Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
How many Paperwhite replacements?

How many PW replacements have you received ? Were the issues resolved with the replacement? I will be receiving my 2nd replacement tomorrow (3rd PW total) and if its not right this time I'm asking for a refund as I don't want Amazon banning my acount over this KW issue.

Dennis
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I received two replacements for a total of three PWs. None were good for night reading, which is what I bought it for, so I returned all of them and got a refund. I too was a bit worried about pushing my "account" luck so opted to not try anymore replacements.

BTW, of all the Kindle models I have owned over the years, and that includes all but the K1, this is the first time I returned one for a refund. They need to make a few major changes to this model before releasing the 2nd generation next year. Hopefully they will get rid of the capacitive layer and go back to an IR touch screen. They also need to develop a light strip that spans the whole width of the screen rather than using four LEDs which will ALWAYS cause blotching and shadows.
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

jswinden,

I also bought this unit for night reading but with the colorations, light fonts and font sizing feeling off I'm afraid its a no good unless a miracle occurs on my last replacement. May I ask a question about the refund? When I process the refund should it be on the final replacement or the original PW?

Thanks Dennis
Old 10-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
jswinden,

I also bought this unit for night reading but with the colorations, light fonts and font sizing feeling off I'm afraid its a no good unless a miracle occurs on my last replacement. May I ask a question about the refund? When I process the refund should it be on the final replacement or the original PW?

Thanks Dennis
Good question. I called and let CS sort it out as I wasn't sure how to do that properly what with three orders. Unfortunately CS shanked the refund and almost two weeks later I had to contact them again. I had kept all the emails from Amazon along with all the order numbers and return authorization numbers, so I put all that info in a long email and submitted it along with how dissatisfied I was with their handling of the refund. CS responded within a few hours and I had my refund.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I will be receiving my 2nd replacement tomorrow, for a total of 3 PW's. I'm trying to get one without glowing or black specks at this point. I'm worried the color blotches will be worse though.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
No replacements. My original paperwhite works just fine.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
My original Paperwhite works just fine for me.

Most of the original units shipped as revealed on the voting at the PW page on Amazon have had no problems.

However, it does appear that replacements MAY be other returns re-shipped since most of the threads here indicate the replacements were not better than the originals with the screen defects.

If you do request a replacement, you could contact CS and request that your replacement be inspected first for screen defects before they ship it to you. I don't know if they can honor that kind of request but it doesn't hurt to try.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
No replacements here either - I see no blotches of any color and have had my PW since October 2.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
tmf2
Zealot

I do understand some people are happy and did not need a replacement but maybe I was not clear in posing the question, For people with replacements how many have you received?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Three total PWs, all with color blotches and/or light specks. All returned.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
geekaren
geek
geekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one hand

Device: Oasis (1&2), Voyage, Kindle Touch, iPad Mini 4
I've received 1 replacement.

My original Paperwhite 3g (received last week) had large pink splotches that made the entire left side of the screen noticeably dimmer than the right.

The replacement doesn't have any color splotches, just some spotlighting & shadows along the bottom inch of the screen. Otherwise, the screen seems very even.

I'm planning on keeping the replacement since they all seem to have some shadowing along the bottom. When I move the light setting to one notch *below* the light being noticeable, contrast is good and shadows along the bottom of the screen aren't distracting (to me).
geekaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
jswinden,

May I ask a question about the refund? When I process the refund should it be on the final replacement or the original PW?

Thanks Dennis
I had one multiple replacements situation with Amazon. Customer service told me, all the replacements and refund for same original order showed up altogether, so nothing to worry about it. Basically, original order (has problem) => first replacement (the solution), first replacement => second replacement, .... The last replacement => Refund.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I'm on my 4th PW. I had bought the original and had 2 replacements through Amazon. Then I returned all 3 (received the credit) and bought one from Best Buy. The BB one isn't perfect, but at least it's cheaper since I downgraded from 3G to wifi.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
I went through four and gave up. I decided to stick with my original unit, as its problems were the least bothersome.

All four had the problem of shadowy color blotching to varying degrees. #2 and #3 had bright spots like dust trapped between the screen layers that were extremely distracting. #3 and #4 (and maybe #2?) had super-bright leftmost LED lights. #4 was the worst as far as the coloring. Extremely pink blobbing. It also had very noticeable secondary diamond-patterned shadowing at the bottom worse than the other units. And it appeared to have a scratch on the backside of the topmost screen layer.

Interestingly, they all had different grades of brightness when on the same settings (at least compared to my original, which I kept thoroughout the process). Some also seemed to have sharper text.

On the whole, I'd say the quality control on these is deplorable. Electronic devices shouldn't have such a wide window of variation.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
mngharry
Enthusiast
mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PRS-505
I have received three in total, and am probably giving up now. The first one seems to be the best one except for the fact that it has a pretty noticeable speck of light in the middle of the screen. One other has a pinkish cast to the screen, and one has a light leakage from the left-bottom.

I'd be a happy camper if I got a replacement that had the same screen as my original one, but without the light speck. Maybe I'll be getting a fourth one after all.
mngharry is offline   Reply With Quote