Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Looking for a low price reader.

My wife and I both had JetBook Lites. She can't find hers, since she came back from the hospital (she had a relatively minor stroke) and I am giving her mine until we find hers.

I would like to get a cheap reader to use until/unless we find hers. I prefer not to have a backlight, and most of my books are in epub format (although I could do a mass conversion if necessary) I read a lot and it is important that it be legible in normal light and preferably outdoors as well.

Any suggestions?
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
DJH, have you upgraded the firmware of your JBL to v16e?

I feel like I have a new device now that I have done so with mine. The pdf reflow is very satisfactory!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
DJH, have you upgraded the firmware of your JBL to v16e?

I feel like I have a new device now that I have done so with mine. The pdf reflow is very satisfactory!
Oh, I'm very happy with my JBL and I have upgraded the firmware.

But I don't want to pay a lot right now for another one. $100ish (on sale at NewEgg at the moment) is a bit pricey given the bills that we currently have. I will do it if I can't find an alternative, but I would rather not pay it...
Old 10-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
What is your price range? The WiFi K3 is $139 but I think that is over your limit.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Is there even one out there lower than $99, which seems to still be over the OP's price range?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
DJHARKAVY
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Is there even one out there lower than $99, which seems to still be over the OP's price range?
I don't know, which is why I am asking...

I hate to pay full (reduced) price for a new one when the old one is likely to be found eventually...

But it may come down to it anyway.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You might be able to find a used e-reader. There are a whole bunch of K2's available these days. I have no idea what the market is for Nooks. I know that this board has a market. Kindleboards.com has one as well.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #8
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
The only quality reader I know of that's sold for under 100 was the Sony300 when it was on clearance at Target, but I doubt there are many (if any) of those still floating around. Best bet is probably another jbl, a 300, or a K3.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Your best bet might be to find an older PDA... you can sometimes pick those up rather cheaply. Though finding ebook software that will work on it might be a challenge if it is too old. And you will probably be stuck with sites like fictionwise if you want to buy new books since you probably won't have any software that can do ePub.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote