can tell me all of the Mystery books you have that were published by McMillion. Also, some books aren't so neet. For example, the Daniel Olivaw books by Asimov to me are both Sci-Fi and Mystery.

You could also have a tag "read". Now, you list all your Mysteries for example but you only want to see those not "read". So, you can set the "read" tag with the "negative" and it will show you all the books with the tag "mystery" that is NOT tagged "read". Cool eh?

Once you have all this done you can quick find stuff using the tag browser or just basic searches in the search bar.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hey Dr D, thanks for the tip. Hadn't thought to do this. But, thanks to you, I just cheerfully created a bunch of collections including 'Trashy Detective Novels' , one of my favorite genres
Hahahah....then we like the same thing!

I also like your title. "Trashy Detective Novels," indeed!!

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:39 PM   #14
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hahahah....then we like the same thing!

I also like your title. "Trashy Detective Novels," indeed!!

Thanks again. And have some Karma on me
Old 12-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #15
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

One more question on collections. When you copy a book into a collection, it still remains in the basic Reader Book list. So, I assume you are now taking up twice the space with that one book. Correct?

To get around this, I tried deleting the book from the basic library but quickly realized that also deleted it from the collection.