Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
Aleyst
Zealot
Aleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with others

Device: PW (7th Gen), PW (10th Gen)
So, I think I bricked my k4 good and proper

I was trying to restore the firmware so that I could update it.
And everything was going great right up to the last reboot.
Now... Its frozen on the diags screen and it doesn't show up in my computer.
And comes up as unknown device...

Umm. Help?

-----

Edit: Now its just not showing up at all

-----------
Edit 2: Okay so, I got it back into diags, then did all the ssh stuff but when i go to do the reboot, it says server shut down unexpectedly and then freezes on the diags mode, I can't use mfgtool to get it back into main, and i can't exit diags on the kindle itself, it just freezes.

Last edited by Aleyst; 06-22-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Aleyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
What is the VID/PID of that "unknown device"?

It may be in fastboot mode, which does not change the screen. If you set fastboot mode from diags, you should see the diags menu.

You should still be able to boot to other modes using MfgTool.

And you can change your bootmode idme var to main using the fastboot tool, or using diags idme command from SSH.

This is all documented elsewhere (in many posts), and indexed, and summarized in a small guide for beginners. You just need to the in the right places. Start with the master index sticky.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-22-2012 at 10:45 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Aleyst
Zealot
Aleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with others

I can get into fast boot and diags, and also USB device mode, via the diags now. And also the can also ssh in, but no matter what I do, it won't go back to main, so, I'm not sure how to get that working I followed the guide, and can get to the very last reboot with no issues, however as soon as I do that, putty says connection ended blah blah, and I have to put it back into diags mode to get the screen to respond.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleyst View Post
I can get into fast boot and diags, and also USB device mode, via the diags now. And also the can also ssh in, but no matter what I do, it won't go back to main, so, I'm not sure how to get that working I followed the guide, and can get to the very last reboot with no issues, however as soon as I do that, putty says connection ended blah blah, and I have to put it back into diags mode to get the screen to respond.
Many people have successfully debricked a K4, including myself (using the 4.0.1 images that were in the pastebin).

What did you try?

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-22-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Aleyst
Zealot

I followed silver18's guide, put it in fast boot, flashed the kernel that was for my kindle (4.0.1) then booted into diags, copied mm....p1 to kindle via USB device mode, switched to usbnet ssh'd in, did the dd commands in the guide ( but for the version of my kindle obviously) everything displayed the same results as the guide then after I typed reboot into putty in threw a putty fatal error and... Nothing happed, I then have to redo all the magic key stuff to get it back into diags using the tool.

Edit: I'm just going to keep posting in here instead of jumping back and forth between threads, I only posted in the other because I found a situation similar to mine.

Last edited by Aleyst; 06-22-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
geekmaster

Quote:
I followed silver18's guide, put it in fast boot, flashed the kernel that was for my kindle (4.0.1) then booted into diags, copied mm....p1 to kindle via USB device mode, switched to usbnet ssh'd in, did the dd commands in the guide ( but for the version of my kindle obviously) everything displayed the same results as the guide then after I typed reboot into putty in threw a putty fatal error and... Nothing happed, I then have to redo all the magic key stuff to get it back into diags using the tool.

Edit: I'm just going to keep posting in here instead of jumping back and forth between threads, I only posted in the other because I found a situation similar to mine.
Did the images decompress good? I suppose we should add MD5 sums to the pastebin...
Old 06-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Aleyst
Zealot

I believe so, I tried with both the media fire and git brew versions, they both came out the same size, no errors that I saw.

Also I'm using win7 if that makes a difference although I have access to a Ubuntu install if that could make anything work better

Last edited by Aleyst; 06-22-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
I believe so, I tried with both the media fire and git brew versions, they both came out the same size, no errors that I saw.

Also I'm using win7 if that makes a difference although I have access to a Ubuntu install if that could make anything work better
It would be a good idea to try Ubuntu, just in case Win7 makes a difference (especially if it is Win7 x64, which would be a problem for USB driver access).
Old 06-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Aleyst
Zealot

It's 32 bit, but I'll give it a go, but it will have to be later seeing as its 4 am here.
IIRC, I can enable diags and usbnet on Linux fairly easily yes?
Old 06-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
It's 32 bit, but I'll give it a go, but it will have to be later seeing as its 4 am here.
IIRC, I can enable diags and usbnet on Linux fairly easily yes?
I use an ubuntu host PC, and an XP VM running in VirtualBox.

In diags you can save bootmode=fastboot using SSH (idme command) or using the "install fastboot bundle" in diags exit menu.

Disconnecting or resetting the USB connecting drops out of fastboot mode. VirtualBox does not reset the connection when switching the kindle between the Win VM and linux Host, so it works good for me. And now we have win32 fastboot to.

Instead of MfgTool, there is also an (unfinished) sbloader port from the RockBox project, which I have shared with a couple of devs. With a little work, it could replace MfgTool for a linux-only solution...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-23-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
Aleyst
Zealot

Well that was completely unsuccessful, now i can't even get in to diags, black screen with like white lines in it.

arggh.

Know any local sydney-siders that managed to get it working, maybe i'll find someone to fix it for me lol.

EDIT!
It lives! ... Diags at least. Dis-regard msg.

Shall try again...

EDIT 2:
Still no luck booting to main, tried SSH, tried fastboot, tried Diags, tried MFGTool.
No luck.

Last edited by Aleyst; 06-23-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:19 AM   #12
geekmaster

Quote:
Well that was completely unsuccessful, now i can't even get in to diags, black screen with like white lines in it.

arggh.

Know any local sydney-siders that managed to get it working, maybe i'll find someone to fix it for me lol.

EDIT!
It lives! ... Diags at least. Dis-regard msg.

Shall try again...

EDIT 2:
Still no luck booting to main, tried SSH, tried fastboot, tried Diags, tried MFGTool.
No luck.
The black screen with white lines sounds like tying to boot diags with an almost dead battery.

Try changing to fastboot mode with MfgTool and letting it charge in that mode for a few hours, before continuing...
Old 06-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #13
Aleyst
Zealot

I fixed that, i'm back to square one with no booting to main.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:45 AM   #14
geekmaster

Perhaps the K4 images are bad? I cannot verify them now. Perhaps somebody else can.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:52 AM   #15
Aleyst
Zealot

I'm about to try with the images from hostar