Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
GinRummy
GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Arc
How is Calibre with the Arc?

I'm looking for a way to organize my books and wonder if any of my brothers and sisters in the Arc club have opinions or comments about using Calibre with it, or recommendations of other software.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
I'm looking for a way to organize my books and wonder if any of my brothers and sisters in the Arc club have opinions or comments about using Calibre with it, or recommendations of other software.
I don't have an Arc but use Calibre with my Galaxy Tab. I read most of my books with Aldiko Reader (free version). With Aldiko Sync (separate app) and Dropbox, I can sync all my content between my Android phone and tablet, right to the last point read. Kobo app does the same thing but only for kepubs and since I buy from multiple sources including Amazon, it didn't do everything I needed.
Calibre, when used with tools from "Apprentice Alf" allows me to read all my books, whatever the original format, in one reading app and keep everything synced. I highly recommend Calibre, it's really the best cataloging tool there is and has so many features and plugins available that you can much more than organizing your books with it...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I don't have an Arc but use Calibre with my Galaxy Tab. I read most of my books with Aldiko Reader (free version). With Aldiko Sync (separate app) and Dropbox, I can sync all my content between my Android phone and tablet, right to the last point read. Kobo app does the same thing but only for kepubs and since I buy from multiple sources including Amazon, it didn't do everything I needed.
Calibre, when used with tools from "Apprentice Alf" allows me to read all my books, whatever the original format, in one reading app and keep everything synced. I highly recommend Calibre, it's really the best cataloging tool there is and has so many features and plugins available that you can much more than organizing your books with it...
I've downloaded aldiko for reading what books I do on my arc. On my PC I use Calibre to manage my entire library and use it to load books onto my Kobo Touch (main reader). I"m not sure how you do the things you mention in your post...would you be able to send me a PM or make a post about how to use these tools?

Thanks!
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry! Doing this on my tablet and double-posted for some reason!

Last edited by Cdesja5; 11-26-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndersk View Post
I've downloaded aldiko for reading what books I do on my arc. On my PC I use Calibre to manage my entire library and use it to load books onto my Kobo Touch (main reader). I"m not sure how you do the things you mention in your post...would you be able to send me a PM or make a post about how to use these tools?

Thanks!
Load your selection of books onto your Arc using Calibre. You can plug it in or follow these instructions to do it wirelessly using the Calibre server:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...99&postcount=2
Note 2 changes: do not use Aldiko premium and now Calibre will tell you what your IP address is if you click on the little arrow next to the "Connect" icon, it will be in the drop down menu that appears.
For the rest of the sync process:
1- open a Dropbox account if you don't already have one. Install on PC and install the app on each device
2- make sure your Aldiko version is the free one (2.1) on all your Android devices, because permissions for Dropbox have changed, the premium version will not sync unless the tablet is rooted
3- purchase Aldiko sync from the Google Play Store (I think it costs about $1.99), install on each Android device
4- in Aldiko Sync, customize your settings, ensure that "sync to last point read" is selected
5- in Aldiko Sync, tap on "sync" folder, enter your Dropbox username and password
6- ensure wifi is "on" and allow your devices to do their initial sync, this takes more time the first time...
For the reading of any type of ebook in Aldiko, Google "Apprentice Alf" and follow the instructions.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 11-26-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
GinRummy
GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I don't have an Arc but use Calibre with my Galaxy Tab. I read most of my books with Aldiko Reader (free version). With Aldiko Sync (separate app) and Dropbox, I can sync ...
I"ve been messing around with calibre for a few days now and agree with you, Cdesja, it is a very good tool. Finding a few nice things from Apprentice Alf helped immensely too. The only problem is the kobo reader won't respond when I try to open a book from calibre on my arc so I may have to try that other app you mentioned, thanks!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Good E-Reader has posted a video tutorial here which deals with using Calibre, dropbox, and Adobe Digital Editions with the Arc.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
GinRummy

Thanks for that Rarebird, I'm slowly muddling my way through and learning as I go but tutorial short cuts will save me time better spent reading than organising.: )
Old 11-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
No problem. Happy to help.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote