Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2007, 08:37 AM   #16
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
I couldn't resist giving it a go. It works, and it was trivial.

Here's a simple 1-2-3 of what I did...

1) [Assuming you have not already installed the base version of BookDesigner already]
Download the base install program from here:
http://www.the-ebook.org/e107/e107_f...Designer40.zip
(following https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...94&postcount=1)
Unzip the installer program and run it.

2) To update the program, download and unzip into a folder...
http://www.the-ebook.org/e107/download.php?view.9
(following the link from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...70&postcount=2)

Then copy it into the folder that was created on the original install, and on top of existing files. For me that folder was:
"C:\Program Files\Book Designer 4.0"

It will replace the old files with new versions (so choose to replace all when there are warnings in the copy process).

3) Follow Harry's instructions from
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...55&postcount=1

It's a Word document to download, and it has full instructions on using BookDesigner to create Sony Reader files from PG HTML sources. But I just took the meat and potato pieces and used defaults and it was amazingly fast and easy! I'll learn the fancy formatting, clean up, illustrations and TOC stuff later.

Caution: I'm a newbie to using BookDesigner myself, so this is only what seems to have worked for me, written out by memory as best I could. Hopefully it helps someone, but it don't make any guarantees!

Conclusion:
WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!

Nothing but kudos for VVV for an absolutely amazing program. And to Harry for the amazing quick start guide that makes it trivial to get started. Together with my instructions here on the install (until a newer version comes out, at least), maybe it will be accessible to everyone. I wish I hadn't waited so long!

Honestly, having done nothing and basically not having to learn anything, I've created a nice Sony Reader .lrf file. Almost all with default settings and no trouble. It's like a miracle.

For programmers out there who remember structured programming, have you ever written a program by basically decomposing it until there was nothing really left to do, and by the time you finished you wondered how it could possibly be finished because you don't really feel like you did any work? That's what this felt like - everything was set up just right, and of course the hard stuff is all hidden in the program.

I'm ashamed to say that I'm only discovering this for myself (obviously I suspected something special based on all the other accolades), but I'm blown away. What an amazing job, vvv!!!!!

Warning:

Okay, one more point before I quit -- if you only follow the instructions from this post,
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...94&postcount=1
you won't get the Sony Reader option. Apparently that info is a bit outdated.

Unfortunately, I tried that first, and that false step was basically where all my time went. If I had these instructions I probably could have installed the program and created the book in about 15 mins start to finish.

Hope this helps. BD experts, please correct me where I may have got something wrong.
Bob, you should probably add these instructions to either to a sticky for either: a) BookDesigner & Updates, or b) add it to the Conversion Tools sticky. That way VVV, or a MobileRead Editor, can post links to the updated parts of BD and new people (an old) can be apprised of all new updates. The reason I say this is twofold; first, I had a tough time putting all the pieces together a while back (actually started once shortly after receiving the device and gave up due to lack of support), and secondly, because it seems to be a recuring question.

Your instructions are great, wish I would've had them the first time I had a go at it!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #17
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Thanks Bob!

For many reasons and mainly for the fact that RTF was sufficient for me, I had not tried BD. Now I will. This explanation will save lots of pain.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #18
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
Patricia, for PG books libprs500's HTML2LRF utility works great, it formats better than "Book Designer" as it supports the CSS formatting used by PG HTML books. It's very easy to install and use, and you don't need to edit anything.
Have a look here

All you actually need to do is:
* Install Windows package from https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/wiki
* Get your HTML zip file from Gutenberg and extract it, e.g. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19420/19420-h.zip
* Then run "html2lrf" on the .htm file in a command prompt.
* Copy the LRF file to your Sony Reader.
* Done

I've written a wrapper program to do all this (works with libprs500) as well called "gutlrf.pl" here
Using this program all you need to do is enter "gutlrf.pl 19420" at the command prompt and it does everything (downloading, extracting, adding page breaks etc) for you automatically producing a nicely named LRF file that you simply copy to your Sony Reader.
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #19
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Thank you everyone for your help. Bob Russell's instructions are a model of clarity; I wish that I had had them yesterday because they would have saved me some effort. But I'm going to copy them just in case.

Fangorn, I will give this a try. Thanks.

I seem to be spending more time at the computer than actually reading, but it's certainly interesting to be learning new things.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #20
Elltrain
Elltrain began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
The text I use as an example in the tutorial (there's a hyperlink in the Word doc) would be a good one to use.
In that example, simply do a find/replace, then make sure the "Regexp" box is checked, and put the following in the box:

_[a-zA-Z0-9]*_

This will decide the set I = { w | w is an alphanumeric string and w0 = _ and wn = _ where n = |w| }

Ok, ok.. sorry for the nerdiness. It will match exactly what you want, words ecompassed with _ characters. I would recommend just hitting f3, clicking title bar, pressing ctrl+i over and over, then doing a find/replace on every _ character in the document.

I couldnt find a way to automate this inside BD, but I would recommend the program Tasker, which will record keyboard and mouse strokes and play them back as fast as you need.

A much better option than doing it all by hand!

Edit: I notice in that particular book, inside one of the quotes is a ! character, which won't be caught. Anything you need inside that bracket can simply be added, so you can just use the regex:

_[a-zA-Z0-9!]*_

For some reason, [.]* and .* do not seem to work in BD, which is a little frustrating. Does anyone know why, or is this common regex syntax? There must be a way to match *anything* between two symbols.

Last edited by Elltrain; 05-17-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Elltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2007, 10:12 PM   #21
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Hmmm... Ok. I've followed directions, then given up and deleted then started over, Now I'm giving it another go... etc. I see what I've been doing wrong now. i didnt zip the update files to the book designer folder, I unzipped, then clicked on the book designer icon and it aparently wasnt working right becasu eit would never impoert a pic into the book i was trying to make. Now.. it seems to work. Except the program wont open any of the IRF files I've downloaded from this site. I guess it wont open a completed IRF file?

I'm going to try a quick follow Harry's directions and create a book.. We'll see what happens...
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #22
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Well.. I think i made it work.. In fact.. I'm certain I made it work. Without getting into the table of contents and chapter formatting and so on I 'made' an online Fanfic into a Sony lRF file... Pretty easy to do but I'm sure its a mess compared to the creations some of Y'all are coming up with... I wont know until I get my reader... WWWWHHHHEEERRREEE IIISSS IIITT??????????

suppose to be here May 22nd...

Last edited by Roy White; 05-18-2007 at 01:08 AM.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:06 AM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You know you can admire your work in the Connect Software, doncha?

You can download it from the Sony Reader site, if you haven't already done so. The only caveat is that the font will seem much bigger in the ConnSoft than it will on the Reader.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
The only caveat is that the font will seem much bigger in the ConnSoft than it will on the Reader.
The number of lines per page in small, medium, and large font size in "Connect" is the same as it is on the real Reader, however, so you can use it to see how the "layout" of your book will appear on the real Reader - the only reason the fonts look larger in Connect is that it's a physically larger page than the real Reader.

Connect provides such a good "emulation" that I use it for all my book development. The only real difference between Connect and the Reader that I've found is in the "Contents" page. The "Tab" on the right side of the "Connect" page that pops out to show the TOC displays considerably more text on each line than does the Contents page of the Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote