Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
KunoK
Connoisseur
KunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3, Boox 60, K3, Sony T1, Sandra has a Sony505, 650, K3
GEN3 or Opus

I originally ordered a bebook. I ran into a disagreement with Endless Ideas about whether it is fair business to draw the payment from my account, and then send me a mail saying that they are out of stock, and expect to ship within 1.5 weeks.

As a result I am now considering a Cybook. I would go for the GEN3 since I prefer the bigger display. I see a lot of positive posts about the opus, and I wonder if it has any advantages over the GEN3, that I ought to know about.

I plan to use it for epub, but would like to use for pdf as well.
KunoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KunoK View Post
I originally ordered a bebook. I ran into a disagreement with Endless Ideas about whether it is fair business to draw the payment from my account, and then send me a mail saying that they are out of stock, and expect to ship within 1.5 weeks.

As a result I am now considering a Cybook. I would go for the GEN3 since I prefer the bigger display. I see a lot of positive posts about the opus, and I wonder if it has any advantages over the GEN3, that I ought to know about.

I plan to use it for epub, but would like to use for pdf as well.
If you want PDF, forget any eink reader that's 6" or smaller. But seriously, do yourself a favor and forget Bookeen altogether. The hassle people have had with Bookeen is not worth your trouble.

WHat you should do is read all the posts from CES and see what nice new device might meet your needs. For PDF, you do want a large screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
MarlaChristy
MarlaChristy began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
With the new update, pdf is now perfectly viable on the Opus.

I've had my Opus since November, I love it. The only black mark was the crashing, updated it no longer crashes (and from browsing other fora I notice that the other e-readers crash anyway).

I would say the difference is portablility, yes the Opus screen is smaller, but as I understand it because the dpi is the same we have a crisper image. In fact the image is what I love on the Opus, photos are really beautiful. There's also the little matter of the price ...
MarlaChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
With the new firmware out both devices are a good buy. It just depends on what you want to do.

If you prefer to read at home, on your couch or in bed consider the Gen3. If you want to carry you device with you, store it anywhere you like and have just a nice little reader, buy the Opus.

Though, if you do tend to buy the Opus give the PocketBook 360 in ivory a try. About the same size, but with a much, much better pdf rendering.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I personally prefer the 6" with the leather case but the form factor is a very personal thing. Bookeen did just announce a new 6" reader at CES but it's not on their website yet.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Bookeen just announced the Orizon (or something) that they look to price at $250... it will contain the ePub DRM firmware and also has a touch screen and WiFi.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...ny_colors.html

Interesting that there is nothing on their web site about it at all.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Presently (with current firmware) both models appear to meet people's expectations (apart from a bug with ePub firmware that makes it not read ebook metadata). If you like it as it is, buy it. Just don't count on any bugfixes or firmware updates in foreseeable future, *especially* if Bookeen released any announcements and gave any dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Interesting that there is nothing on their web site about it at all.
For Bookeen, this is expected behaviour, they'll probably update it in a month or two.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
Lake person
Enthusiast
Lake person began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Bebook, Pocketbook 360
I have a Bebook. It is a very reliable, solid ereader. The very long pause between turning pages makes me turn to my Cybook Gen3. It's lighter and faster. BUT, Bookeen Customer service is really awful. They put me through alot to get my Cybook fixed. I have purchase a new ereader. After much consideration I have purchased the Pocketbook 360. I would tell you about it but it hasn't arrived yet. Bottom line. Solid ereader, Bebook. Light fast ereader Cybook. But if you purchase, you are on your own. Take a look at the Pocketbook 301
Lake person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:49 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Having an opus made me aware of some anoyance of the gen (bearly accesible back button, pluging usb cable..)
If wou want a 5", opus, or PB360.
If you're to go 6", PRS 600, or wait for the orizon.

Quote:
BUT, Bookeen Customer service is really awful.
Bookeen is slow with update, but their support when you REALLY need them is one of the best I've seen.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:04 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you want PDF, forget any eink reader that's 6" or smaller. But seriously, do yourself a favor and forget Bookeen altogether. The hassle people have had with Bookeen is not worth your trouble.
Utterly untrue, Jon. When things go wrong, Bookeen's support is excellent. May I ask what bad experience you have personally had with Bookeen? You don't even own a Bookeen device, do you, so I hardly think that you're in a position to pass judgement on something that you know nothing about.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:57 AM   #11
KunoK
Connoisseur
KunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3, Boox 60, K3, Sony T1, Sandra has a Sony505, 650, K3
Thanks for all the replies. It is a big help. I will take up some of the advice and look at pocketbook as well. I will look at CES as well, but I am not after bigger than 6 inches. I want it to be portable as well. I am not too concerned about pdf. epub will be my primary concern. I don't mind the drm support. In Denmark it is legal to remove drm, but ONLY if it is necessary in order to view.
KunoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:15 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Utterly untrue, Jon. When things go wrong, Bookeen's support is excellent. May I ask what bad experience you have personally had with Bookeen? You don't even own a Bookeen device, do you, so I hardly think that you're in a position to pass judgement on something that you know nothing about.
What harry said !

Though i have to second jon's remark about pdf and 6".
Old 01-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #13
bkelly
bkelly is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Opus, Dell Axim X51V
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. It is a big help. I will take up some of the advice and look at pocketbook as well. I will look at CES as well, but I am not after bigger than 6 inches. I want it to be portable as well. I am not too concerned about pdf. epub will be my primary concern. I don't mind the drm support. In Denmark it is legal to remove drm, but ONLY if it is necessary in order to view.

No matter which Bookeen device you choose, you'll have the option of flashing the firmware to switch from epub to mobipocket if you find that you don't like the way epub books appear on the reader. You can even easily switch between epub and mobipocket at will without losing the ebooks already on the reader.

I've never touched a Gen3 so I can't provide a comparison between it and the Opus I own. But what I can say about the Opus (which I've said in other posts you may have seen) is that the buttons are harder to press than I would like. Normally I wouldn't care, but when this is combined with the smooth rounded edges of the device, I find that I'm unable to hold the device one-handed and use the two side buttons to advance the page because I have no grip. I've adapted by using the navigation button exclusively to advance the page.

While I'm disappointed that I can't comfortably use the side buttons, I'm not suggesting that what I've described is a negative aspect of the Opus. I'm just relaying my experience for other to use, or not use, as they want. Someone else with different sized hands may have a different experience. And I'm sure that a well-made case, in which the reader could reside while being used, would take care of this situation. (I think I need to start looking for a nice case with a flip cover.)
bkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard

While i hold my opus both hand, i have no problem with using the butons one hand. Though most of time, I use the midle button when using the opus one handed.
Being able to use it one hand is a big plus against p-book or the gen3.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #15
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Being able to use it one hand is a big plus against p-book or the gen3.
I regularly use my Gen3 one-handed with no problems at all.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote